Does anyone still buy and collect DVDs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by php111, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Yup...

2. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Yes, I do. I'm in the middle of cataloging them all. 4,000 already in the system & that's estimated to be a third of my collection. :yikes:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

This parallels my experience, I hang out in Goodwill and other thrift stores and pick them up for about 2 1/2 dollars apiece

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. Michael

nice! 12,000! DAMN!

5. Michael

I'm spoiled at a buck or less no matter what the title and multiple disc sets as well...box set are more.

6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

There's also bonus features that are still DVD exclusive, but there's other SH Forum threads for that.

Michael likes this.
  7. Michael

yes another perk!

8. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Yeah, definitely -- and Blu-rays. CDs, and Vinyl.

broshfab4 likes this.
  9. AVTechMan

AVTechMan Forum Resident

Yep I still buy DVD's as well, and even some VHS on some items. My late mom had some good stuff on VHS from the early 80's that will never be seen on any other format. I like Blu as well, but I try to buy only movies on Blu that I don't have on any other format. I still have a lot of movies on DVD's and plan to keep them. I don't stream movies; I built my own media server to where I can pick whatever movie I want to watch anytime, no commercials and no annoying edits.

And VHS...well I have some cartoon shows (like the Super Mario Brothers Super Show) that I recorded when they originally aired on TV with the original music intact. Can't get that on DVD either since it was all changed.

10. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Hell yes. Picked up a few season sets and got a gift card to boot from BB. DVD's, Blu's....CD's. Still buying them. And will continue to do so.

11. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

As with CD's....many DVD's have plummeted in price, at least used stuff, and I buy when I think of a title I want.

Usually around $5 more or less.

It's a no brainer.

12. AJH

AJH Senior Member

I just purchase Blu-ray discs. I only purchase a DVD when I want something specific, and it's only available on DVD.

Myke likes this.
  13. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

Absolutely. I love them and Blurays as well, plus physical CD's. I see no reason why I should purchase a download as I might as well be purchasing air.

-Richard

misko and Rocker like this.
  14. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Going to buy Love And Mercy on DVD.

15. Michael

if it works that's all that matters.

16. Michael

I get them for a buck...more to enjoy and collect. I only buy ones that are in excellent condition...usually there are hundreds to choose from.

broshfab4 likes this.
  17. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

There is a bookshelf built into the front desk of the motel that I operate. Today I keep it filled with used DVD's that I buy for $2 to $2.50 apiece. I have a 60" JVC DLP rear projection TV and they look and sound great. We have 32" TV's in the rooms and the DVD resolution is more than enough for that size TV.

If there is a special blockbuster movie with all the special effects, like Avatar, then I will buy the Blu-Ray, otherwise, the DVD's are just fine.

Since the advent of 4k resolution TV's, the manufactures are all reminding us of how much more superior 4k is over Blu-ray.

alexpop likes this.
  18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Stopped collecting Bd steelbooks'either Film title unavailable, or don't like cover artdesign...maybe ' just broke.:)

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. Django

Django Forum Resident

I still buy a few a year.

20. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I will ALWAYS favor physical media, so yes, I still buy plenty of DVDs and Blu-rays. Knowing that I have a piece of entertainment in my hand sure beats going to Netflix or Amazon streaming and finding that the movie I want to watch is M.I.A.

Rocker likes this.
  21. Michael

just got a few dozen used gems!

22. Michael

love the real deal as well..problem is we'll eventually run out of room! we at least some of us will...

23. Michael

sometimes i wish i could say that!

24. Michael

when do we feel we have enough?

25. DrewHarris

DrewHarris Forum Resident

I still do! I also started my Blu-ray collection not that long ago!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.