Does anyone still buy and collect DVDs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by php111, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I did not read this! LOL

2. Michael

MGM back in the 90's did many fake WS DVDs...IIIR, there was a class action lawsuit? that may have been your problem?

3. Dirkwkirk

Dirkwkirk Forum Resident

Five finger discount.

Jimmy B. and Michael like this.
  4. Michael

WHAT IS THIS? A CONFESSION?

5. Dirkwkirk

Dirkwkirk Forum Resident

Good for the soul.

Jimmy B. and Michael like this.
  6. Michael

Indubitably...

7. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Well that's what's goofy with this disc. In a standard DVD player, it plays in the 4:3 format just fine. There are no options for widescreen. It's just a plain vanilla 4:3 disc.

But play that disc in a Blu-ray player (in my case a Sony Blu-ray player), which hadn't been invented yet in 1999, and the player, regardless of settings, will expand the disc to widescreen, keeping the bottom of the image intact, but chopping off the heads. Just plain weird.

But no matter. This is one of those "problems that ain't a problem anymore" situation. I've got the Criterion Blu-ray, and the film is streaming in high-def on Amazon at the moment.

Michael likes this.
  8. Michael

LOL...yes the good old bad days when we were at their mercy...

9. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I considered ripping and compressing discs (legality notwithstanding) into digital files on an HDD then streaming them through a program like Plex. But to me, it just seems too time-consuming even with a fast CPU, and I will never be happy with the quality compared to the original. One must also consider the cost of HDD space, having to power on the computer and start Plex every time you want to watch something. At the end of the day, it's just easier for me to get the disc out, put it in my Xbox and watch it. As for streaming, you're not really buying the content. You're paying for permission to stream it and that permission can be withdrawn at any time without your knowledge. The quality is pretty good but I don't like the idea I could lose access to it.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  10. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Recent DVD purchases: American Gangster / Blind Side / Book Club / Failure To Launch / Harvey / John Wayne 10 Movie Collection / Little
    Women / Mask / Sisterhood Of The Traveling Pants 1 & 2 / Some Kind Of Wonderful / Somewhere In Time / St. Elmo's Fire / TCM Greatest
    Classic Legends-John Wayne / W.C. Fields Comedy Favorites Collection / Westerns-8 Movies
    [​IMG]

Hexwood and Grand_Ennui like this.
  11. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Picked up a few DVDs lately:

The movie "The Marshall" and the complete series of "Wanted: Dead or Alive"

12. cdcollector87

cdcollector87 Forum Resident

You need a pretty fast CPU, fast optical drives and lots of time to do this. Not worth it in most cases. Like you said, easier to just get the disc out.

13. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Since the lockdowns started I have been restraining my purchases, since many are from 3rd party suppliers. After waiting about 4 weeks for my last delivery (Portrait of Dorian Gray), I have just ordered The Loved One.

14. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Today's new additions: A Millionaire For Christy / Affairs Of Dobie Gillis / Bundle Of Joy / Crossfire / Deep In My Heart / Dive Bomber /
    Great Caruso / Impossible Years / King Of The Underworld / Mrs. Brown, You've Got A Lovely Daughter / Unsinkable Molly Brown / When
    The Boys Meet The Girls / Where The Boys Are - All MOD (Not listed as such) but I'm glad to have them.
    [​IMG]

PhantomStranger likes this.
  15. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I still don't think we've reached the bottom of the barrel price-wise. DVD's just keep getting cheaper. One of the better retailers is going out of business sadly, but it also means they have been selling off their stock for next to nothing (Second Spin). I bought a few titles and they just sent me an entire box of stuff

This really does remind me of when everyone was giving away their vinyl records in the 90's. DVD's don't have the same aesthetic and I am not sure they have been around long enough to have any sentimental tug attached to them, but I still think there will be a collector's market eventually. Now is the time to stockpile though. Collecting DVD's is currently the cheapest hobby in town. I'm just running out of room!

16. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

The last few DVDs I've purchased have been new... I'll be happy when this whole mess is over (or at least settled down) so the thrift stores can reopen... I like to dig thru their donated DVDs and CDs...

rikki nadir likes this.
  17. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

It's now almost a year later and I'm just finishing up Season 3... this set is taking forever to get through! :p

(A whole year has gone by? WTF?) :eek:

18. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

"Million Dollar Duck" / "Marlowe" / "The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas" - Some budget titles I
    wanted to add to my collection. "MDD"-I like Disney movies, "M"-I kile James Garner & this movie
    also stars Bruce Lee, "TBLWIT" I like both Burt & Dolly & I always wanred to see & own this one.
    [​IMG]

19. Michael

anyone wanna buy 6,000 DVDs?

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  20. Holerbot6000

MVD is having a pretty considerable sale on exploitation and horror titles right now. If you ever wanted to pick up a copy of Satan's Cheerleaders on Blu-Ray, now may be the time. I certainly spent the rent.

Midnight Movie Society Spring 2020 Sale

200 Motels likes this.
  21. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Same here, I started The Rockford Files last year and have only managed to get to Disc 4 of Season 1!

EG.

22. cdcollector87

cdcollector87 Forum Resident

Does anyone here buy movies in iTunes? I am considering switching permanently. I picked up a Roku Ultra not long ago and I love that I can use the AppleTV app on it. iTunes also lets me download my purchases to an HDD for backup so I'm not too worried about losing access to things. The quality is less but it's watchable. Plus I'm starting to run out of shelf space for my Blu-ray collection.

23. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

Mask! I love that film. I've always preferred Cher's acting to her music. Mermaids is another good one. What's Some Kind of Wonderful like? It's one of the few 1980s coming-of-age films that passed me by.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  24. 200 Motels

200 Motels Forum Resident

Man, thank you for that link. I bought 20 DVDs/Blu-Rays from this sale. I love the low budget horror flicks.

25. Holerbot6000

You bet. It's amazing how many little revival houses are out there on the net. I keep finding more. Chris Devore shared that video of that guy's huge collection in Australia and he had all those amazing special editions from companies I've never heard of. I want that Maggie Q statue! :love: And you can really save some money if you sign up for their emails and such.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.