Does anyone still buy and collect DVDs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by php111, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Oh yeah. About to buy a new laptop which has to have a DVD-RW drive for my rather ridiculous collection. Ha

2. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

I’m leaning that way more every day due to lack of space, and for the ability to stream the content to any device (not just the tv) - moreso for tv series than movies because there are so many tv series that are available in HD on iTunes that have no BluRay release, so the “choice” is easy.

I’ve bought far more tv series on iTunes than movies.

Indeed 99% of the movies I have from iTunes are merely from the code that comes with some BluRays. I’ve only straight-up bought maybe 4 or 5 movies on iTunes - and they were movies that haven’t been on BluRay yet and probably never will be: Pretty Persuasion, Defending Your Life, Paperhouse, a couple others.

For movies I still look first for a BluRay with an included iTunes download code, but if studios ever decide to just stop releasing discs I think I’ll be relieved. “Freedom of choice / is what you got / Freedom from choice/ is what you want”.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  3. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I have hundreds of movies I have bought through iTunes or other places that I play through our AppleTV. I buy them mostly when they go on sale for 4.99 to 9.99. I think the quality is excellent. I will buy blu rays of Marvel and Star Wars type movies just because of all the action and the frame rate needed to look great. Usually not a problem though.

4. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I mainly use VUDU but before it came along I redeemed a couple through iTunes, UltraViolet, & a few others. When Movies Anywhere came along I linked all of my accounts together & watch everything through VUDU.

A quick FYI for you all. If you see any titles from Mill Creek Entertainment that include a digital copy, that digital copy is exclusive to their site. That means you can't watch it on VUDU, iTunes, or anywhere else but the Mill Creek service.

5. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I bought a few from Vudu and use Movies Anywhere sometimes. Vudu service has now been sold to Fandango.
    There is a app called Cheap Charts and a website that lists all the sales each day for both digital and physical media. Here is the iTunes part: Best Blu-ray Deals
    I think the last DVD I bought was a year or more ago and it was a concert DVD. Damn Yankees Uprising - Live!.

6. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

7. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I've purchased several from them through the years because they have a lot of great titles.
    My latest purchase was "Blue Denim" (OMG! This is such a great movie & should be in
    everybody's library!) & "Absolute Beginners" (I still haven't seen this one but I wanted the
    best quality version & it has David Bowie in it so that makes it good).
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

In this lockdown I scanned all 3000 of my dvds and blurays (which amounts to 4-5000 different movies.) I've been pricing them and getting ready to put some online that I feel I could do without. I was surprised how many titles go for a lot: the Whitaker Twilight Zone, Night of the Demons 3, Rose Red, Cocoon 1 & 2, Swamp Thing, Beach Party, Slumber Party Massacre trilogy and Sorority House Massacre 1 & 2 (which should fetch over 50 dollars.) Been kinda fun revisiting my past as an ebayer, although sadly I am selling because I just don't watch them much anymore.

Michael likes this.
  9. Basically cult stuff that may not see another physical edition before physical media dies out. Anything controlled by Disney is especially unlikely to ever get re-released.

audiomixer likes this.
  10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Swamp Thing...are you referring to the unedited "Boobs" DVD that was replaced with an edited version?

11. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

No, but I have owned and sold that one before.

Had a $350 day selling only 10 items. Not bad in this day of uploads/downloads. Just finished watching the star of the day: Godzilla vs. Biollante. Crazy, I remember a time not to long ago when Biollante was $7 new pretty much everywhere, I ended up buying it for $2 at a pawn shop years ago. That bluray alone just paid for my birthday present to myself, the Criterion Godzilla Showa 15 movie Collection on bluray.

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

OK, thanks...

13. Holerbot6000

Bad 80's horror and sci-fi are hot right now. Softcore crap from the 80's and 90's is always hot too. It's kind of hilarious seeing awful awful movies go for relatively big dollars for no other reason than that they're scarce. Just because it's rare doesn't mean it somehow transcends it's crappiness but each to their own and I do have a lot of crap in my own collection that I hold dear.

One thing I have noticed though is that something will go for relatively big dollars one minute and then suddenly be available for peanuts. Sometimes it's a sign that someone is trying to foist a bootleg on you, but a lot of time the price just drops precipitously with no rhyme or reason. Not sure how that dynamic works. Further evidence to me that the collectors market for dvd's is very vague and erratic.

14. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Picked up a few DVD titles at Big Lots last night-

"The Sting"
    "When the Daltons Rode"
    "King Kong" 2005 version (I already owned it, but bought it because I like the tin case packaging) *
    "The Adventures of Francis the Talking Mule" (4 movie pack)
    "South Park" Season 18 (I was hoping to find more seasons, but they only had this one season-there weren't even other copies of this season)

*Just looking at "King Kong", and noticed it's actually a Blu-Ray/DVD combo pack.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  15. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I've been going to Big Lots for the last couple months. I actually go to three of them around me. I've found & purchased several John Wayne & Marilyn Monroe discs on DVD & Blu-Ray. I'm going there today too. Great titles at great prices!

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  16. Holerbot6000

I've heard good things about Big Lots dvd selections. We certainly have enough of them here. Maybe that will be a destination when they let us out to play again.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  17. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

The next time you go shopping for food & necessities will be a good time to go there.

18. Holerbot6000

I almost did the Big Lot thing but then the mailman showed up with my huge box of Twilight Time Blu's so I guess I am going to be really busy for awhile. Kudos to whoever pointed that out. The MVD and Twilight sales were two of the best sales I've seen in ages and I scarfed up a lot of stuff. Vinegar Syndrome Black Friday is just around the corner too. Quarantine and DVD's go together very well. Booze and pot optional, of course. :unhunh:

Just a few highlights:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

PhantomStranger and audiomixer like this.
  19. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. .

I don't collect DVDs but my last movie I got was a DVD:
    Pickup On South Street.
    Excellent movie.

stepeanut likes this.
  20. Grand_Ennui

They didn't have much in the way of John Wayne movies when I went-Just a three pack, which had two movies I already owned, so I skipped it... Nothing as far as Marilyn Monroe movies go, but they had a Shirley Temple movie pack if she's of any interest to you. (I am not in the market for Shirley Temple films, but since I'm guessing you must like older films, I thought I'd mention it to you.)

They did have a good amount of Blu-Rays, but I didn't look at them, for no other reason than I don't have my Blu-Ray player hooked up. I should have checked them out though, for the day when I do get it hooked up.

21. Grand_Ennui

I know you mentioned that you just received a package of movies, but if you get near Big Lots, you still may want to check them out... You never know what'll show up there...

Dollar Tree has DVDs and Blu-Rays too, and as their name indicates, they're only a buck. I found two DVDs there not too long ago.

22. Holerbot6000

Instead I went back to Twilight Time and bought even MORE Blu-Rays. I have to say, whoever curates their films does a bang up job. They consistently put out some of my favorite movies that I think might fly under the radar a little - stuff like Bandolero, Hell and High Water and Chato's Land. They have a real eye for the slightly offbeat and have rapidly become one of my favorite revival houses for physical media. It's refreshing to have a few more sites available that aren't all about retro gore and boobies. Not that there is anything wrong with that!

23. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up on the Shirley Temple movie pack. As for the Blu-Rays, definitely check them out. There's a bunch of Blu-Ray/DVD combos. The Marilyn Monroe & John Wayne movies I got were mostly on Blu-Ray. Let us know how you do on your next search.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  24. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Especially now with Disney+ up and running. Also when they did the FOX deal, they now control the FOX and MGM home video libraries. Very few of those titles will ever see physical media releases ever again; unless it's a Star Wars title.

25. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.