Does anyone still buy and collect DVDs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by php111, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I also have a new UHD player and OLED TV plus an upgraded sound system so I'm all in.

2. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Buying discs is very tempting when one of my close friends has a 120” screen, 4K UHD projector and an Atmos 7.2 sound system specified and partially installed by yours truly. I won’t buy any more DVDs but if a classic film is on Blu-ray, for less than $5, it may go end up at Steve’s.

Regarding catalog re-issues of oddball films, I endorse buying them because they will go out of print and physical media is disappearing. The wacky action, thriller, martial arts, horror, Brotherhood Of The Wolf is coming to UHD for $28. I predict this will be climbing in value.

3. concorde3

concorde3 Active Member

If I want to watch a movie, I buy it on Blu-ray!

4. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

There are some DVDs that I'm still thankful that I bought. Recently we did a rewatch of STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE, and now we've moved on to STAR TREK: VOYAGER. All of those are available on both Amazon and Paramount+ streaming - and they both look horrible compared to my DVDs played on my Blu-ray player, where they look respectable and can be enjoyed. I'll choose a hard copy over streaming any day.

5. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I have nothing against streaming but more and more, I appreciate the immediacy and flexibility of physical media. I feel like I have become something of a self-curator - I now watch more DVD's than I do actual TV and I am okay with that...

Again, highly recommend what is going on over at Kino Lorber. They are uncovering all kinds of oddball films in every genre and some of them are so good. Last night I watched Invitation to a Gunfighter, which was great and Naked Alibi, which was even better. I had never heard of either and now am proud to have them in my collection. KL deserves a thread all it's own. Their sales kick butt too.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Manutius, NaturalD, Morpheus and 3 others like this.
  6. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I'm holding off until Criterion starts issuing 4K. Which, at this point, I'm assuming they never will.

7. Holerbot6000

Their Blu's are so good though. I wouldn't hesitate. I just watched Black Narcissus recently. Absolutely stunning.

Morpheus and 93curr like this.
  8. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

The market is not growing like the Blu-ray market did.

Michael likes this.
  9. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I have that too; it's excellent.

audiomixer likes this.
  10. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

It must be hard for the studios to judge based off of sales figures. A lot of the more current releases are packaged as 4K+BD in the same set. I've got a lot of those, but how would they know that the 4K discs aren't being played?

11. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

There aren't that many companies making players as compared to the Bluray era.

Michael likes this.
  12. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

I bought their Sergio Leones’ Dollars trilogy from 2019 recently on dvd. Cool reversible artwork for the covers and a raft of extras on bonus discs. Picture quality looks mint from a 4K transfer.

There was a bit of controversy over the fact ‘The Good, The Bad And The Ugly’ isn’t the true ‘International cut’ but that was rectified on Kino Lorbers new 4K UHD release.

13. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

They'll probably just to go 4K on their streaming service or do they already?

14. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Yes, but not Blu-ray. I'm waiting for 8K Blac-ray. ;)

15. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

:D Yeah...like Nouveau Laserdiscs minis....$100 each!

16. Dirkwkirk

Dirkwkirk Forum Resident

I will buy a DVD once in a while to watch while working out. Pink Floyd Pulse and Thief with James Caan are "newer" ones.

jason88cubs likes this.
  17. Holerbot6000

Vinegar Syndrome is having their big mid-year sale. Their sale prices are never great but they have some interesting new titles. I can't believe they remastered stuff like Alien from LA and Alley Cat. That's why I keep going back...

18. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

As long as they can negotiate fair licensing fees from the owners and secure quality master services their customers won’t care what the prices are.

19. Holerbot6000

They definitely do put out a quality product too. They are very consistent.

20. trusso

trusso Forum Resident

Any guy on the street who has the means to play dvds in a house is not that down and out.

21. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

Vinegar Syndrome has some gold in their catalog. Some Call It Loving, Don’t Panic, I Start Counting, Body Melt, Liquid Sky… They do amazing work releasing films in the best quality possibly from really obscure areas of cult movie-dom.

22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I don’t know if your being provocative, but this individual only intention is to sell the items for $$$$$.

23. trusso

trusso Forum Resident

ok. Makes sense now. I thought he was watching them.

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, an excellent company...check out The Beastmaster of which they just released it on BD for 50% off during their sale that ends Monday...the 4K is sold out...

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

streaming! but there will always be a company making BD players...IMO. : )

Grand_Ennui likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.