Does anyone still buy and collect DVDs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by php111, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Senior Member

My wife thought she put the Blu-ray in the Best Buy cart (online) but it ended up being the DVD set; no matter, the episodes look fantastic upscaled by our Panasonic DP-UB9000 UHD Blu-ray player. No problems with the image quality whatsoever.

Funky54 likes this.
  2. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I buy them, then rip them to my media server, then donate them to my local library.

Same with Bluray.

mdm08033 likes this.
  3. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I'm still happy to buy some stuff on DVD. Just treated myself to the complete boxset of The Sweeney. Never saw it before, but caught the first episode on TV the other day and enjoyed it, even if it's a bit more blokey than I am used to.

Also bought a vanilla Death Wish DVD for a quid for the same reason. It'll look fine. No need to go for Blu-ray every time.

EG.

SirCandy likes this.
  4. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

I pampered myself today, but it was easy to do knowing that I can sell a couple of them for the money I spent on all. It was a 50% off day at our local used bluray/dvd place, so I got:

BLURAY
    Inception $2 (hologram cover)
    Under Siege 2 $2 (my fave Seagal movie)
    Godzilla King of the Monsters $2 (meh movie, but I sorta need it since I have Godzilla vs. Kong)
    It Chapter 1 and 2 $3
    Wall-E $3 (for my daughter)
    Nightmare on Elm Street 7 movie Collection $15 (eh, I splurged)
    Star Trek 1-6 movies $6.50 (not a huge fan but, what the hay)

DVD
    Star Wars Complete Saga $10 (with the original theatrical versions of the first trilogy!!!)
    Thin Man 4 movie collection $1.67
    Frankenstein - Legacy collection $1.67
    Dracula Hammer 4 favorites $1.67
    Topper & Topper Returns $1.67
    Animaniacs Complete Series $7.50 (could easily sell for $30 or more)
    Adventure Time Season 2 $2 (for daughter)
    Adventure Time Season 3 $2 (for daughter)
    One Step Beyond $3 (the cheap 50 episodes collection, kinda fun and Newland is an interesting person)
    Scooby Doo 50 Cartoon $5 (really got it for someone else but I might keep it, cool that it cover 9 different shows)
    Scooby Doo and the Witch's Ghost $1.67 (ok, so I'm a man-child)
    Scooby Doo Where's My Mummy? $1.67 (the last year or so I watched for the first time 32 of the 35 Scooby Doo Movies, this is one of the ones left which I can't find at the library or elsewhere.)

Also on Ebay I recently bought Dead Heat 1988 dvd, Back to the Future Trilogy Bluray, and Bug 1975 dvd for around $15 total. Also splurged with Caltiki 1959 on Bluray for $16.

Yeah, I buy a lot of movies, and need to purge a bunch too.

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes...last one was a Christmas movie on DVD...no BD available.

6. Michael

nice prices! good for you. : )

7. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

It has been repeated for years on ITV.

HotblackDesiato likes this.
  8. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Yep, but with adverts. I don't do live TV, and adverts become a pain when it's 3 or 4 an hour. Just by chance happened on the first episode, so it felt a good moment to see what it is was like.

EG.

9. Michael

maybe so but the BDs look amazing....just giving you the heads up. I have the DVDs as well...spent a fortune on them season by season as released back then....worthless now! well I do have a scaled down TZ Episode Guide Book that was included in the S1 DVD set.

10. Michael

I see your point, but for me especially new movies there's no other way but BD...I am not interested in buying a new movie on DVD if I like it and want to own it...

11. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

When they first showed it on the ITV Player, there was no adverts. The breaks were there, but it was just a brief interval and then back to the program. The problem with shows that had adverts is that you can tell when the adverts were shown. I guess The Sweeney seemed realistic back in the day, but having seen the entire run on the ITV Player, I wasn't sure I would repeat it enough for a boxset. Rumour has it that the two main characters are named after the title character in Get Carter, obviously a big influence on The Sweeney.

12. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I recall watching an episode of it here and there when it originally aired, but have no real recollections of any of the episodes: That said, for $10.00, I'd have bought it too if I seen it lying there...

13. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I enjoy seeing London and the surrounding areas as I remembered them growing up, as much as the plots! :D

EG.

Rachael Bee likes this.
  14. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

The first episode was shot around Peckham Rye.

I don't think the pilot was ever available on the ITV Player, nor in some DVD sets. I think it was on YouTube. I haven't seen the films in years, but I hear they are largely forgettable.

15. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I was in a chain of stores that sell secondhand discs just last week (CEX in the UK). I picked up some Blu-Rays, but they have a ton of DVD's for sale. I asked how they sold and was surprised to hear that they sell more DVD than Blu-Ray.....

16. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I don't know how much they charge in CEX, but DVDs sell very cheaply in charity shops near me. Often 8 or 10 for £1. At that price, who would pay to stream old movies.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

When I visited the UK in 2019, I visited a software chain whose name escapes me right now. Mostly a video game reseller, but they had plenty of BDs/DVDs as well.

Goldmine for cheap 3D Blu-rays! 3D BD was more successful in the UK than in the US, so those discs are more easily found.

I bought a bunch and never paid more than maybe £4 a disc.

A few don't work in Region A - I should've checked them first! - but they were so cheap that it's no biggie.

Dave S likes this.
  18. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Strangely, I never bothered to check what they're asking for DVD's. There's also the myth that DVD looks bad on 4K TV's. Sure, they don't look like a 4K transfer, but if the DVD was done right, they're perfectly watchable, imo.

BrettyD and SandAndGlass like this.
  19. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

If available I buy 4k, if not available, I buy Blu-Ray, if not available, I buy DVD. Point is though I still buy physical video media.

I sell, engineer and install a lot of AV racks and try to recommend folks buy physical content. When I sell Players I always recommend the Panasonic Players. I’m a Sony dealer and wont sell the Sony players anymore. I personally have an 820 and a 420. The 420 is incredible for the money. You cannot buy anything as reliable and good at that price point.

SandAndGlass, Rachael Bee and Oatsdad like this.
  20. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Why is that?

21. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Since I jumped on the BD wagon I only by DVDs of new releases of classic stuff that will not be on BD. Classicflix has several DVD only releases because 35MM elements aren't available.

22. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

Way too many unhappy clients including myself. Went through 3 x-800’s in my personal rig. Constantly locked up, buffered.. had to unplug for over two days and turn back on just to get them to stop locking up. X-700’s very poor video quality, buffering issues, several formats it’s supposed to play gives it trouble. I can’t afford that with my clients. Sony customer service was a nightmare.. they did send me two new ones, but I finally gave up and through it in the trash.

Panasonics are rock solid. I have at least a dozen out there working flawlessly.

23. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

CEX do (or used to) even sell Blu-Rays dirt cheap. I've found some in the past for 50p or £1. Often it's a good way to buy replacement cases for multi-disc sets!

EG.

24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

CEX - that's the chain I visited in 2019! Thanks for the reminder! :pineapple:

Eric_Generic likes this.
  25. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I saw some Blu-Rays for £1 or £1.50 last week. I spent £50 in there. I did see some titles that cost £12, or £17, so the prices vary a lot. When going to them, I don't go in with a wish list as such. You never know what they're going to have, so I go in there just to see if anything grabs me.

I'm thinking about changing my buying habits for the new year though - I may get 4K discs only from now on.

Eric_Generic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.