Does anyone still buy and collect DVDs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by php111, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I know of several who sell their unwanted stock to Music Magpie.

Dave S likes this.
  2. cdcollector87

cdcollector87 Forum Resident

Nope I bought an Apple TV 4K box awhile back and switched entirely to iTunes for movies. I think it's just easier to do that than to wait for a disc to be shipped, then have to put it in the player. Then you have to find a place for all the cases. I have had discs where taking it out and putting it back into the case too many times caused the center of the disc to crack, so I put most of mine into a few of those large Case Logic 330-disc binders. With iTunes purchases, if I want to watch something while traveling, I can just download it and load it onto my phone or stream it from there or my tablet. I am not worried about things being 'removed' from my library. Apple has said that you own the right to use that copy in perpetuity with a purchase, even if it's no longer in the store. So...

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  3. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Senior Member

Believe me -- there are plenty of other reasons to want or lust after an Oppo. Not just because of the analog outs. You are ABSOLUTELY benefitting from their processing (the Cambridge CXUHD, which I owned and which is a direct clone of the Oppo UDP-203 with the exact same MediaTek processor in it, upscaled regular DVDs significantly better than my $999 Panasonic UB9000) and other elements such as build quality, customer support (at the time) and overall pride of ownership. Lack of "beyond 7.1" analog outs is hardly a dealbreaker for one of these machines; I'd kill for a new Oppo right now because of the features they offered compared to, say, the Panasonics (I gave a laundry list of what the Panasonics don't support that the Oppos did in a previous post).

4. Kaskade10729

First of all, my response should have been primarily directed at Funky54 because I believe it was him/her who posted the original comment about Sony TVs (but I replied to you because I saw there was some love of the TVs coming from your way).

Secondly, what "Japanese releases" are you referring to? I was talking about Sony TELEVISIONS, as I owned an SXRD years ago that was excellent...what disc were you referring to?

5. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

We use them differently. While my 93, 103, 105 were used at a time when music was listened to from CD’s They primarily were for physical Home Theater content. Today.. they offer nothing I would use. They would scan a disc prepare bitstream and hand it to my AVR that processes the signal because I always use 11 channels. So my perspective is they are no longer relative in the market. None of the systems I engineer, Sell, install or service would benefit in any way from the features you may use. 99.9% of all my clients will stream and some buy 4k physical content. I dont have a single client who rips computer files and pirates movies to payback. None of them listen to music with CD’s they all are either vinyl or Digital or both. So Just because I dont see how they benefit me or my clients doesnt mean they dont fill an niche for others. They sure are made well. I enjoyed them when I had them. But have no use for them now.

6. Kaskade10729

Yup. We DEFINITELY use them differently.

Between the build quality, upscaling abilities and usable features for folks like me with huge non-anamorphic DVD collections, the Oppos were a godsend. I wish I could have picked up a UDP-203 before the company closed shop in the U.S.

7. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Seems funny coming from a guy whose forum name is cdcollector87. I guess that doesn't apply to DVDs

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  8. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

The classic "Brief Encounter"

Mulletproofvest likes this.
  9. jason88cubs

I bought Loverboy, The Lady Refuses, The Last Man On Earth, and a Rober Mitchum collection of Angel Face, Home From The Hill, Out Of The Past and The Sundowners

10. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I picked up "Into The Void", it looks great upscaled by my Sony Blu player.

11. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

When needed. I bought privates progress on dvd just before Christmas. Its not out on bluray. its a wonderful comedy.

12. alex1976delarge

alex1976delarge Forum Resident

I buy tv shows on dvd unless I can get them on blu. I’ve got an all region blu/dvd player so when wife and I visited UK back in November I picked up Broadchurch on blu but Year Of The Rabbit on dvd because that’s all it was available on. Over the last year since buying the player I purchased The Day Today, Toast of London, and Brass Eye all on dvd (big Matt Berry and Chris Morris fan). I still have a huge dvd collection but that’s only because I just don’t feel like upgrading all those movies onto blu, plus I still have quite a few that have never seen a blu release.

jason88cubs likes this.
  13. jason88cubs

Meatballs part 2
    Porkys 2+3
    Film Noir Classics I (The Big Heat / 5 Against the House / The Lineup / Murder by Contract / The Sniper)
    Westworld
    Invitation to a Gunfighter

14. Kaskade10729

What about the original classic?

905 likes this.
  15. Kaskade10729

One of the last DVDs purchased (wife got it as a gift because I'm a fan of the story)...

[​IMG]

jason88cubs likes this.
  16. jason88cubs

have it already

905 and Kaskade10729 like this.
  17. Kaskade10729

Cool.

On DVD or Blu? Was it ever released on BD?

905 likes this.
  18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yes, there's a "Porky's" Blu-ray. Available on its own or as part of a 3-movie set with "Bachelor Party" and "Revenge of the Nerds".

The 2 sequels are out on BD as well.

Kaskade10729 likes this.
  19. jason88cubs

just dvd

Kaskade10729 likes this.
  20. Kaskade10729

Thanks for the info, Oats; ahhhhh....these were classics I grew up with as a kid. I already have the Panty Raid Edition of Revenge of the Nerds (DVD) but I don't watch it all that often anymore (I like the sequel too, Nerds in Paradise, but never got around to picking it up on physical media). I liked Bachelor Party as a kid, too, but I don't think enough to own and rewatch. Tawny looked sexy AF in it, though....and in that Whitesnake video.

Ironically, the last film I watched in our home theater, John Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars, had Robert Carradine (from Nerds) in it (he was also in Carpenter's Escape From L.A.). So weird to see him "grown up" without the whole "nerd" getup....

jason88cubs likes this.
  21. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

My DVD/Bluray collection has been getting very little love over the last 2-4 years. It's just sooooo easy with Netflix/Apple/Plex/Tubi/YouTube/UTorrents. etc......

22. Kaskade10729

23. Kaskade10729

[​IMG]

905, Bingo Bongo and jason88cubs like this.
  24. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Yeah, this morning.

Buyer's market, just like CD's.

jason88cubs likes this.
  25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I never abandoned any of my physical product...I need no internet to enjoy them...and that's important.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.