Does anyone still buy and collect DVDs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by php111, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

I'm starting to get the urge to start getting some of those early Special Edition/Collectors Edition DVDs from the early-00s, Perhaps it's nostalgia on my part but I felt they did a much better job in regards to bonus material with DVD than they have with Blu-Ray.

jason88cubs likes this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Hi, I need some help on Fawlty Towers DVD sets. There were 2 DVD sets released. Do you know if anything is different between them? what's up with the Blu-ray?

3. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

The DVD set I have is the 3-disc "Fawlty Towers: The Complete Collection Remastered" (color pic of them on the front with a monochrome image of the hotel in the back) which runs about $20. It looks and sounds fine.
    I read that the newer release after that, the BR, had censored the Major at one or two points, so I decided to go with the older DVD edition.

C.

SirCandy and Michael like this.
  4. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

Yes, the ‘remastered’ Fawlty Towers set is the one to get.
    The first DVD set has a cut in the episode with the guest who dies in his sleep, Basil passing the usual snarky comment cos the fella wants breakfast in bed IIRC?
    It’s a ridiculous cut, makes so sense at all, probably a tape error of some kind?

Michael likes this.
  5. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Shout! Factory put it ("The Loner") out first, didn't they?

6. Professor Batty

Professor Batty Forum Resident

Sometimes the price/benefit ratio is to good to ignore. I just bought the Blu-ray/download version of The French Dispatch for $15, delivered. Cheaper than going to the cinema, and I know it is a movie I’ll watch over and over.

bhazen likes this.
  7. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

Yes. I buy a handful of DVDs every year, usual something to do with subjects of interest. Most recent purchase in this area is Ajoy Bose's The Beatles And India -- which, as the title indicates, combines two of my interests. Had to get it from Amazon.UK, no US release is announced yet (that I'm aware of).

As this was from the UK, it's not playable in my main video player. So, a couple years ago I bought a BluRay/DVD player that's multi-region. I've also been collecting travel DVDs about India from the UK (a big interest of mine).

+1

Just bought the DVD and watched it last night -- amazing visual/style experience! :)

Only disappointment is the lack of extras(! Making-of documentaries, interviews, etc. ...) Did the BluRay have extras? ...

jason88cubs likes this.
  8. Professor Batty

Professor Batty Forum Resident

No, but I'm sure the Criterion release will, I'm not a big fan of extras, however...

9. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

I'm not either ... for usual Hollywood popcorn fare. But for such a complicated, art-y work, I can't help but want to know more about the filming! I've actually watched the documentary extras for Darjeeling Limited as much as I have the film itself. Fascinating stuff!

I guess I'll be buying the Criterion edition ... :sigh:

10. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

I just got Kid Blue today

Silver Surfer likes this.
  11. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Yeah, THE LONER was always a Shout! product. I recall that when it first came out, it was some kind of Walmart exclusive, and I had to run around to various Walmart's to track one down.

Excellent series. Rod Serling was looking to continue writing for TV after his TWILIGHT ZONE was cancelled and figured that a western might be the way to better blend in. Lloyd Bridges carries the show, with an excellent theme by Jerry Goldsmith. It was one of the last new series on CBS made in black & white.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  12. Michael

Shout bought out Timeless Media Group...and all the Westerners that came with it...I do know Shout had NOTHING to do with the mastering of any Timeless Media Group DVDs....

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  13. Michael

Hey Thanks...this is the second Fawlty Towers DVD box I bought UPC:
    8-8392909461-5 THE UNCUT ONE CORRECT?

14. Michael

THANKS..see above where I posted the UPC of my 2nd copy of the DVD box set...this should be the uncut one. Thanks again!

15. Gus Tomato

Is that the barcode? Mine is a different number.

I can’t post a picture (I used to be able to copy a paste pics here before no problem, but now I just get a ‘scan text’ prompt when trying to add a pic in the image url) but the dvd box should say ‘Fawlty Towers - The Complete Collection Remastered’, with a hype sticker for new interviews.

16. Michael

my copy says on front cover;
    The Complete Collection REMASTERED

INCLUDES BRAND NEW EXTRAS John Cleese Commentaries Extended Cast Interviews

no sticker all is printed on the front of the box...

17. Gus Tomato

That’s the one :righton:

Claus LH and Michael like this.
  18. Michael

cool thanks, but I wonder why we have different UPC numbers?

19. Grand_Ennui

Walmart was where I picked it up, as a blind purchase, as I had never seen the series before... I don't remember if it was on the same night or not, but definitely in the same time frame, I also picked up the complete series of the show 'Custer', which I had also not seen up to that point...

20. Michael

there are many BD that did not carry over the great bonus features...I have many of those DVDs you are referring to...are there any in particular you are looking to get?

21. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Now that's a blast from the past! I watched this in the 60s and I believe it was only on for one season. Wayne Maunder in the title role right? It also had Peter Palmer from L'il Abner in the cast, the only other role I remember seeing him in.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  22. Gus Tomato

Regional differences I would imagine?

Michael likes this.
  23. Michael

most likely...: )

Gus Tomato likes this.
  24. Grand_Ennui

They didn't even allow it to run for a full season, cancelling it after 17 episodes. It's too bad they didn't allow it to carry on longer than it did... One thing I read on the show said it was cancelled due to pressure from Native American groups, another saying it was cancelled because it was on at a time when people were getting uppity about 'too much violence on TV'... I suppose the truth could be either of these, or falls somewhere in between...

I thought Slim Pickens was a great choice to play the scout.

25. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

How's the picture quality? I may look into picking this one up. I remember several years ago some of these 60s westerns like The Monroes, which Maunder guest starred in right before being cast in Custer, were released by a company that didn't do much in the way of remastering. Alias Smith & Jones was another so-so looking series.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.