Does anyone still like easy listening records (Mantovani, Percy Faith, etc.)?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, Jul 23, 2018.

1. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

At Christmas time - stone cold classics. The rest of the year, not so much for me.

2. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I listen to all that stuff on Spotify almost non stop.

3. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

Was just playing my Henry Mancini thrift store find last night. Eight vinyl albums in a Reader's Digest box set titled "Moon River." Surprisingly good sonics and smartly organized. Music is good, sometimes great, but I can only take so much at a sitting. Think I paid $2.50. NM.

Dunno about thrift-store clogger Ray Conniff but I knew his daughter, who was a hipster beauty of note.

[​IMG]

Folknik, Nitrosijo, JohnO and 7 others like this.
  4. Defdum&blind

Defdum&blind Forum Resident

I can't believe it! This Sandpipers LP just appeared out of nowhere.

Folknik, McLover and willy like this.
  5. Defdum&blind

Defdum&blind Forum Resident

The only LPs of this type that I can say I enjoy are usually very well arranged and recorded. It is a real shame some of those Percy Faith and Ray Conniff Columbia LPs have such great sound and many others from that era are just plain awful to listen to. Most of those poor sounding LPs are from the smaller no name labels that sold their records in discount racks.

McLover and RSteven like this.
  6. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Always loved Bert Kaempfert myself.

JG

Odradek, Ted Mooney, Adkchaz and 7 others like this.
  7. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

Not me. Yikes.

Although I must admit I was at an estate sale a few months back and this house had a total early 60s time capsule basement with just the right furniture and Kennedy photo on the wall and the guy running the sale was spinning these romantic orchestra records on a huge console player. I did sit for a few minutes on the couch and drift into a semi-fugue state.

8. zen

zen Senior Member

Herb Alpert/Tijuana Brass

9. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]

This album by Paul Mauriat is absolutely amazing. Psychedelic Soul

10. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Raymond LeFevre albums are always worth a punt

ubiknik, Ted Mooney, team2 and 5 others like this.
  11. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

Was just listening to Paul Weston's Dream Time Music last night. "Over the Rainbow", "Pennies From Heaven:...album is all updated '30s tunes. Good stuff when in the right mood.

[​IMG]

12. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

First LP I ever got.. Herb Alpert's The Lonely Bull, still have it.

JG

13. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Franck Pourcel

14. Kevin In Choconut Center

Kevin In Choconut Center Offensive Coordinator

The kind of music we're discussing here is, I think, long out of favor with the general public, but in its time was very popular. Count me as another fan who was first introduced to it by listening to the radio. We had a "beautiful" music station locally that had good music and excellent sound processing. The barber who cut my hair for several years always had that station playing in his shop.

I do, at this time, have a fair amount of such music. It's not what I listen to on a regular basis, but when I'm in the mood for something different, it fits the bill quite nicely.

15. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Since joining the SH Forum, and discovering that it shouldn't be a walk of shame to be seen carrying late '50s-early '70s Easy Listening LPs up to the Goodwill checkout counter, I've built a sizable collection of it at an extremely low cost. Lots of Frank & Dino...Kaempfert (full run of his Decca LPs -- awesome arrangements)...Mancini...Perez Prado...Mauriat...TJB...Si Zentner & Lester Lanin (society "twisting" big bands)...Lawrence Welk (his Coral & Dot albums sound great, and my Grandma really loved him)...all the Spy Jazz titles...all of Lenny Dee...some Al Hirt...Three Suns (some wild stuff) and many, many others. A lot of it is simply evocative of days gone by, and reminds of the music I heard on TV and in the movies when I was growing up.

Stuff I avoid: The Two Johns (Gary & Davidson)...Sandler & Young (Martin Short & Eugene Levy's parody on SCTV was hilarious)...Barbra S. (only performance of hers I really like is "Stoney End")...and the other usual suspects.

Stuff I wish I could find: Matt Monro...Mel Torme...???

16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

San Sebastian Strings (Rod McKuen/Anita Kerr) is another one I enjoy.

Folknik, HappyFingers and CliffL like this.
  17. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

Speaking of which, I've been subscribed to a YouTube channel, Gustavo Morales Battaglini , who often plays this stuff. Great way to discover some albums

Ted Mooney likes this.
  18. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I do enjoy listening to some of the best of this stuff. Roger Williams was another great talent in this genre, wonderful pianist. Jackie Gleason's mood music is worth checking out as well. Martin Denny's Exotica is a must check out.

Ted Mooney, Folknik, apesfan and 6 others like this.
  19. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Ray Conniff's records with the wordless vocals are often sublime. The ones where the singers actually song the lyrics (usually attributed to The Ray Conniff Singers) are trite and tiresome.

Dick Hyman's name in the credits equals a must buy.

John DeAngelis and phillyal1 like this.
  20. tcbtcb

tcbtcb Forum Resident

Yes indeed! This is one I've been listening to lately when it's time to relax:

21. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

The only thing I have in this area is Esquivel. Love the quirkiness.

Wait...I have two Dick Schory records, too.

22. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This album's like the soundtrack to a Warner Brothers' cartoon. It's totally jarring. Although there's rills the whole thing's one continuous track, going from big band to small combo to solo accordion or violin. Definitely not easy listening. I bought it for the cover a couple of years ago

23. AlecA

AlecA Forum Resident

I'm a huge fan. My parents alway listened to beautiful music stations at home.

I think the Time-Life series "Instrumental Favorites" is fantastic. The series has cds dedicated to individual artists (e.g. Montavani, Faith, Williams,
    Ferrante & Teicher, etc.) as well as themed compilations.

[​IMG]

Ted Mooney, phillyal1 and MLutthans like this.
  24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Can't speak for anyone else, but personally, I hate that stuff.

Perversely, it makes me agitated rather than relaxed! It's so boneless that it annoys me! :laugh:

Rodz42 likes this.
  25. cypert2

cypert2 Forum Resident

I grew up with it , but I definitely don't listen to it now. As someone else said, it sure would make collecting easy. I've flipped through enough Lawrence Welk, Andy Williams, Ray Conniff, etc to stretch to the moon and back. Was in a thrift in Memphis last week. They had 18 different Jerry Vale albums!

notesfrom likes this.