Does anyone still like easy listening records (Mantovani, Percy Faith, etc.)?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, Jul 23, 2018.

1. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Okay, I cannot figure what they have in common, but I am very curious.

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Some of them are powered by Binghamton's finest amplifiers. As in McIntosh Laboratory.

Simon A and RSteven like this.
  3. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I recently came across the music of Bert Kaempfert, which falls into the Easy Listening genre, and liked it. Among the songs I liked:

"Afrikaan Beat"​

Ted Mooney, Reader, jonathan and 5 others like this.
  4. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Thanks, I'll watch for those, the local thrift just reopened.

5. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Someone else I recently discovered in the Easy Listening genre is Leroy Anderson (I'd heard "Sleigh Ride" by him but associated it with Christmas rather than Easy Listening).

"The Typewriter"​

6. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Thanks for the suggestion. Just exquisite. I love those horns trading off with each other, shortly followed by the introduction of the high strings at around the 1:00 mark. I just tracked down the import CD version on eBay. I love Bert's Christmas Wonderland album as well.

7. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

8. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Here is a terrific gem of easy listening music from Nashville's most gifted and prolific arranger, Bergen White. He was primarily known for his stellar arranging credits for artists as diverse as Elvis Presley, Willie Nelson, Charlie Rich, Tony Joe White, Mickey Newbury, Kenny Rogers, Jimmy Buffet, and George Jones, just to name a few of the dozens and dozens of artists whose albums were enhanced with his orchestral and background vocal arrangements. Mr. White has been active in the recording business for over 50 years, but very early on in his career in 1969 he made an album on his own that reflected his personal passion for the sunshine pop vocal harmony sound of the Beach Boys. He once called their hit song, Good Vibrations, "The most perfect record that I have ever heard" or words closely to that effect. Just listen to the gorgeous layering of strings, horns and vocals on this gem from his stellar album, Bergen White/For Woman Only (He has no idea who came up with the rather silly title for the album). The gorgeous album originally came out in 1970, but it was remastered in stupendous fashion for CD in 2004.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  9. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

CLASSIC! And one of my all time easy listening favorites! The double bell part still cracks me up! Delightful humor!

When I was a boy, I took typing classes every year starting in first grade as they were mandatory for everyone attending the California State School For The Blind at Berkeley. Our typing instructor had a phonograph with a book of 78 RPM 10" shellac discs that were produced specifically to teach typists to type in perfect rhythm. The records had Muzak style selections with very pronounced metronome ticks with which we had to keep perfect pace with. Does anyone else recall this method of learning and/or teaching typing rhythmically? This is not the record we learned with, but very similar. "Pitman's Gramophone Course ofTypewriter Keyboard Instruction record " Record No 2

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    McLover, uzn007 and RSteven like this.
  10. jonathan

jonathan Senior Member

Like times a hundred!

McLover and RSteven like this.
  11. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Just discovered the Escape channel on Sirius this last week, and it's an easy default station to listen to after getting burnt out on everything else. Just tons of EZL tunes and recordings you wouldn't normally hear, through the decades, anywhere else these days. Even the early 80s stuff is good. Lots of 60s and 70s played. Good to hear that Sirius realizes that people listen, like, and love this channel, since I had to wonder if they took the channel siriusly enough to keep it around. Dare I say, it's 'real music'!

12. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

I listened to their album Emotions, released in '68 and I love it! I especially enjoy their rendition of "In The Early Morning Rain".

McLover likes this.
  13. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I've been playing these two in a loop these last few days and I'm really digging them.

Conducted by Billy May. Simply perfect album.

[​IMG]

This one features Marimba on all tracks which is quite unusual for Gleason. It's another perfect album.

[​IMG]

14. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Forgive me if this has been posted in another thread, but I've just noticed this SACD listed on Acoustic Sounds and Elusive Disc and I'll be placing an order for it for sure. It looks like it was released in January 2020. I've never purchased from that label before and so I'm hoping the mastering is tastefully done.

[​IMG]

15. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

This is not an area that I've ever delved into. I have a few Henry Mancini soundtrack type albums that are as a bout as close as I get.

16. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

No, to me it’s crap. Apologies to those who may be upset with my comment. When I’m at estate sales and my wife asks if I found anything, my retort is, no, just the usual garbage. However, I’ve also learned that one person’s garbage is another’s treasure.

17. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I've just checked and see I haven't mentioned some Anita Kerr albums that I now have, courtesy of El Records

18. Retro Hound

Retro Hound Forum Resident

For some of us, the challenge is finding the jewels among the crap. It does take some getting used to these days when our ears are not used to it all. We listen to music to be moved, or something, not to relax, which seems to be the purpose of a lot of Easy Listening. And I certainly agree that most estate sales are overwhelmed with this stuff.

matthew zagar, WMTC and RSteven like this.
  19. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

At the sales I do see a lot of Mantovani and although not in the same class, a lot of Herb Alpert. I loved his sound when I was a kid in the 60s but now I find it a bit boring.

20. chaz bragman

chaz bragman Forum Resident

I'm way in to non-classical Arthur Fiedler right now. The sonics on the late 50s/early 60s stereos are sensational. I assume he's not prestigious enough for Sony to do a classical mega box set including the classical AND easy listening. Too bad.

matthew zagar, WMTC and RSteven like this.
  21. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me. Thread Starter

Speaking of stuff you find at estate sales and thrift shops - assuming they had good royalty agreements, Pete Fountain and Al Hirt must have been the two richest guys in New Orleans.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    WMTC and arley like this.
  22. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Al Hirt

WMTC likes this.
  23. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

When Al Hits you it hertz :)

WMTC, Simon A and RSteven like this.
  24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I love listening to music everyday! said titles included and more...

25. I’m not sure it fits the parameters of this thread, but I like some “exotica” of that era and pull out some Martin Denny from time to time.