Does Anyone Under 30 Know Who CCR Are, Or, For That Fact, Listen To Them?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bvb1123, Jun 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

My son is 27 and likes CCR. I gave him all my studio CCR cds after I bought AP SACDs. We are going to see John Fogerty next month togerher. Father and son quality time!

lc1995, Fishleehooke and bvb1123 like this.
  2. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

My daughter is 24 and I'm sure she is familiar with a number of CCR songs. She may not be able to tell me who the artist is while it is playing but I'm sure she knows the tunes. She listens to playlists on those streaming services when she is in her car and if I hop in to ride somewhere I've stopped being surprised with what I hear. I think young people are about as eclectic as any age group with their musical tastes.

bvb1123 likes this.
  3. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

It’s cute that you think young people still listen to the radio.

ARK, Jimmy B., Hot Ptah and 1 other person like this.
  4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

well thankfully I am nowhere near under thirty :)
    CCR were great

Tim 2 and bvb1123 like this.
  5. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Mine do in the car

Jimmy B. and bvb1123 like this.
  6. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

No many and why should they? Pop music is a generational thing. The first thing I tell my grand kids is to keep their grubby hands off of my Stones! ;)

Hot Ptah and bvb1123 like this.
  7. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

I celebrated the day that I finally completed my collection of original Golliwogs 45s.
    The original take of "Walking On The Water" stomps the early Creedence re-make.

[​IMG]

bvb1123 likes this.
  8. Fishleehooke

Fishleehooke Forum Resident

One of the most pivotal scenes in The Big Lebowsky has him wrecking a car to Bad Moon Rising, and later he is dismayed the police haven't recovered his Credence tape. That movie will be huge with youngsters for a very long time, so I think CCR won't slip too far out of the collective consciousness.

bvb1123 likes this.
  9. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian Thread Starter

Finally, someone thinks I'm cute!:D

10. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

My son and some of his friends do, pretty regularly. You'd find a lot of the teenage population is familiar with at least "Fortunate Son" due to it being turned into a Vietnam-related meme. :sigh:

bvb1123 likes this.
  11. I used to have that CCS album on LP back in college (late 80's). I seem to remember a killer version of "Sunshine of Your Love" was on it too.

Vaughan and bvb1123 like this.
  12. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian Thread Starter

I never thought about how often they're used in movies! They probably do get a lot of recognition from younger people a lot for that reason alone. Good point! That completely slipped my (old) mind!

13. WhoAreYou

WhoAreYou Soul Survivor

I’m a few years above your cutoff (34), but I have all their albums on vinyl and play many of their songs with the bands I play with.

You don’t have to worry, long as we can see the light.

bvb1123 likes this.
  14. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

:D

For the record, I first heard CCR on the radio as a teenager back in the 90s, and the lead singer's voice instantly caught my attention - it was so idiosyncratic. Loved them ever since.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    bvb1123 likes this.
  15. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

I'm 24 and I know all the big CCR songs. I appreciate those songs but I wouldn't say I'm super into them.

Classic rock stations still play their songs, but that's about it.

16. california_roll

california_roll Memento Mori

Thirty five here but to be honest, I don't even remember listening to Creedence on the radio - except for Have You Ever Seen The Rain, perhaps.

Other than that, I grew up being a fan of Southern Rock, especially the Allman Brothers, so I'm sure I would've run into them, sooner rather than later.

lazydawg58 and bvb1123 like this.
  17. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

It is definitely dadrock (and I don't consider things dadrock just for being old). But I still appreciate them.

18. Stones Blah

Stones Blah Forum Resident

My son is 18 and plays at least 4 CCR tunes in his band.

california_roll and bvb1123 like this.
  19. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

The shop I work in turns over the CCR vinyl pretty quickly, mostly to 20-somethings. Not at Floyd/Zeppelin speed, but comparable to the Police or the Band or other "classic" groups with concise catalogues.

lazydawg58 and bvb1123 like this.
  20. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

Purely anecdotal evidence. I was in the car with my 23 year old daughter a few years ago. I told her a story about how in 1971, two men and a group of Boy Scouts (which included me) cooked for a Scout jamboree of about 300 Scouts and leaders, for a weekend. We used a fully equipped kitchen in a large lodge building We hooked up a cassette player to two speakers and it was surprisingly loud in that kitchen. We played our rock music cassettes all weekend. The two men did not like the music. One of the two men was pretty good natured about it but the other man let us know that he was in pain hearing it.

That second man was inducted into the Order of the Arrow honorary Scout organization during the weekend. Everyone inducted had to be silent for a full day, eat nothing and do hard physical work for the day. At sunset they could talk, eat and stop work. This man, who was in pain from our music, was assigned to scrub all of our pots and pans all day for his physical labor.

So he had to be totally silent as we played our music. We still talk about the severe pain on his face when he heard CCR’s “Travelin’ Band.”

After I told my daughter this story a few years ago, I then took out my CD of “Cosmos Factory”’and played “Travelin’ Band” for her. She said “why did that song bother the man? That song is just blah, just nothing. It’s so boring.”

My daughter is an honors student and likes the pop music of today. So some people under 30 are not going to be able to hear the merits of CCR. It’s one person but we are all dealing with a small sample size in our remarks.

bvb1123 likes this.
  21. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

My daughter is 17 and a big fan.

Tim 2, california_roll and bvb1123 like this.
  22. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

My 8 year old nephew does, he heard them on the radio and said "I like this, who is it?"

bvb1123 likes this.
  23. perplexed

perplexed Forum Resident

My 16 year old son knows who they are because Fortunate son is featured in every Vietnam video/computer game and movie.

bvb1123 likes this.
  24. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, they are still on the radar of younger generations. But they know them as the group that did a small number of famous songs (Have You Ever Seen the Rain, etc.), not much in terms of personalities or albums.

And of course there are those who know everything about them and are under 30. But they're the exception.

25. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I'm sorry if I was flippant. :) My point was simply that there are a lot of young people walking around and they don't all listen to Drake. There will always be music heads who are super into exploring music of all kinds. There will also always be those who aren't really into music very much and just listen to modern hits. There is a very wide spectrum. Bands like CCR had their time in the sun and won't ever be completely forgotten, but they have mostly been folded into history now and will only be listened to through that lens.

But, as I say, there are always going to be music freaks. :righton:

lazydawg58, Hot Ptah and bvb1123 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.