Does Anyone Under 30 Know Who CCR Are, Or, For That Fact, Listen To Them?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bvb1123, Jun 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Yep.

There's a handful of titles you'll see stocked at Best Buy (who no longer carries cd's), Target and Wal-Mart amongst others that are "older":
    Rumours
    Thriller
    Purple Rain
    Dark Side Of The Moon/Wish You Were Here (sometimes The Wall but it's more expensive than the other two)
    Abbey Road/White Album/Sgt. Pepper/1
    Nevermind
    Changesonebowie/Ziggy Stardust
    Simon And Garfunkel's Greatest Hits
    Appetite For Destruction
    Experience Hendrix/or Hendrix' "Smash Hits"
    Ultimate Sinatra

Chronicle is one of those dozen or so titles that seem to be stocked at those places when it comes to "classic vinyl" that is assumed that any self-respecting record collection isn't without

bvb1123 likes this.
  2. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

I listen to NPR, Apple Music, or Sirius XM in the car.

soarer29 and bvb1123 like this.
  3. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

Same with Barnes and Noble. I think of those places as catering to people who maybe have a passing interest in vinyl. They'll get a little Crosley and maybe 10 records and that's it. But it's an important thing for the visibility of vinyl! Not everyone is going to drive 40 min on their day off because they heard about a cool little record shop 3 towns over (I may have done that 2 weeks ago ...)

Lightworker, bvb1123 and Jmac1979 like this.
  4. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Yes. A few of their songs have been featured in the Guitar Hero, Rock Band and Grand Theft Auto games and so plenty of young adults should be at least somewhat familiar.

bvb1123 likes this.
  5. Figure of Eight

Figure of Eight Forum Resident

I agree. Imagine, if you will, the question in reverse: "Does anyone over 30 know who Kendrick Lamar is, or, for that fact, listen to him?"

6. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

well the Barnes' in Louisville actually have a full on vinyl selection now that matches if not surpasses their cd selection. I was thinking more those other box retailers that dip their toes into vinyl and maybe carry a max of 50 different titles at most, yet those albums including Chronicle are always there. Barnes has actually become a major force in the vinyl market with their exclusives and everything and are very well stocked where I live.

bvb1123 and mercuryvenus like this.
  7. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

Oldies station here plays a few CCR songs Proud Mary, Lodi, Who'll Stop the Rain, Green River, Down on the Corner, Sweet Hitchiker, Born on the Bayou, etc.

Crimson Witch and bvb1123 like this.
  8. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

You would not believe the number of my students that have CCR on their playlists.

Staggering, actually.

bvb1123 likes this.
  9. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

39, 40 in six months, and can't wait for his next album

soarer29, bvb1123 and Figure of Eight like this.
  10. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

11. So if I don't know who CCR are, then will people think I'm younger?

bvb1123 and carlwm like this.
  12. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Yes, I bought the singles collection CD recently.

Reading Fortunate Son hasn't helped my opinion of Fogerty.

maui jim and bvb1123 like this.
  13. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

It didn't work for me. :)

bvb1123 likes this.
  14. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I was thinking "Run Through The Jungle" but that works just as well. CCR definitely has several iconic songs that have been used frequently in movies and tv which helps to keep the flame alive, so I'd say that they were ahead of many of their old peers in terms of cultural currency.

bvb1123 likes this.
  15. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian Thread Starter

My question was based on the fact that I'm 49 and never owned any CCR. I recently bought a box set and was amazed at all the great material I had never heard before. So, my thinking was that if I, a middle aged man didn't know about all this then I just wondered if people say, 20 years younger than me, knew about how great a band they were beyond the radio hits. But that's too long for a title so I just went with a more basic title. No gatekeeping or anything. Just an honest question. I'm very pleased to see how many do know them and like them.

Jimmy B., Figure of Eight and carlwm like this.
  16. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

A few years ago my friend tried to sell some of his (very minty) extra copies of CCR records to the local record store. The guy behind the counter declined to buy them. The store in question is geared a little more heavily toward the punk / alternative spectrum but my friend was still shocked since he's a big fan. He owns several different pressings trying to find the best mastering.

bvb1123 likes this.
  17. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Agreed his book is the worst rock autobiography I’ve read. Nothing is his fault. And I like the guy.

bvb1123 likes this.
  18. TS582

TS582 Forum Resident

Most of us get that. It’s so easy to throw in the word “EVEN” to bolster their point because they feel they have to.

bvb1123 likes this.
  19. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

About the same amount, maybe a few more, who knew who King Oliver or Bix Beiderbecke was and listened to them in 1969.

bvb1123 likes this.
  20. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

My 14 year old walks around the house singing Fortunate Son. If I had to pick one song to make an impression on him that would be a good choice.

bvb1123 likes this.
  21. soarer29

soarer29 Forum Resident

No worries, I hope I didn’t come across as bitter. Though I’m under 30 (though not by much), I’ve always considered CCR’s biggest hits so ingrained in the cultural “background music” in America that it would be tough to imagine someone who truly doesn’t know about CCR. Granted, I don’t know how well-known they are outside of America.

panasoffkee, carlwm and bvb1123 like this.
  22. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian Thread Starter

It's all good. Not offended in the least.

soarer29 and carlwm like this.
  23. Retro Music Man

Retro Music Man Forum Resident

I'm in my early 20s, live in Australia, and am a HUGE fan of CCR. So there we go.

lazydawg58 and bvb1123 like this.
  24. MassHysteria

MassHysteria Music Lover

Yup, 27 here

bvb1123 likes this.
  25. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

I just turned 25 and I like CCR, but I would like them more if it weren't for that fake accent

bvb1123 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.