Does Anyone Under 30 Know Who CCR Are, Or, For That Fact, Listen To Them?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bvb1123, Jun 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

A great band, hopefully the'll never be forgotten.

SteveFff likes this.
  2. EEstrat

EEstrat Well-Known Member

I am 31 but i liked them growing up from 11 or 12 onwards however i only got into them beyond a greatest hits level when i dropped some $$ on a used box of the dreaded K2 discs...i actually dig them a lot even though the mastering on those discs is derided often. I was suprised how strong each and every album is but i guess the last one is the weakest link. Every song is good. I actually felt kinda sad reading the notes in the box set about how fogerty was trying to appease the music press etc and thinking he had made so much great music why would he even care about not being a cool or critical success among the music press?

So yeah i am a fan and my friends would be classified as fans too although they would be on the know a few tracks/greatest hits level. I think plenty of 18-30 y/o would know a few songs and possibly like a few songs but i don't think people would readily dive into the albums like with the beatles or something.

3. thesilverbeatles

thesilverbeatles Raise a SMiLE for me.

Creedence? Yes, I'm well under 30 and know of them. Great guitar parts on some songs.

4. McRich

McRich Forum Resident

It’s an interesting subject. My 24 year old son listens to CCR. He said he heard a cool song in a movie, looked it up and it was CCR, so he started listening to them.

I was also recently at a bar and “Have You Ever Seen the Rain” came on and during the chorus a bunch of dudes in their late 20’s all started screaming the chorus at the top of their lungs.

As a long time CCR fan, that was a fun moment.

thesilverbeatles likes this.
  5. Hombre

Hombre Forum Resident

I'm 41; I like CCR but I don't love them. However, here in Argentina they are probably the most popular '60s band after the Beatles and the Rolling Stones.

6. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

They do in the class I teach in our university’s Honors College on the Vietnam War in Rock & Soul music. In fact, they get a whole unit in the soundtrack of the war’s “Big Three”. That said: I feel a number of them know some of the songs before, though whether or not that’s the same as listening is a different subject. Still: I enjoy the surprised looks, and it speaks to CCRs swampy greatest, when they learn CCR is from the Bay Area and not the Bayou.
    ;-).

Tim 2 likes this.
  7. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

They were like gods in Australia. All the Italians and Elvis fans loved them. Cosmo's Factory is as big as Abbey Road or Dark Side of the Moon here. I particularly like the song about the bathroom on the right and the one about the long cool woman ;)

arisinwind and Tim 2 like this.
  8. I'm 37 years old, I've known them since I was about 13 and have been buying their music since about 10 years later. I saw John Fogerty live when I was 26 years old.

9. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

I hate the f&$!*in’ eagles

10. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Did you go to Frederick? There are a couple good one's there...

Tim 2 likes this.
  11. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Interesting, I had know idea.

SteveFff likes this.
  12. BillyBuck

BillyBuck Forum Resident

If you were 30 in Creedence's era, how familiar would you have been with the music of The Original Dixieland Jass Band, Enrico Caruso, or The Fisk Jubilee Singers?

2020 - 1968 = 52 years

1968 - 52 years = 1916

13. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Yes

I do not listen to CCR since most of their material sounds dated for the era it was new.

14. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

Bands like THE GUN CLUB & THE MINUTEMEN have remade classic CCR tracks.....that is encouraging....I expect to see more of same from contemporary bands.

15. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Not a fake accent; he was actually trying to emulate Howlin Wolf.

[​IMG]

16. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

In Craig Werner and Doug Bradley’s recent (and outstanding) book We Gotta Get Out of This Place: The Soundtrack to the Vietnam War, they have a section in what they refer to as the soundtrack’s “big three”: Jimi, Aretha and CCR. Craig has a book just about CCR.

Tim 2 likes this.
  17. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

Both of my kids know who they are; ages 23 & 25.
    I made sure if it. My 25 year old daughter thinks they’re OK, and says I over play them. My 23 year old son likes them a lot, and wants his blues/classic rock band to play a few of their songs, but the front man won’t do the vocals.

My dad introduced them to me at age 5. My first memory of CCR that I remember is watching fireworks in 1969 sitting on top of dads work van in the driveway. The house windows were open so we could hear some music, and and my folks were playing the Bad Moon Rising 45 on the stereo.

18. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Classic Rock radio-in NYC at least-plays them quite a bit...and I don't mean just Proud Mary and just the singles. A smattering of album tracks is played as well. But there are a ton people under 30 or thereabouts who really love "oldies" and CCR are a big part of that. But my best, personal example is my two daughters who are presently in their early 30's. Between the two of them going back 15-20 years or so, they owned a handful of oldies various-artist comps..but separate from those, one of them had a CD copy of Chronicles which they'd pop into the car CD player *very* often. It felt like you couldn't go wrong with Creedence.

389 Tripower and bvb1123 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.