Does Disney actually have an official stand against Song of the South here?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pinknik, Feb 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Ken,

Nice Gorting, seriously!

Bob :)

2. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

I remember when Camelot Records near me would sell the original SotS Japan import LD, and actually feature it on a wall display. They carried a couple of other import Disney titles as well. These discs were not only available via under-the-radar importers. I'd imagine Tower Records had them at some locations as well, they used to carry a healthy selection of rare imports like Eraserhead.

Oh, and the Hong Kong version of SotS that people claim is better? Well, it doesn't have subs during the songs, but the transfer is from an even worse print of the film. Avoid.

3. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Sorry guyz, I think I'm getting the wrong response e-mails for this thread. I just got one for Colin! The forum seems a bit unsettled lately.

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No, but...

...apparently Rachael is! So who the hell am I??? :D

(And BTW, Ken exactly captured my point. I don't know the legality of the "SOTS" LD, though I don't think it IS illegal in the US. But that wasn't what I addressed...)

5. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Is something I wrote deleted? I think I'm going out'a my head...! I can't remember_______, oh well, as Roseanna Ana Dana used to say, never mind.

6. Ere

Ere Senior Member

I guess all my import CDs and LPs are illegal then. Where do I turn myself in?

Nope. You read that into my response. Instead of using 'extreme examples' to misrepresent my position, why not ask for a clarification? I may not have been precise enough for you and Ken, but my response was predicated on the assumption, derived from the information in the posts, that legitimately issued laser discs were being sold on eBay as used items. And that Disney was pronouncing those copies illegal and pinging buyers.

7. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

There's nothing illegal about the owning or private sale of an imported disc or video.

If a distributor started bringing these titles in, Disney could sue them for not having North American distribution rights. That's about it.

Disney does not shut down SotS LD auctions. Go search eBay for 'Song South Laserdisc', then click 'Completed Items'...all is business as usual. In fact, they pretty much ignore the bootleg DVD auctions.

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

:rolleyes: For someone who will soon criticize me for "reading into" a response, you make a bizarre stretch here. I never claimed that ALL imports are illegal. I never claimed that "SOTS" was illegal either. I noted that I DON'T know whether it is or not...

9. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Considering that ALL of the discussion (including the part I quoted in my first post) was discussing legitimately issued imports of SOTS, no I don't think it was a very broad response. I was posting very quickly in response to the discussion to that point. The only way to take it any other way is to quote it out of context of the thread.

10. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Q. What about Song of the South?

A. Song of the South has not been released for distribution in the United States in any home viewing format. Any listing that offers any video, VCD or DVD of Song of the South for sale in the United States may be suspended. Any listing that offers Song of the South “converted” for viewing on NTSC video players or Zone 1 DVD players is an illegal copy.

The above is from the Disney Vero file:

http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/disneyvero/

Just the facts here.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.