Does knowing a lot about your musical heros effect your enjoyment of their music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bherbert, Mar 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott 4

Scott 4 Forum Resident

I am glad for that. He's my all-time favorite artist. I am glad he always knew when and how to step back behind the veil and leave a lot to the imagination.

2. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Nope (in answer to the thread title).

3. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Is Pattie's book that good? I haven't read it because I'm expecting, 'I didn't know what was going on, but I went along with it'... kind of stuff.

4. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I often found that knowing my musical heroes sometimes did affect my enjoyment of their music.

I also do think there is a limit to how much I need to know about an artist. Too much information can get in the way – for example I could not face reading the John French book. But with the example of someone like Beefheart and his personality, cited above – no it does not affect my enjoyment of his/their music.

5. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Does knowing a lot about your musical heros effect your enjoyment of their music?

No.

6. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I loved Patti’s book. She led a lonely existence with George, so it’s no wonder she looked elsewhere.

7. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

In my case concerning classical composer Bruckner the fact that is personality (humble, naive, a country man) being so diferent from his symphonies (gigantic, grandiose, sophisticated and modern) makes me admire them even more in the sense that this man was having for himself a total diferent "life" that only came out in his music, and never for a second derived from his artistic views for better or worse. I never saw a case so evident of comoposer and music being so far apart. I find it even more admirable for that.

royzak2000, buxetehude and Nick Brook like this.
  8. Ezd

Ezd Forum Resident

It is well documented that Michael Jackson paid millions of dollars to people who accused him of child molestation, including oral sex as children. Here is a story from CNN setting the amount at about 25 million just for one child, Jordan Chandler.
    CNN.com - Jackson settlement from 1993 allegations topped $20 million - Jun 16, 2004

Here is a response from Jackson proclaiming his innocence and stating that he "chose to settle the false claims only to end the terrible publicity and to continue with my life and career."
    Jackson Says $25M Settlement Is Not An Admission Of Guilt

Do you honestly believe that any person falsely accused of having sex with a child, would agree to pay any money, let alone 25 million dollars?

NaturalD likes this.
  9. And that is my problem with it. For example, he really doesn't seem like he cared at all that Moon died.

10. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

In a negative way, not really, but there are certain favorites where the music can sound even better because you know the guys who wrote it and played it are good people (Rush and Neal Morse are two great examples).

11. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Beautiful women are often underestimated because people don't expect then to be anything more than beautiful.

goodiesguy, Grant and notesfrom like this.
  12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It's more than you know.

13. Actuarybrad

Actuarybrad Forum Resident

No...just shut up and play.......................

14. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

His book doesn't do him any favors, either.

wayneklein likes this.
  15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

That is not proof.

No, but it still doesn't prove guilt.

Osato likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.