Does Marc Bolan really play on Nutbush City Limits?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Aghast of Ithaca, Oct 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident Thread Starter

In the last few years, this rumour seems to have become accepted as pretty much fact. For instance:

from wiki:

Marc Bolan of the glam rock band T. Rex is believed to have played guitar on "Nutbush City Limits", although he received no credit for his participation. Gloria Jones, his girlfriend at the time—who herself provided backing vocals for Ike & Tina Turner in the 1960s—stated definitely that this was the case in the 2007 BBC4 documentary Marc Bolan: The Final Word. Considering that Bolan toured the US extensively and resided in the Los Angeles area during the mid-70s, and that he is also acknowledged to have contributed to Ike & Tina Turner's 1974 singles "Baby—Get It On" and "Sexy Ida", Jones' claim likely has some truth to it, especially as the guitar sound on "Nutbush City Limits" closely resembles Bolan's style.

But I'm not sure. I don't think it 'closely resembles Bolan's style'. I have most of the T. Rex albums and can't think of a song where Bolan used that exact same sound again. If he'd come up with a fantastic guitar sound like that, surely it would have dominated his work from 1974 onwards. Let's face it, he was the sort of musician who made an idea go a long way...

Also, Nutbush was a major UK/US hit, so surely Bolan would have boasted about playing on it?

Are there any other likely candidates who could have played the guitar on Nutbush (Ike?), or do we have to take Gloria Jones' word for it?

Dave Decadent likes this.
  2. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I read an article in a an old Circus magazine from 1973 where Marc talks about how if he wasn't a pop star he could always be guitarist for hire. I'm not sure if Nutbush is specifically mentioned... or if his ELO work that year was mentioned either. I'll have to look for it.

3. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

I've never noticed but Nutbush City Limits resembles a bit the style on The Slider, especially Chariot Choogle - but it's not exactly the same style.

4. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Marc plays guitar on 'Sexy Ida (part 2)'

While on tour in America, Marc played guitar on the flip-side of this Ike & Tina Turner hit (released in June 1974). And no, he didn't play on 'Nutbush City Limits' or any other Ike & Tina Turner songs, despite the rumours.

(taken from 'The Outtakes Of Marc Bolan')

Darryl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.