Does my house need a dehumidifier? (Affect on electronics)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WvL, Jul 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WvL

WvL Improve the lives of other people Thread Starter

Never thought about it until yesterday. my home (3 floors) runs in the low 60% range for humidity. This is apparently higher than recommended. As I buy more albums and high end gear, do I need to worry about the humidity level?

2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

No, unless it affects your health. But generally speaking media and electronics are better off in dry environments. At 60% and up static issues while playing records are gone !

3. regore beltomes

regore beltomes Forum Resident

For me it's the dew point that makes me uncomfortable but I try to keep the humidery at 50% in summer. The equipment doesn't seem to care unless you're in the 80 to 90 percent range. Surface rust. I use air conditioning which also dehumidifies the air.

4. moops

moops Senior Member

Queensland summers can be killer. I bought a portable unit that just sits in the corner of my music room. When I'm at work during the week, I'll run it overnight to get the room down to say 50%, empty it out in the morning, then bump it up to 60% for the rest of the day then shut the room up when I'm not home. Really happy with it, though I turn it off when I'm listening to stuff. If you've got air-con in your house, try the de-humidifier setting if it has one as well.

5. timind

timind phorum rezident

That seems a bit high to me. You do run central A/C, right? I spent quite a few years in the deep south and was always amazed (and bummed) when we'd visit people who didn't run air conditioners.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.