Does sleeve damage bother you?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Diorama, Jan 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sleeve damage bothers me. I know it's all about the music, but when you buy a record and it arrives damaged it really pisses me off.

With regard to second-hand records, my mind seems just accept there is damage and it doesn't bother me that much really.

How much does it bother people? I would say more than not most people don't mind.

Ludger, DHamilton, ispace and 4 others like this.
  2. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

It bothers me with new, but not enough to make me send it back, unless it arrived in a truly terrible condition.
    With second hand, it just makes me think that the record has history and was not just stuffed on some shelf unloved. I do though buy a replacement if I see a second hand copy with a better cover. The older cover then goes on my wall in the basement.

In the UK in the 70s and 80s record sleeve were invariably placed in shelves in shops, usually with the record kept behind the counter, so the sleeves were often not in pristine condition even new, especially if you were buying something that wasn't a new release as the sleeve could have been in the racks for years with loads of people touching it and no shrinwrap, so I was used to having the sleeve possibly bumped up a bit by the time I got it. I try and keep what I have in the best condition I can, but not to the point of obsession.

3. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Yes, but it's better than a damaged record. If I can get a good deal on a used pressing with some sleeve damage, I'll definitely do it.

+1 on being very annoyed with getting NM new copies with any amount of sleeve wear, though.

4. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

It depends. Generally, older LPs not so much. New LPs I don't mind a bump here or there (even if ordered new). To me, they're like shoes. Once something is wrong with it, I don't have to worry so much anymore. Still, I do my best to take care of LPs and their sleeves. Some people are a little too bothered. I mailed out a new RSD Bobbie Gentry (at a very very fair price). It must have gotten the teeny-weeniest corner bump (I mean... teeny weeny) and the guy sent it back. Something like that would never bother me.

Jarleboy likes this.
  5. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Don't care, thankfully. I'm cool with ringwear, taped splits, bends and the occasional strange handwriting. Assuming of course the vinyl is good.

Unless it's mold - then it goes in the trash and the surviving vinyl gets a generic white sleeve.

john lennonist and Old Rusty like this.
  6. WildHoneyPie9

WildHoneyPie9 Forum Resident

Yes it does. I want everything to be in mint condition, the same goes for books etc. It might be a little bit neurotic but who cares. ;)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  7. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

It bothers me hugely! - I absolutely won't buy a record with less than a genuine ex+ / near mint sleeve, complete with all the bits it should have. Really nice sleeves are harder to find than really nice records in my experience...

Easy-E, mcd4959, sunking101 and 4 others like this.
  8. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

The sleeves are primarily to protect the records, so if they are a little beat up, it just means they are doing their job correctly.

K.K. Bing, Cronverc and Newton John like this.
  9. Papi Hipbone323

Papi Hipbone323 The Stouffer's Lasagna of Audiophiles

Sleeve damage bothers me quite a bit. I have heard the argument that you don't listen to the sleeve and while that is true, I do have to look at it. For me, if the sleeve is beat, I'll almost always pass on buying the record.

10. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I don't care about split seams so much as the ring wear or damage to the image.

11. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I don't like any damage on my records jackets. But if I'm buying new over the internet, I usually let splits go. It happens very rarely. I care but, it's not something worry about. For used records, I expect the record to be out of the sleeve to prevent seam splits. If there record is poorly packages and the corner is smashed, this is an entirely different situation. It goes back.

12. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

A lot. Sleeve damage, spindle marks on the lab, spine fading - it's all unacceptable. Everything has to be mint. You should be able to use something without abusing it.

13. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Dinged corners!

[​IMG]

Carl80, starduster, Mickey2 and 5 others like this.
  14. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Yes, particularly on new records. I end up getting too many records shipped in those square mailers that have no protection for the corners and they invariably all get damaged in transit. Once a label/seller/person sends me a record in one of those mailers, rather than once that protects the corners, I stop buying from them.

15. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

If purchased new and mint it better show up new and mint.

If it's advertised with jacket wear and I know its defects up front I'm ok with it.

The problem I have is when the seller proves incapable of delivering a record to me that matches its described condition.

The Sage and Papi Hipbone323 like this.
  16. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

It bothers me..... New records I expect to be in new condition, ie no damage to the sleeve. second hand I'm a bit more forgiving, but don't want creases or writing on it. I expect a little wear, but only slight edge wear from storage etc... Very Good+ to near mint i normally go for. Inner sleeves I don't normally worry too much about unless it's a picture inner then I expect it to be clean with no writing. Seam splits on the inner are acceptable to me as I rehouse all my records in poly lined inner sleeves anyway. I expect the vinyl to be no less than near mint, with only hairline surface scratches from sliding the record in and out of the sleeve.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

not any longer...

18. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Should be no damage on new records. Sleeve "scuffs" on used records are acceptable as long as you can't hear them.

19. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

You know what, I'd forgotten about that. The sleeves were empty in the racks, so invariably always got grubby from people thumbing through them. How things have changed.

Colocally likes this.
  20. It does bother me, and I repair my sleeves (and some inners too, when they're special) as much as can be done "SOTA"... Otherwise they'll just keep deteriorating, and there is no point then, for me, in collecting and fetishing records. I know this ain't a purist view, but glue is glue...

21. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

I have loads of collectible records without sleeves, I still enjoy them, but finding good sleeves is hard.

22. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

It was great when you bought a secondhand record and somewhere you'd find a message of undying love, I guess that didn't last.:love:

DHamilton and Juggsnelson like this.
  23. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

Just like the records themselves, I like the sleeves of albums I buy to be at least VG+. I don’t mind if a sleeve is split along a top or bottom seam in a way that I can easily fix it with glue, but if a sleeve is torn, ring worn, or written on, I’ll usually leave it alone and find another copy. Exceptions can be made, but the price has to be really right.

24. jacethecrowl

jacethecrowl Forum Resident

Existing sleeve damage doesn't trouble me, but self-inflicted (my own oily thumbprints or dropping a cover on its corner) is the worst.

K.K. Bing and Man at C&A like this.
  25. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

It bothers me if it’s supposed to be a mint record I’m paying good money for. Other than that sort of but I can live with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.