Does sleeve damage bother you?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Diorama, Jan 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

: )....; )...gaining brownie points, eh? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

or those 2 dimples in the booklet...they scream aggravation!

3. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

+1
    If the sleeve didn't matter most of us would be streaming. Of course it matters.

ParloFax and Papi Hipbone323 like this.
  4. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

The less sleeve damage I get, the better I feel.

ParloFax and Papi Hipbone323 like this.
  5. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

If the record is scarce enough and the vinyl itself in good shape, I couldn't care less if it's even got a sleeve at all. Record labels are the only artwork I really care about in the whole package. Of course I do take care of the sleeves in my collection properly, but most were decent to begin with, with 90+% being used.

6. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Condition is everything to me. I look at condition of both the cover & the record.
    Recently saw a copy of this...

[​IMG]

The vinyl was very clean, but there was heavy ring-wear on the cover. I passed.

Darryl

Papi Hipbone323 likes this.
  7. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Might aswell just have a white plain sleeve then and not bother with the artwork....:shh:

Papi Hipbone323 likes this.
  8. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

Yep, me too (which is weird considering I actually worked in a record store for 18 months where we displayed the albums exactly this way) but it is absolutely true. Not only did they get grubby but the spine was often bent too. Without the Lp in the sleeve to preserve its form, the sleeves would bend over under their own weight in the racks and as a result of people leafing through them, me included.

It must be almost impossible to find UK copies of anything from the 70s with pristine sleeves.

9. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

You could say the same for any merchandise then, however marketing gurus have proven that if you wrap things in an interesting design it is likely to sell better..

10. Colocally

In Spillers Records in Cardiff they used a different model. They would actually take photocopies of the cover and glue that to a 12x12 piece of card, and keep all the records, with covers behind the counter.

11. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

If the vinyl is in good shape that is really all that matters. Covers give the albums character and often tell a story. Writing on them, spill stains etc. are part of their history. I ended up with Mike Hester’s records when I bought a couple of boxes from an antique dealer that picked them up at an estate sale. There were also Evelyn Faulkner’s records, and then there were both names on some. Beach Boys, Ventures, Chet Atkins, Beatles all kinds of good 60s albums that these two had individually and then together. So I wonder why it was still Evelyn Faulkner not Evelyn Hester? Could they have been living together in rural 1960s NC! Did they eventually get married? Were they still together until one passed away? It is part of what makes collecting records so much fun.

12. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Some of these replies are quite amusing.
    No wonder when you receive a trashed sleeve that was graded ‘Near Mint’ on discogs, they are surprised you complain...:p

13. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

As with anything else used, it depends. Preferably I'd have a great sleeve, no yellowing, clean corners etc. A little damage doesn't kill me if it's rare though. I bought a WLP pressing of Marquee Moon with some scuffs and spine cracking, because the vinyl was a solid VG++ surface, which mattered more to me in that instance. If it's common I usually seek out the best copy as there's no reason to settle.

BTW, if anyone feels bad about how much they spend on records, take a look at an antiquarian book fair some time. The price of a valuable book with a clean DJ and no foxing inside really puts things in perspective.

14. dadaalice

dadaalice Forum Resident

Bothers me beyond belief. It is about the music but if I'm going to own a physical product it needs to be a physical product I'm proud to own and can enjoy just holding and looking at. To me thats a big part of enjoying a music collection as well.

15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

All physical media damage bothers me. From record sleeves to CD cases.

Carl80 and richbdd01 like this.
  16. MKHopkins

MKHopkins Break out the Hats and Hooters

I buy primarily used- unless it’s something real oddball if the sleeve is bad I don’t even usually bother looking at the vinyl.

That said oddly one thing I do think is kind of cool is a name and/or address someone has written or stamped on it. It gives me some history and you can look on googlemaps and think- this is where this record spent some or most of its time being enjoyed and who enjoyed it. Thanks for taking care of it!

lazydawg58 likes this.
  17. Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac Zooropa... better by design

Compared to most other collectible hobbies, record collecting is one of the least expensive hobbies going.

mahanusafa02 and zombiemodernist like this.
  18. Colocally

I only buy locally for used vinyl so that doesn't apply to me.

19. lazydawg58

Isn’t every CD case in existence at least cracked?

Holy Diver likes this.
  20. lazydawg58

I’m the guy that comes by after you, checks out the vinyl, and buys it (after they moved it to the $3,$2,$1 bins.) Thanks!

mahanusafa02 and john lennonist like this.
  21. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

It's far secondary to the condition of the vinyl for me.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  22. MusicFan57

MusicFan57 Forum Resident

YES! OCDism is a B*tch! I stare at the cover under a bright light, just looking for something to be slightly wrong, just so I can be bothered by it. It sucks. Same with glossy, larger books. Have to wash my hands, turn the pages using the very edge of the page, hold the book so that it's not all the way open and never let anyone else touch it! lol

23. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Yes. This x 1000.

I don't mean that I need my collection to be mint. Not at all. Or even near mint. But the last thing I need is great music stored inside a stained or taped piece of garbage, hanging off of a beautiful shelf. As someone said, if collecting were just about music, there are much easier, though far less fulfilling, alternatives.

It's kinda like anything you care enough about to actually take care of. I mean a car engine can be sound, long-lasting, and take you from point A to point B with zero letdown over the years. But what good is that if you are re-hinging the driver's side door everytime you walk out to it? :p

dadaalice likes this.
  24. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

It's not that bad, momentary disappointment turns into sliding it into a clear outer sleeve, where it will stay at least until I'm dead, and gone.
    The record is what counts !

mahanusafa02 likes this.
  25. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

Generally speaking, I don't care too much. Hole punches, minor case cracks, booklet wear are very much a secondary concern for me. My main concern is the condition of the disc. But, I did order a "new" Decca Eloquence CD with Eduard van Beinum conducting Brahms in mono, and the CD case was literally fused together. It almost seemed to have melted shut. I had to destroy the case (carefully) to get at the disc (thankfully, the disc was in perfect condition). And this was ordered new from Amazon. That gets my goat. Or, if the booklet / inserts are basically destroyed. Overall though, I am fairly forgiving.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.