Does the average consumer not see the Blu-ray advantage?*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kevintomb, Sep 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I bet they would sell more Lexus cars if they priced them the same as Toyotas, too. If you have to price Blu-Ray the same as SD DVD, you are essentially saying that it has no incremental value over SD DVD. Who in their right mind would be in the business of selling a product that costs more to produce but has no incremental value to consumers over its readily available alternative? I would like to see prices come down, but expecting them to be the same as DVD at this point is not reasonable.

Regards,

2. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I think BD-25's are near as as cheap to distribute as DVD's already. I'd point at the pricing of Echo Bridge's The Big White BD, $12.99 at busted buy, $9 at Amazonia. This is what's possible, now. Warner is the only one with many prices that vaguely compete with that.

Those $30 and $35 BD's in stores, many of which are on BD-25's, sure look stupid next to The Big White. The Big White is even good too. It's better than any big studio comedy I've seen this year....and has 2-channel lossless audio.

I think Echo Bridge is a profit deal. Granting the majors higher costs only goes so far. BD-50's do up the costs, I believe. BD-25's, I'm purr-dy skeptical.

The Big White is the bang for the buck title IMO. :thumbsup:

3. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

What hasn't been said enough times is that the audio is also "the bang for the buck". This is basically an audio forum and I am surprised at how many people don't mention that the audio on these discs is also tons better than the lossy stuff on regular DVD's.

4. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

We car. That's about.001% of the buyers. Most would just hook it to a tv and watch.

5. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I think he was specifically addressing people here at the SH forum interested in audio, which should be about 99% of us.

But you're right, most people will be concerned only with the video portion. And that was my point - there's still a lot of bang for the buck for those only interested in watching. The great audio is just icing on the cake...

6. shokhead

To bad people just are not going to be buying this holiday season.

7. tcj

tcj Senior Member

Hence the "bang for the buck." Looks great, but too expensive for what you get.

I would guess most people are like me: waiting for the inevitable rise of downloads/streaming. It's coming, and it's coming soon. Why bother switching to another expensive format when on-demand, streaming video is just around the corner?

8. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sad to say..its NOT around the corner, at least for 85 percent of the USA. If you live in a big city, and only SOME big cities its around the corner, but thats not MOST people, in fact most live in suburbs of cities, or just regular neighborhoods that have no sight of downloading. And even when you watch the streaming HD, its compromised even at the best they can do.....its noticable poorer, so why wait for years for something that is inferior to blu-ray and even broadcast HD? Not sure why you consider it "expensive for what you get" are you expecting wal mart DVD pricing on a new format that has MUCH higher picture quality and costs more to master and produce? Why in the world would they NOT sell it for a higher price?

And besides, I like to physically OWN or play a disc, a download is to me...just money thrown away, and you have nothing to show for it. If I want to throw in LORD OF THE RINGS to show friends or relatives, I like to HOLD a physical Disc and look at the cover etc.......(( yeah I know its not on blu-ray yet....)....its just around the corner....:D

9. shokhead

5 years and 3D format will be here. Gee i wonder if you will have to buy a new player and/or tv for it to work?

10. Rachael Bee

We're implementing our digital TV system this coming Febuary and now you're predicting a new TV system?

11. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

It strikes me as funny how people can be dismissive or even negative about upgrading their electronic components. I understand about being frugal with purchases and the economy but a couple of hundred dollars spread over 5 to 10 years really isn't very much ($25 to $50 a year).

That is a BARGAIN compared to the auto industry where one can easily spend $10,000 to $50,000 for something they PLAN to replace in 5-10 years. I'm just sayin'...

12. shokhead

I'm not predicting. The electronics world is saying 5-7 years for it.

13. Rachael Bee

What's possible and what's practical are different lanes on the freeway. HDTV and Blu-ray are gonna be around for an extended stay. They're just getting started.

14. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Blu-ray goes as HDTV goes. With more and more people buying those HDTV's, eventually they will try Blu.

15. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Well, a 3D system sounds really cool, but I can't imagine it being anything but a niche product. I don't know anything about it but seems that it would require lots of new hardware and software and wouldn't be nearly as affordable as Blu.

... and aren't there already 3D systems out there?

16. shokhead

HDTV and Blu-ray are gonna be around for an extended stay.[QUOTE}

Maybe.

17. shokhead

Well, a 3D system sounds really cool, but I can't imagine it being anything but a niche product. I don't know anything about it but seems that it would require lots of new hardware and software QUOTE

Kinda like Blu-Ray?

18. Jim G.

Jim G. Geezer with a nice stereo!

I bought a new Sony LCD early this year. I told the sales man (at a locally owned store) that I was bargain hunting and he showed me a 37" LCD from last year that he could make a great deal on. So I gave him a $1000 bucks and went home happy w/a 720p 1080i set.

I am able to receive Seattle digital signals OTA. The football games and the F1 races are incredable, as were the Olympics.

So now there is bluray, and I understand the resolution is better than my set can display. Also, I see clearance sales on 720p sets, the TV deal of the century (IMHO, so far anyway).

I really don't see any need for a better picture(call me when I can walk into the picture!) . The DTV signal is really great technology, stunning picture.

The point here is that I don't want a better TV picture, what I want is new, stereo speakers, car, boat, dinner w/a sexed up babe, broadband.

19. shokhead

QUOTE=Jim G.;3958292]I bought a new Sony LCD early this year. I told the sales man (at a locally owned store) that I was bargain hunting and he showed me a 37" LCD from last year that he could make a great deal on. So I gave him a $1000 bucks and went home happy w/a 720p 1080i set

He didn't do you a favor. That seems abit high but a nice TV.

20. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

Most of us Blu-Ray people already have all of these things. Except for Rachel of course who likely has a sexed up guy instead. :winkgrin:

21. tcj

tcj Senior Member

You don't ever rent movies? Besides, my cable system already has In Demand. I can select from a small selection of movies right now for something like $4-5 and I have 24 hours to watch them. (No, this is not pay-per-view, this is true In Demand service - play, pause, rewind, etc.) No, it's not like owning a disc, but guess what? I don't want to own most movies, either. I'm exactly the opposite with movies that I am with music - I don't really care about most movies. I want to watch, usually ONE time, and then very rarely ever again. It's a waste for me to buy a movie. If I do, I watch it and then sell it on Amazon. The few that I really, really care about, I own. But most I'll be happy streaming to watch that one time. I'm betting the majority of people feel that way, too. There will be a solution within the next few years where you can stream and choose to "own" one that you particularly love. That's fine with me. It's one less mostly empty box to keep around.

22. kevintomb

NO I rent a LOT..im just saying a download to me isnt what I want...if I rent its somethign I MOST likely wont watch again.....Im on netflix and its MUCH cheaper to rent discs than the demand services.

23. kevintomb

???.....Most people even mildly into video or tv have a HD set now....only older people or cheapos are against getting a newer MUCH nicer looking TV. Heck even a lot of older people have LCDs now..and so on. What hardware are you referring to ? You can play the audio through any LCD or PLASMA, and any $700-10,000 TV can play back HD, its fairly simple.

24. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

This is pretty much my feeling as well. I will only buy a movie on Blu-Ray that I will watch multiple times. There are very few of those. And I agree that music DVD's are worth buying as you do watch them multiple times. This is also where Blu-Ray shines way above SD both in video and especially audio. This is the main reason I have Blu-Ray. Not for movies. Movies are a nice value add though.

25. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Yeah, that's it... I'm a 'cheapo' for having other priorities.

:thumbsdn:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.