Does the Beatles’ music sound ‘dated?’

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bherbert, Mar 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

George's twangy guitar is the only thing that sounds dated to me on the early records.

bherbert and AppleCorp3 like this.
  2. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

It sounds “different” to me than lots of other music - even among it’s own contemporaries.

Putting them on a mix tape (or iPod on shuffle) highlights that pretty quick. Not sure if that’s “dated” or just their sound or both. The fact that I hear elements of their influence in modern music makes them both fresh and dated i guess...

bherbert likes this.
  3. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

it sounds dated. anything that is from that era is going to sound dated, the sounds and recording styles have changed radically since then.

veloso2 and bherbert like this.
  4. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Yeah, they'd all day it sounded 'old'.

And whatever Beatles fans think almost all music from the 60's sounds dated. That doesn't mean it's bad, or isn't as good as something later, it's just fact.

Jarleboy and bherbert like this.
  5. fdsfd

fdsfd Forum Resident

I don't want to go off topic but before getting to know them I thought Autobahn and Trans-Europe Express were from the 80s. I think it goes to show how much influence they had on synth pop of that era. Plus, considering how popular that synth sound is now (check Com Truise, he's terrific), Kraftwerk may be considered as even more contemporary than it was in the 70s.

bherbert likes this.
  6. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

No.

MPLRecords and bherbert like this.
  7. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

You're right. Just like there is timeless comedy that never gets dated. The comedy that does gets dated mentions politicians or other current events that are soon forgotten. That gets stale real quick. On the other hand, The Honeymooners for example, will always be funny.

bumbletort, bherbert and Thomas D like this.
  8. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

No... other than the fact you can understand the lyrics being sung.

9. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Your Mother Should Know
    ;)

bherbert likes this.
  10. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

A lot of the corny old stuff certainly does, back when they were still covering a lot of songs and everything was puppy love in three part harmony. I've heard it all and can appreciate it for what it is but would never reach for it now.

Lee Davis and bherbert like this.
  11. Django

Django Forum Resident

It does, but that's part of the appeal of older music....for me anyway.

bherbert likes this.
  12. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Definitely. September 9th.

MitchLT, Jarleboy and bherbert like this.
  13. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

As a 24 year old, their music from Rubber Soul on does not sound dated. "Here Comes The Sun" could be a huge pop hit today.

Even their early stuff doesn't sound too dated to me (though it is obviously from the early to mid 60s).

bherbert likes this.
  14. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

Top 40 stations never play songs that are more than 10 years old, so that's a moot point.

I'm young and a lot of people my age are really into The Beatles. They're not Eric Clapton or The Band.

Brannon Walker, RudolphS and bherbert like this.
  15. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Thanks God it sounds like a 60's music and not like a 2019 one...is this bad?

16. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

Recording technology was good enough by the mid 60s that The Beatles masterpieces sound clear and not old timey like Elvis' 50s work.

bherbert likes this.
  17. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Not really , was listening to a hard days night yesterday and it still sounds great as do the others.

bumbletort and bherbert like this.
  18. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident Thread Starter

19. sleepjar

sleepjar Cover version

Two of my children feel exactly this way, however, at one time or another I've caught both of them secretly checking out the Beatles!

bherbert likes this.
  20. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

Drake is a Beatles fan, he referenced them at least two times.

bherbert likes this.
  21. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

I agree, their covers sound the most dated to me. And what's funny is I thought that even back when I first heard them as a kid in the 60s (although didn't think of it as "dated" back then). The original stuff always seemed almost like another band, or just way more fresh and interesting. The covers, although really great, didn't have the same pop out of the speakers quality as their original stuff. Even things as simple as say There's A Place, just has some sort of spark to it that the covers don't. Even now I feel the same.

lc1995 and bherbert like this.
  22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Yes, thankfully.

grapenut, veloso2 and bherbert like this.
  23. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Yes, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Tim

bherbert likes this.
  24. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

I find With The Beatles to be their least dated sounding pre Rubber Soul album despite being the second oldest and having the most covers.

bherbert likes this.
  25. Bern

Bern JC4Me

I actually find their solo work to be more dated than when they were a band.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.