Does the Jewel Case play into the value of a used CD?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by The_Shocker, Mar 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Francophile50

Francophile50 The man with the satisfied ear.

That's a good question. I have no idea but I can only imagine that it would probably be one or two reasons. If I remember correctly the smooth edge of a CD looks a little fogged-up. It's not clear like you can see through it very well. So that said to put a ribbed edge on a CD might make that look a little bit more aesthetically pleasing. Also when people were opening these things they might have been too smooth and slippery for them to get an adequate grip on the CD. So to add the texture edge would make for a better grip when you're opening the CDs.

Other than that I can't think of any other reason why someone would create an edge. maybe somebody complained about the design and they finally got around to changing it to being more aesthetic and more functional.

2. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

Maybe it was seen as giving the owner a better grip initially as some of those early ridged ones were tough as well.
    I'm betting it was a cost saving move however when they switched to those cheap ones they sell now.
    Same as with the trays, lots of them are weak and you can bend them easily plus the logo (compact disc digital audio) in the corners are absent.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  3. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure ribbed edges make the case stronger so that you can make them thinner.

4. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

The experience CD collectors know the differences between the early smooth sided CD cases. I bought a copy of Michael Franks The Art of Tea with only the front and back showing (target or non target?). However, it was in an old style 4 tab smooth sided case, so I took a punt.
    [​IMG]

Dave and c-eling like this.
  5. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I'm a sucker for the smoothies, especially if it has the Patent pending stamp.
    [​IMG]

Dave likes this.
  6. Francophile50

Francophile50 The man with the satisfied ear.

You talk about your incredible buy I just bought a Bowie changes one CD for $5 Thinking it was a Ryko or later product. Turns out it's an RCA blue ring in the original case. It was really dirty and cleaned up well but it was a good buy for $5.

Dave and c-eling like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.