Does "The Matrix" still hold up for you?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mpayan, May 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I think it was offered for free with the purchase of a player back in 1999 or 2000.

2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I love the original, and like the sequels well enough. The Key-maker, the Merovingian, the Architect - those are some great characters.

3. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Thanks !

Quite a difference, Blu-ray much sharper as one would expect, but the colour differences are quite pronounced.
    The DVD kind of brown/yellow, the Blu-ray bluer.
    Not sure which might be considered more accurate, but the BD is more pleasing to my eyes

4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

The DVD is the accurate version. The Blu-Ray is actually a *lot* greener and will have its contrast boosted to suit the look of more modern movies.

Myself, I've resorted to a fan-made HD color-restored version. You can see the comparisons in this thread as I've posted pics.

enro99 likes this.
  5. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

What struck me the first time was that I was almost as confused as the Neo character until he took the pill.

Cool movie.

Sequels ruined the concept and conclusion of the original.

6. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Interesting, thanks for clearing the inspirations. Funny, whenever I think of the 90s, I either think of Se7en or The Matrix... :shh:

7. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

I like the first one well enough and think it holds up enough as a stand-alone movie. Have no time for those sequels though. I do feel the first one is a product of its time though.

8. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

No.
    Never sat through a whole film.

9. Strat-Mangler

You've never managed to sit still for 2h to watch any movie? o_O

10. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Yes, The sequels, no.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Timely thread. I just watched the DVD a few weeks ago, not having seen it since it was in theatres.

Didn't like it much, the look and the characters (except for the funny Men in Black). At the end, when Reeves steps into the real world, it looks as bad as the simulated world.

I probably prefer Dark City.

As for living in a simulation (a manipulated reality) that seems to trending anyway :(

12. All Down The Line

Of The Matrix series.

13. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

When Neo steps out of the telephone booth, he steps into the simulated world. That's why he can fly.

enro99 likes this.
  14. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

Many owners report that their Matrix has clocked some 250k miles. Pity they're no longer in production.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  15. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I remember seeing The Matrix in the theater (summer of 99) all by my lonesome.......I rarely see movies by myself, but my wife was on a trip and this was well before my son was born. I remember feeling a little confused about the storyline when I walked out of the theater, and tried to piece it together in my head on the way home. I wanted to desperately discuss the movie with someone who saw it, but the two friends I called had not seen it. I also remember walking into a Sound Warehouse (remember those) a few days later and discussing it with an employee that had seen it multiple times. It wasn't until several months later when I purchased the VHS, I was able to break it down. I'm not bothered with the dated 90's aura....it's a product of it's time, and I think after 20 years it still holds a pretty cool vibe. Reloaded was hyped to the max, but I remember doing some eye rolling, and especially during the Revolutions atrosity......yikes, they should be ashamed. My 13 year old son has never seen The Matrix, so that my change this Summer.

planetexpress likes this.
  16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I agree that "Matrix" was the "killer app" that helped sell a lot of DVD players, but I don't think "Joshua Tree" was a big reason CD players started to sell.

I thought "Brothers in Arms" was the "killer app" on the CD front!

razerx, planetexpress and Aftermath like this.
  17. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Yes, they were great characters. But in the end...

The plots and the scrips were really bad. The action scenes were regurgitated.

I liked Dark City, very creative.

I thought the 13th Floor was the best of the "living in a simulation" movies. There is actually more of an actual movie with a story and plot twists that heal my attention.

unclefred likes this.
  18. Strat-Mangler

The goal of the thread is to wonder whether it holds up. That assumes you've watched and loved it. Since you don't qualify for either, what's the point in posting this gem?

19. Strat-Mangler

Pffft! Not as good as the Yaris. :D

Ginger Ale likes this.
  20. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Someone may have mentioned this already, but the same year The Matrix came out, another adaptation of the book World On a Wire was based on also came out: The Thirteenth Floor. It got completely eclipsed by The Matrix, of course.

As to the main question of the thread, the original film was a kick at the time but parts of it are starting to feel dated (the score in particular doesn't hold up in places). The sequels are dreadful.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

The Matrix was a very inventive creative movie when it came out, in many ways.

I think that it holds up very well today.

The problems with the sequels were that they did not retain and expound on the creativity that was present in the original.

They kept repeating things from the original movie.

Instead of Neo fighting one bad guy at a time, he is now fighting multiple bad clones of the same bad guy.

22. snowrs

snowrs Forum Resident

The first one still does, the others no

23. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

The Matrix feels like a contemporary movie to me. I guess I’m one of the few in this thread who feels that way.

Tony-A and SandAndGlass like this.
  24. All Down The Line

I originally saw the majority of the first one which has often been re run and I have watched portions.
    Looks evend more ordinary to me over time even if I concede the spedal effects were great first time around.

25. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I'm suspicious of anyone who has even a passing interest in sci-fi or action movies who doesn't continue to love The Matrix.

I have around 150 UHDs and a well sorted screening room. The opening minutes of the original will thrill nearly anyone with a pulse. Great ride from their to closing credits!

Sincerely, try to screen this one right. It is worth it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.