Dokken album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by paradox55, Jun 25, 2020.

1. paradox55

paradox55 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Scatterbrain, released on March 17, 2017, is the second studio album by band KXM, a rock band formed in 2013 featuring King's X bassist and vocalist Doug Pinnick, former Dokken and Lynch Mob guitarist George Lynch and Korn drummer Ray Luzier.

Scatterbrain
    [​IMG]
    Studio album by
    KXM
    Released
    March 17, 2017

Track listing
    All tracks are written by Doug Pinnick, George Lynch and Ray Luzier.

No. Title Length
    1. "Scatterbrain" 5:07
    2. "Breakout" 5:10
    3. "Big Sky Country" 4:36
    4. "Calypso" 5:28
    5. "Not a Single Word" 4:59
    6. "Obsession" 5:37
    7. "Noises in the Sky" 5:30
    8. "Panic Attack" 5:20
    9. "It's Never Enough" 3:52
    10. "True Deceivers" 3:50
    11. "Stand" 5:09
    12. "Together" 5:22
    13. "Angel" 6:45
    Total length: 66:45

Personnel

slipkid, Curveboy and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. paradox55

3. paradox55

4. paradox55

5. paradox55

Apparently, the album was recorded in a 10 day span- three immensely talented guys enjoying each other's creative brilliance. Listening to KXM is quite challenging, as they lack the harmonies and choruses that made me gravitate to Dokken and King's X many moons ago. That being said, there are several tracks here that I do enjoy, but I can't imagine ever listening to the entire album again, as it is a bit innovative and experimental for my tastes. Guess you can categorize KXM as a band for musicians, of which I am not.

Scatterbrain is a ferocious opener, In fact, I feel scatterbrained just listening to it- guess that's what they intended

Breakout- an accessible heavy song, evident that the trio just feeds off of each other, love the interplay

Big Sky Country- great riffage, Orwellian lyrics, a highlight.

Calypso- a medley of styles parts of which I like, others, not so much

Not a Single Word-another creative track that that blends various styles,

Obsession- an Animotion cover? I wish, not a fan

Noises in the Sky- ominous sounds emanating from the heavens, yes!

Panic Attack- a song most of us can relate to as the pandemic relentless continues

It's Never Enough- album is starting to drag, sounds like filler

True Deceivers- like the theme here, the main riff reminds me of something else but I can't place it

Stand- lyrics discussing the current political zeitgeist, forgettable track

Together- a gem buried on the back end! King's X- esque, reminds me of Summerland

Angel- a somewhat creepy love song to close, but I do like the ethereal sounds.

Highlights: Together, Scatterbrain, Breakout, Big Sky Country

6. Duol

Duol Hopeless Throwback

I did buy it, liked it, but it didn’t make a lasting impression on me.

It is impressive that they can come up with material that quickly, but maybe a bit more honing of the songs might have made them more memorable.

But they always have that time constraint, that’s how they do KXM, so it is what it is.

paradox55, Matthew Tate and slipkid like this.
  7. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

(Totally off topic...)

What's funny about that is I can't stand the Animotion version...I knew the original by Michael Des Barres & Holly Knight...sadly I don't think it's ever been released on CD.

paradox55 likes this.
  8. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

KXM- Scatterbrain

Haven’t listened to this a whole lot, but man can these guys play...not everything is my cup of tea, but I can respect the musicianship that went into it.

Songs on my playlist: Breakout, Big Sky Country, Panic Attack & True Deceivers

But something like Calypso leaves me cold. Then again I don’t like reggae, but Not A Single Word which is dripping in it is very good.

Thanks to @paradox55 I paid some more attention to Obsession and that is going on the playlist…

9. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i think i'll get to this tomorrow

Curveboy and paradox55 like this.
  10. Matthew Tate

I didn't know if this was going to be a band or a one off project. Was happy another album got made but was hoping Dug would focus on King's X

Scatterbrain-Heavy prog rock at its finest. Crazy riff

Breakout- Heavy. I love the jam at the end

Big Sky Country- Outstanding riff and solo. The lyrics are interesting but something about the delivery isn't connecting. Nice screaming at the end by Dug though

Calypso- A hard rock calypso feel. I enjoy the cool groove and percussion. A favorite tune of mine on here

Not a Single Word-Santana feel on this one. Cool percussion again. Very catchy and George throws down an out of the box solo

Obsession-Wow I forgot about this song. Thats 3 really weird interesting songs in a row. I'm digging the riff and the heavy and then darker parts on this. Nice bass here too and Lynch just shines

Noises in the Sky-This seems like a stock Dug song to me. Its not bad its just meh. The solo though is shredtastic

Panic Attack- Great song. After this the album starts to feel overly long

It's Never Enough- Slight funk to the riff. Lynch reaches into his bag of tricks a bit.

True Deceivers- One of the best songs here and its buried near the end when the album is starting to feel too long.

Stand-This is semi interesting . Thought provoking lyrics.

Together-I didn't remember this one either but i enjoy it.Top 3 song on the album

Angel- Why bury the ballad as the last track? They needed this early in the album to break up song of the sameness

Curveboy, slipkid and paradox55 like this.
  11. paradox55

Yes! I too was really hoping for some new King’s X music- been a long time, way too long- hopefully Jerry is in good health.
    Upcoming, the final album by the artist formerly known as the Lynch Mob, The Brotherhood.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. paradox55

The Brotherhood is the eighth and final album by American hard rock band Lynch Mob.

The Brotherhood
    [​IMG]
    Studio album by
    Lynch Mob
    Released
    September 8, 2017

Track listing
    No. Title Length
    1. "Main Offender" 3:58
    2. "Mr. Jekyll and Hyde" 5:28
    3. "I'll Take Miami" 4:27
    4. "Last Call Lady" 5:47
    5. "Where We Started" 5:12
    6. "The Forgotten Maiden's Pearl" 5:04
    7. "Until The Sky Comes Down" 4:55
    8. "Black Heart Days" 5:29
    9. "Black Mountain" 4:33
    10. "Dog Town Mystics" 6:15
    11. "Miles Away" 4:56
    Bonus track
    No. Title Length
    12. "Until I Get My Gold" 3:57

Personnel

slipkid, Curveboy and TexasBuck like this.
  13. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

The Brotherhood - Most of the songs have at least something redeeming about them. The opener "Main Offender" was my favorite. Great verses, pre-chorus and solo. "Until The Sky Comes Down" was another standout. I thought the background harmonies really gave this song a boost. "Black Mountain was the other track that stood out for me. It had a mystic Zeppelin feel in the pre-chorus. "The Brotherhood" is pretty solid overall. It has its share of forgettable tracks but nothing cringeworthy. Pretty much a typical Lynch Mob album.

14. paradox55

Yes, Until the Sky Comes Down is certainly a standout.

Curveboy and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. paradox55

DQ- After listening to all of the Lynch Mob albums, what are your personal top 13 favorite tracks?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. paradox55

My top 13:

When Darkness Calls
    The Secret
    Tangled in the Web
    Wicked Sensation
    Slow Drag
    For a Million Years
    Smoke and Mirrors
    Before I Close My Eyes
    Until the Sky Falls Down
    Sanctuary
    River of Love
    Testify
    Sweet Sister Mercy

Curveboy, Matthew Tate and TexasBuck like this.
  17. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

Wicked Sensation
    River of Love
    Hell Child
    For A Million Years
    Dream Until Tomorrow
    Cold Is the Heart
    Heaven Is Waiting
    When Darkness Calls
    We Will Remain
    Believers of the Day
    Black Waters
    Main Offender
    Until the Sky Comes Down

Best I could do. The first 2 albums are the only ones I've heard more than once, so this list should be taken with a grain of salt. I had to go back to my own posts to see which ones I liked...lol

Matthew Tate and paradox55 like this.
  18. Matthew Tate

i'll have to think of my favorite tunes

paradox55 and Curveboy like this.
  19. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

From first to last:

Sweet Sister Mercy
    When Darkness Calls
    Testify
    Tangled In The Web
    For A Million Years
    Believers of the Day
    Wicked Sensation
    Street Fighting Man
    Sanctuary
    Where Do You Sleep At Night
    Relax
    World of Chance
    Until The Sky Comes Down

Honorable mention: Hellchild (re-imagined)

I will try and get to The Brotherhood before the week is up...

Matthew Tate, paradox55 and TexasBuck like this.
  20. Matthew Tate

i'll get to brotherhood before friday

Curveboy and paradox55 like this.
  21. Duol

Duol Hopeless Throwback

great question re. the Top 13.

I would say only the Top 5 or 6 were obvious for me, I had to remind myself with snippets of the discography for the rest.

I guess I haven't given the later years of the discography as many spins - but I would say maybe in the later years they focused far less on writing big radio/MTV-friendly choruses...probably because those methods of airplay were long since lost to them!

But that does mean that for my poor music overladen brain, it was less easy to recall the later stuff. Not that "less catchy" means "worse" by any means.

Anyway, here's the list. Am I going to be the only hipster edgelord who puts tracks from "Smoke This" into the final cut? :winkgrin:

• Wicked Sensation
    • She’s Evil But She’s Mine
    • Tangled in the Web
    • Playalistics
    • Beg
    • Smoke And Mirrors
    • Slow Drag
    • World of Chance
    • Believers of the Day
    • Into The Light
    • Waterfall
    • Jungle of Love
    • Main Offender
    Re. "The Brotherhood", yet again I would say it's a good, solid, enjoyable later-period LM release.

I know that's a pretty bland statement, but that really is the way I feel about a lot of the later stuff, it's something that I'll enjoy whilst listening to it, sporadically think, "hey...cool riff", or be impressed by an Oni vocal part, or whatever.

Then I'll give it 5-10 spins around the time of release, but probably not really revisit that much beyond that.

But I'll pretty much always pick up GL's stuff. I suspect I've missed some of the obscurities (I don't really care for picking up every single cover track he's recorded or guest solo he's thrown out) but I've got I'd say the vast majority of the original releases.

The third KXM release was the first time I listened to the sound clips and thought, "I just really don't hear anything I care for on this", it wasn't that it sounded bad, it was just in one ear and out the other, and I thought...nah.

22. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Lynch Mob
    The Brotherhood

I haven’t listened to the whole disc since it came out..so here we go.

Main Offender – killer groove and riff...a more seasoned band bringing their A game

Mr. Jekyll & Hyde – this one is half cooked...some great music but it’s (as it’s title suggests) a schizophrenic tune with a lot of ideas that don’t seem to be fleshed out.

I’ll Take Miami – I’ll take a pass

Last Call Lady – I expect this from the local bar band, not Lynch Mob

Where We Started – This is ok, some nice riffing and a good pre-chourus. The breakdown just before the lead is really good.

The Forgotten Maiden’s Pearl – consider it forgotten

Until The Sky Comes Down – One of the best chorus the band has ever done...this song has a classic Lynch groove. There is maybe a little something lacking in the verses, but overall a really great tune.

Black Heart Days – the main riff is from another song...it’s just not coming to me. This is a good one, lyrically different for Oni, but well done and sung. Really like the bluesy stuff George does before letting it rip on the lead.

Black Mountain – music sounds a bit more like Shadow Train than LM. It’s got some good stuff but this isn’t a keeper for me.

Dog Town Mystics - Going for a bit of the Testify vibe, but it doesn’t work anywhere near as good as that song did.

Miles Away – the ballad...reminds me of something Glenn Hughes would do.

Until I Get My Gold – the less said the better.

Songs on the playlist: Main Offender, Where We Started, Until The Sky Comes Down
    I think I may add Black Heart Days...

23. Matthew Tate

We had no clue when this came out that this would be the last new album of original material released as the Lynch Mob. They go out on a pretty high note though. Everyone brings their A game. I was very happy with the albums released after Oni came back with Smoke and Mirrors

1. "Main Offender" -Strong start like usual. A bit funky.

2. "Mr. Jekyll and Hyde" -Looks like I'm alone so far. I thought this was outstanding and one of my favorite on the album

3. "I'll Take Miami"-Weird that the worse part of a song can be the chorus but this song achieves that. Other than the chorus its ace

4. "Last Call Lady" -Very catchy and fun. The album needed a song like this right here. No need for 6 minutes of it though

5. "Where We Started" -Pretty good but these guys could churn this out in their sleep.

6. "The Forgotten Maiden's Pearl" -Now this is a really interesting song. Unique with some middle eastern or spanish influences

7. "Until The Sky Comes Down" -Best song here. I remembered this after my very first listen

8. "Black Heart Days" -Agree the riff sounds like another tune and I can't place it. Another great tune. This album is better than I remember. I'm glad I waited to list my top 13 because 2 tunes from this album might make it if not 3

9. "Black Mountain" -I was a bit worried having two songs in a row with the word black in the title. Sometimes things get repetitive but not here. They groove out hard. This imo is the bands 3rd best album after the first 2

10. "Dog Town Mystics"-You've got to be kidding. It's like they knew this might be it and just decided to lay it all out there

11. "Miles Away" -Just an ok ballad. Not bad but nothing outside of the solo grabbed me

12. "Until I Get My Gold" -This is a bonus track? Seems like it was on every edition I saw. Nice little short tune. Fits the album cover

24. Matthew Tate

my top 13 listed in order of release

1 wicked sensation
    2 river of love
    3 no bed of roses
    4 dream until tomorrow
    5 cold is the heart
    6 before i close my eyes
    7 let the music be your master
    8 believers of the day
    9 slow drag
    10 testify
    11 until the sky comes down
    12 black heart days
    13 dog town mystics

TexasBuck, Curveboy and paradox55 like this.
  25. paradox55

1. Main Offender- sizzling opening track with everything one can hope for in a Lynch Mob song
    2. Mr. Jekyll and Hyde- they mistakenly made a video for this one, I think there are several stronger songs on the album that would have served them better than this one
    3. I'll Take Miami- a fun rocking narrative from Oni, makes me want to book a flight there for a 3 day weekend.... not happening.
    4. Last Call Lady- simply put, horribly embarrassing lyrics, how did this make the album while so many other songs could have been put here?
    5. Where We Started- don’t recall this song but it’s a good one
    6. The Forgotten Maiden's Pearl- mystical and a refreshing change of pace, the band has come a long way since their debut
    7. Until the Sky Comes Down-undeniably a Lynch Mob classic with a chorus that stays in your head for days, “you can never come down...” epic
    8. Black Heart Days- another solid song, love Lynch’s work, lyrics remind me of big tech overlords
    9. Black Mountain- the lyrics don’t really make sense to me but this one is a scorching track
    10. Dog Town Mystics- the drums hit me over the head and the band is on fire! One of my favorites
    11. Miles Away- spectacular ballad and a fitting farewell to the band, the introspective lyrics really hit home, how did I leave the last pair of songs from my top 13??
    12. Until I Get My Gold (Bonus Track)- another stylistic departure that works for me
      Took me much longer than anticipated to give The Brotherhood a good listen from top to bottom but it was certainly worth the wait. I found it to be one of the most consistent Lynch Mob albums. If it is indeed their final album, they definitely left us on a high note.
      On deck, Ultraphonix- Original Human Music with Living Color’s Corey Glover on vocals. We will aim to get to it next weekend.