Dokken album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by paradox55, Jun 25, 2020.

1. paradox55

paradox55 Forum Resident Thread Starter

DQ- What are your thoughts on Living Colour?? Ever seen them? Favorite songs/albums?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I saw them open for the Rolling Stones.
    I think...they are not very good. Vernon Reid is one of the worst lead players I have ever heard; probably tied with Slash for most overrated guitarist.

That said, he did say nice things about my top band Curve back in the day...praising their album Doppelganger.

paradox55 likes this.
  3. paradox55

Curve??? Somehow I missed them... yet another band I will have to explore.

4. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

[​IMG]

5. paradox55

Back in 1989, Vivid was ubiquitous. In fact, I need not hear Cult of Personality ever again.
    That being said, Desperate People and Middle Man hold up well. It was refreshing to see another black lead singer break through to the mainstream rock scene at that time.
    I saw them on the Vivid tour and I vaguely recall crowdsurfing in a drunken stupor.

slipkid and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Duol

Duol Hopeless Throwback

to be fair, they already set the lowest lyrical benchmark imaginable with “Dance of the Dogs”. I guess they were Oni’s lyrics, but I can’t imagine why a guy (GL) who would later put out a thoughtful documentary on the plight of native Americans would ever sign that one off as bandleader, but oh well.

I haven’t listened to Living Colour in ages, but I loved them in their heyday - and by “heyday” I mean everything up to “Stain”.

I have their later stuff as well but it never quite resonated with me to the same extent.

I really like Vernon Reid’s playing, I have heard the argument from several players that I respect that they can’t stand him for being sloppy or whatever, but I like his playing for having a far wider range of influences than your average rock guy, and just the wildness of some of the lead parts.

he could be way technically cleaner for sure, but I’d take him over one of the more generic-sounding Yngwie-a-likes any day of the week.

Matthew Tate and paradox55 like this.
  7. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

"go away" is a scorcher of a tune. check it out

paradox55 likes this.
  8. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Saw them back in 1989. My only memory of the show was that it was impossible to even figure out what songs they were playing, the sound was so atrocious. Worst I have ever heard. It was in some kind of arena or gymnasium at Villanova University of all places (only show I have ever seen or even heard of playing at that college). Have no idea how they ended up there.

I have all their albums. Like the 1st one the best (Vivid). Favorite song probably would be Open Letter (to a Landlord). A lot of their songs do nothing for me but some I like. Can't really remember anything at all about their other albums.

Ironically I got turned onto to them by a friend with the worst taste in music of anyone I have ever known. Seemingly no musical rhyme or reason to anything he likes other than if he can make faces, shake his fist, and jump around while it is playing, if it has some kind of attitude then he likes it. So obviously the Ramones are his favorite band (shudder).

paradox55 and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. paradox55

Ultraphonix ‎– Original Human Music
    [​IMG]
    Genre:
    Jazz, Rock, Funk / Soul
    Style:
    Hard Rock, Funk, Funk Metal, Jazz-Rock, Jazz-Funk
    Year:
    Notes:
    Original Human Music ‎ is the debut album from Ultraphonix it was released under German based label Ear Music.

The Band
    Corey Glover - Lead Vocals
    George Lynch - Guitars
    Chris Moore - Drums
    Poncho Tomaselli - Bass

Produced by Bob Daspit
    Release date August 03, 2018

Tracklist
    Baptism 4:44
    Another Day 4:50
    Walk Run Crawl 3:50
    Counter Culture 3:58
    Heart Full Of Rain 5:23
    Free 4:17
    Wasteland 5:36
    Take A Stand 4:10
    Ain't Too Late 3:53
    Soul Control 3:32
    What You Say 3:58
    Power Trip 5:22

Curveboy, TexasBuck and slipkid like this.
  10. paradox55

11. paradox55

12. paradox55

Some good songs on here; hope to post a review early next week.

Curveboy and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Made my top ten list in 2018.

Found short take on it here amongst my other faves that year. Linked an insightful & in-depth review there from a site called redguitarmusic.

The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Ultraphonix - Original Human Music
    [​IMG]
    Somehow George Lynch has done it again. Most prolific guitarist in rock today. I've lost count of how many excellent bands/projects he continues to roll out on what seems like a monthly basis. With all the things he's been involved with recently you'd think somewhere along the way he would get too diluted and run out of worthwhile musical ideas but I've not heard the rot set in yet. A great album with strong vocals from Living Colour's Corey Glover.
    Ultraphonix - Original Human Music (Album Review)

Worth picking up if yer a Lynch fan.

14. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

Ultraphonix ‎– Original Human Music

I originally wasn't going to bother with this one but after playing the YouTube links above, it seemed to have potential. Turns out, it was a pretty interesting listen. I can't say I'm a fan of the political lyrics but I guess they are better than worn out sexual innuendo clichés. I'm not familiar with Living Colour, other than the 3 singles off Vivid. I was surprised how well Corey Glover's voice has held up. He sounds great. Lynch's playing sounds inventive and inspired. This album is no classic but definitely worth a listen.

Matthew Tate, slipkid and paradox55 like this.
  15. Duol

Duol Hopeless Throwback

Thanks for posting the videos. I didn’t remember the songs just from the titles but I’m pretty bad with song titles these days anyway unless I’ve played the song to death.

This project didn’t make a huge impact on me but I liked it, I agree with the review comment above noting that GL has pretty good quality control given how prolific he is.

Also impressive how he cuts across styles, it’s certainly far from the case that he’s just recycling the Dokken format...unless he’s specifically asked to do that like in, say, Sweet/Lynch which was clearly intended as an 80s HR tribute.

16. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Ultraphonix

So I never bothered with this...given my dislike of Living Color I just chalked this up to being Smoke This Part II

So after listening on Spotify I'll say this is one of the most interesting things George has done. It's going on my Xmas wish list.

Another Day is stunning...but Heartful of Rain is too long. But overall this is George really stretching himself as a player, and Glover sounds fantastic. The backing band is pretty great too.

17. paradox55

Baptism- strong opening track, like the chant(Ozzy Diary of a Madman-esque)love the lyrics
    Another Day- glorious mid tempo track: It’s another day / Where the sun won’t shine / And the rain won’t come.”
    Walk Run Crawl- great infectious groove and message as well as an album highlight
    Counter Culture- acoustic opening, not bad but I don’t like the chorus
    Heart Full Of Rain- forgettable ballad
    Free - an album highlight; Hendrix-esque, really like the lyrics and George’s spacey playing
    Wasteland- oh yes! So good, another keeper
    Take A Stand - sounds like the Chili Peppers, can’t get into this one
    Ain't Too Late- nice groove and chorus
    Soul Control -another one reminiscent of the Chili Peppers, not a fan of this one
    What You Say- filler
    Power Trip- enjoyed this one...until the last minute. Glover’s primal screams are grating and ruin an otherwise good closer

Missed this one upon its release but so glad I gave it a listen. 5 strong songs to add to my playlist. Next up, the return of Robert Mason as we discuss The End Machine.

18. Matthew Tate

glad you gave this a chance but scratching my head you were thinking there'd be a lot of rapping or something by Glover because living colour he doesn't do that. he sings like dug from kings x

paradox55, Curveboy and slipkid like this.
  19. Matthew Tate

I was super excited for this . I love Living Colour and thought this would be interesting and it is

Tracklist
    Baptism- Great opener. The bass player throws down a solid groove

Another Day - Fantastic. Corey Glover shines and again the bass player is on point. I've never even heard of the bass player before this. Lynch does a cool little guitar flourish throughout. Just a joy on the ears

Walk Run Crawl -From gospel and funk to straight metal. Glad they are exploring all styles and don't try and fit some box. Blistering solo by Lynch

Counter Culture -Bass is really funky. This feels more like a Living Colour tune but sadly its stronger than most of the songs on the post 2000 Living Colour albums

Heart Full Of Rain -Something different again. This song makes me notice how every instrument in the mix is so clear. I hear the drums and bass clearly every song which usually doesn't happen on modern albums.

Free -This one is heavy but seems like a jam that just lyrics were added. That being said has some space playing by Lynch

Wasteland -This reminds me of another band but I can't put my finger on it. The song is fantastic though. Around the 4 minute mark that breakdown smacks you hard with that crunching riff

Take A Stand -The drums and Lynch just cook through this. I wish these guys would make a second album. Huge chemistry

Ain't Too Late -Man they groove so hard on this one.

Soul Control -Very busy bass here. I agree this one for sure has a RHCP feel.

What You Say -Heavy but I agree basically filler

Power Trip -Sad this is it because these guys showed a great chemistry. Took lots of chances and made a winner. The screams at the end don't bother me ;)

TexasBuck, paradox55 and slipkid like this.
  20. paradox55

The End Machine is the first album by American supergroup The End Machine. It was released on March 22, 2019, and produced by bass player Jeff Pilson for Italian music label Frontiers Records. It was preceded by the single "Alive Today" on January 11, 2019.

The End Machine
    [​IMG]
    Studio album by
    The End Machine
    Released
    March 22, 2019

Track listing
    All songs written by George Lynch, Jeff Pilsonand Robert Mason.

No. Title Length
    "Leap of Faith" 5:07
    2. "Hold Me Down" 5:17
    3. "No Game" 4:39
    4. "Bulletproof" 4:48
    5. "Ride It" 4:50
    6. "Burn the Truth" 6:12
    7. "Hard Road" 4:02
    8. "Alive Today" 5:33
    9. "Line of Division" 4:43
    10. "Sleeping Voices" 6:45
    11. "Life is Love is Music" 4:49
    Total length: 56:45
    Japan edition bonus track
    No. Title Length
    "Burn the Truth" (acoustic version)

Personnel

• George Lynch - electric guitar, acoustic Guitar, sounds
    • Jeff Pilson - bass, 10-String Bass, fretless bass, keyboards, acoustic guitar, backing vocals, producing, recording
    • Mick Brown - drums, percussion, backing vocals
    • Robert Mason - lead and backing vocals

Matthew Tate, slipkid and Curveboy like this.
  21. paradox55

22. paradox55

23. paradox55

24. Duol

Duol Hopeless Throwback

I’ll have to give this another listen, looking at the track list then “Alive Today” was the only one I could remember how it went, I guess that’s because it was the lead video track so I probably listened to it more.

I’ll always be up for Pilson/GL collaborations, I think Pilson’s really underrated in terms of his songwriting, production and backing vocal additions.

I know Mick Brown is retired from touring now, I don’t know if he’s retired from recording too - hopefully not, but if he was then this would be a decent swan song.

I like Robert Mason too, you’d have to say that Oni Logan is the definitive voice of Lynch Mob but he’s a strong vocal talent also and it’s nice to see him with an outlet that isn’t just “the replacement guy in Warrant”.

25. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

The End Machine

So this is probably the last we’ll get out of Wild Mick as a drummer...which is sad for me as I love his playing, but he leaves quite the legacy behind. Initially when I had listened to this I may had judged it too harshly for feeling pieced together; yes there are some clear edits but maybe they are not as glaring as I had thought. Also the name confusion was ridiculous and unnecessary. It still seems like the band is called The End and the album is called Machine...it’s just not a good logo design.

Songs on my playlist: Leap of Faith, No Gain, Line of Division

Leap of Faith – Mason sounds more like Pilson here IMO, it’s a decent song but nothing groundbreaking.

Hold Me Down – Nice melody and not far off from the s/t Lynch Mob album material. Robert sounds more like himself too. Nice bluesy lead from George...the music under the lead break almost reminds me of Led Zep. Goes on for a good 30 seconds too long.

No Gain – some classic AC/DC riffage leads to some Lynch Mob goodness. This is one of the songs I like a lot. Actually this is the best tune on the album.

Bulletproof – I feel like I should love this but I don’t...maybe it’s the mix, or it’s just a bit unfinished?

Ride It – Oh dear...I mean, it’s uptempo which is a good break from the groove stuff...but ooof those lyrics. The drumming, especially after the lead break is exceptional, but then there is what seems like a slightly off-time edit back into the chorus.

Burn The Truth – nice acoustic intro...honestly I don’t remember this one at all...which is a shame as it’s very good. Can do without the acapella break.

Hard Road – Like that intro and the driving bass. The lyrics, especially the chorus just don’t do it for me.

Alive Today – Wow this really reminds me of another band and song...can’t put my finger on it. It’s all just OK...again the lyrics just kill this for me.

Line of Division – Fists in the air! Really like the switch up in the chorus to something a bit more soulful. Mason really belting it out and some meaningful lyrics. Love George’s rhythms here too. I wish more of the album sounded like this.

Sleeping Voices – huh...this one slipped past me, it’s very good but maybe goes on a bit too long. Seems like they were going for another When Darkness Calls but it doesn’t quite have the same impact.

Life Is Love Is Music – oh my...that chorus is just brutal.

slipkid, Matthew Tate and paradox55 like this.