Dokken album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by paradox55, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Don't have time to invest in the whole thing but cool that they at least did a show!

Matthew Tate and paradox55 like this.
  2. Duol

Duol Hopeless Throwback

I hadn’t even thought about the name to be honest...after the utter nothingness that was “T&N” (from the band name perspective) literally almost anything seems like a win for a “Dokken but not Dokken” line-up, relatively speaking.

I think they should get a drummer called Finch so then they can be Lynch Pilson Finch Mason, that at least has a bit of sonic rhythm to it, even though it has the downside of sounding like a law firm.

Curveboy and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. paradox55

paradox55 Forum Resident Thread Starter

1. "Leap of Faith" an ok song but unworthy of an opener. How Alive Today isn’t song one boggles my mind!
    2. "Hold Me Down"- Mason sounds great but this song is sub par
    3. "No Game" - AC/DC sounding opening and a solid rocker.
    4. "Bulletproof" - another average song
    5. "Ride It" god awful filler
    6. "Burn the Truth" I keep revisiting this song trying to figure out if I like it or not. Love the lyrics but wished it rocked harder.
    7. "Hard Road" I can’t get into this one at all
    8. "Alive Today" glorious! Soaring carpe diem chorus and a highlight of the album. “Alive today, never for yesterday.” Should have been the opening salvo
    9. "Line of Division" the boys really bring it here but for some reason it doesn’t click with me.
    10. "Sleeping Voices" yes!!! An epic track. Great performance by Mason and my favorite song here
    11. "Life is Love is Music" fun, uplifting sing along to wrap up the album.

Great hearing Robert Mason once again as I really liked the second Lynch Mob album. Some mighty fine tracks here but I certainly would have altered the sequencing. Earlier in thread, someone recommended some of Mason’s work with Warrant but I never got around to listening to it. One of these days!
    On deck, Circle of Dolls by KXM.

slipkid, Curveboy and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. paradox55

Reading everyone’s top 13 Lynch Mob songs was interesting, so as we prepare for the most recent KXM album, let us to the same for King’s X.
    A tall order indeed, but what are your top 13 songs by King’s X.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. paradox55

Cigarettes
    Dogman
    Summerland
    The World Around Me
    A Box
    Groove Machine
    Ocean
    Pillow
    Power of Love
    Over My Head
    Goldilox
    Shoes
    Life Going By
    .... difficult to do as I left of some songs I adore.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i'll get to the end machine this week . whats left after KXM? just the dirty shirley album?

paradox55 likes this.
  7. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

my Kings X knowledge is sorely lacking

paradox55 and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

KX is one of my fave bands. Used to travel around to see them back in the old daze. Lots of cool memories.

Trying to pick my top 13 KX songs....sheesh this is soooooooo hard...will go with whatever first pops into my mind, which means I will leave off many other worthy contenders...

Goldilox / Picture (basically sister songs, at least the verses/main riff)
    Over My Head
    Summerland
    Cigarettes
    We Were Born to Be Loved (the greatest air drumming song ever written! such a kick to drum along to this with Jerry, all the stops/starts/etc, I always work up quite a sweat seeing them live with this one)
    Black Flag
    Shot of Love
    Power of Love
    It's Love
    Fool You
    King
    A Box
    Looking for Love
    Mississippi Moon
    Pretend
    The World Around Me
    Lost In Germany
    (crap already passed 13...not sure what to trim out...too hard....will just let those fly)

9. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

That's easily remedied. :winkgrin:

10. paradox55

We have 3 left: Dirty Shirley, Black Swan, and Dokken’s Lost Songs.

slipkid, Matthew Tate and Curveboy like this.
  11. Duol

Duol Hopeless Throwback

Yikes. This was tough. I do have all the stuff post-Ear Candy as well but I can't say much of it left a big impression, though I remember thinking that XV was much closer to the glory years.

Anyway, no particular order:

• The Burning Down
    • Goldilox
    • Pleiades
    • Everybody Knows a Little Bit of Something
    • Over My Head
    • In the New Age
    • Out of the Silent Planet
    • It's Love
    • Dream In My Life
    • The World Around Me
    • Fool You
    • The Train
    • Life Going By

slipkid, Matthew Tate and paradox55 like this.
  12. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Any of those that did not make my list deserve to be on it!!!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Seeing some of your musical likes over the years in various threads I am not positive you will dig them fanatically like some of us (and seeing them live was a big key to making me a fanatic) but I think you would like them.

I highly recommend you explore by just getting their first album (called Out of the Silent Planet) and without previewing any of it in advance start with the first song, turn up your stereo as loud as it will go, and then be blasted out of your ears - I say that because that is what happened to me back in 1988 when I picked up that album only because it was on sale for $8 at friend's store, I was in the mood for trying something new, I had heard of them in Kerrang!, and the album art looked really cool.

[​IMG]

Starting to spin that CD with track one it starts with really quiet with this weird kind of proggyish vibe, backwards sounding guitars, bizarre soundscapes for a few minutes, so I turned my stereo way up wondering what the hell this music was & what had I wasted $8 on, upon which the song then takes a left turn into a straight ahead song unlike anything I had heard b4 (or since), sending me scrambling for the remote to turn it down a little since I almost blew my eardrums out. Ty's downtuned guitar work and tone are revolutionary here, the birth of a whole guitar movement actually.

After which the next track (Goldilox) comes on and it is quite simply one of the most melodic & beautiful songs written by anyone ever. This is my fave KX song and one most fans probably feel the same way about it, such that at many shows the band go into the song and let the audience sing it to them without Doug singing it AT ALL (much to my chagrin because after hearing it like that once & thinking it's cool, I then realized I want to hear DOUG sing it not a bunch of out of tune non-singers like me).

All of their albums up through Ear Candy (1996) are at least 8 out of 10 stars for me but then things get weird and melodies get scarcer. I still love the band dearly though.

OK, off track for a Dokken thread, back to our regularly scheduled thread...

14. paradox55

I agree- Goldilox is an all time classic, one unspoiled by overplay on the radio. Should have been a smash but wasn’t in the cards.

slipkid likes this.
  15. Duol

Duol Hopeless Throwback

I started going to shows in the late 80s, I missed the couple of tours but saw them supporting "Faith Hope Love" which I remember as a phenomenal show.

Concerts in general meant more to me in my younger days and I'd literally spend months looking forward to the day, then wander around with my mind blown for a week after, but even by those standards of uncritical naive youthful bliss, I remember the King's X show was special.

I'm not sure I saw them again until maybe the early 2000s, but my enthusiasm level for them wasn't the same by that point. I didn't even buy all their later albums at the time of release, although I did go back and pick them up later on. I'll still support them though.

I don't like the "Doug lets the audience sing Goldilox" thing either, for exactly the same reason mentioned above, but oh well.

Matthew Tate, paradox55 and slipkid like this.
  16. Duol

Duol Hopeless Throwback

More info on this project here:

GEORGE LYNCH And JEFF PILSON Cover DURAN DURAN, PRINCE, OASIS, Others On 'Heavy Hitters' Album

I'm pretty "meh" about this, but will at least check out the soundclips, I think covers albums are a lame idea but if they have to do them, reworkings of songs from other genres is at least more interesting than, "hard rock band covers hard rock tune".

17. paradox55

Interesting. I’ll certainly give it a spin, and it’ll be out in time for us to discuss. Thanks for the word.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

slipkid, paradox55 and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Me too!

Curveboy likes this.
  20. Matthew Tate

Sorry, playing catchup now on this thread. The name of the band makes no sense to me. Always nice for 3/4ths classic Dokken to play together though

1. "Leap of Faith" - Not feeling this as an opener. It's too mid paced and not that catchy
    2. "Hold Me Down"- This was what I expected as an opener. Fast rocker
    3. "No Game" -I agree AC/DC feel. Thought maybe the song "hail caesar" was about to come on. It's a great song though
    4. "Bulletproof" -Heavy groove.Mason is really great here
    5. "Ride It" -This is a pretty typical sounding four of the floor Wild Mick tune. I can't believe someone thought this was bad filler. Lynch unleashes a killer solo
    6. "Burn the Truth" - I like the acoustic intro a ton. The entire opening is great. One of the catchier tunes on the album, cool acapella section into a heavy breakdown
    7. "Hard Road" - A little funk. Looks like i'm alone as I really like this one
    8. "Alive Today" -Here I do agree this is the best song on the entire album.
    9. "Line of Division"- For me the second best song on the album. Weird the 2 best are buried so deep into the album. Cool breakdown around the 3 minute mark
    10. "Sleeping Voices" - Guess what though. Epic ballad. 3rd best tune on the album.Whoever sequenced the album should rethink what they do
    11. "Life is Love is Music" -This is straight up a mason led Warrant tune. A great end to the album but I had to look at the Warrant albums he is on to make sure this wasn't just a cover from those Warrant albums

Curveboy, paradox55 and slipkid like this.
  21. Matthew Tate

kings x. no order just numbered so we can see i picked 13

1 over my head
    2 it's love
    3 groove machine
    4 alone
    5 shot of love
    6 summerland
    7 everybody knows a little bit of something
    8 we were born to be loved
    9 complain
    10 looking for love
    11 dogman
    12 life going by
    13 pleiades

i have like 9 albums by them but haven't listened in awhile. mainly been playing the guys side projects. i have about 20 cds by the 3 guys in various projects

slipkid and paradox55 like this.
  22. paradox55

Do you have one of which you would strongly recommend??

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. paradox55

Circle of Dolls is the third album by rock supergroup KXM. It was released via Rat Pak and Frontiers Records on September 13, 2019 and it was produced by KXM and Chris Collier.

Circle of Dolls
    [​IMG]
    Studio album by
    KXM
    Released
    September 13, 2019

Track listing
    All songs written by Doug Pinnick, George Lynch and Ray Luzier.

No. Title Length
    "War of Words" 4:23
    2. "Mind Swamp" 5:07
    3. "Circle of Dolls" 4:38
    4. "Lightning" 6:39
    5. "Time Flies" 4:54
    6. "Twice" 6:16
    7. "Big as the Sun" 4:23
    8. "Vessel of Destruction" 4:01
    9. "A Day Without Me" 4:13
    10. "Wide Awake" 5:25
    11. "Shadow Lover" 3:54
    12. "Cold Sweats" 3:39
    13. "The Border" 5:35

Personnel

slipkid, Matthew Tate and Curveboy like this.
  24. paradox55

25. paradox55