Dokken album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by paradox55, Jun 25, 2020.

1. paradox55

paradox55 Forum Resident Thread Starter

My Most Memorable Tours

Former DOKKEN bassist Jeff Pilson recently spoke to Suite101.com about his most memorable tours.

"The two best tours DOKKEN ever did were the DIO tour in '84-'85 and the AEROSMITH tour in '87 and '88," he said. "Those were definitely both peaks in different ways. DIO was a great band, and we were learning. We were up-and-coming, but we had a lot to learn, and we did learn. That tour toughened us up a lot. That was at a point when DIO commanded a very loyal, hardcore crowd. It toughened us up, made us a stronger live band, a better unit overall. Plus both bands and crews got along famously. To this day all the guys in the original DIO band are good friends of mine. That was a great period. It was a real magical moment in our career and they were a really great band to be on the road with. We learned a lot and had a lot of fun.

"With AEROSMITH, they were just so cool to us. It was the peak of our success, and a period when we were drawing a lot. We would have a full crowd when we would go on at the beginning of the night. It almost felt like we were a co-headliner. AEROSMITH was great to us. They were really supportive, the camaraderie with everybody was great. They were real pros and they are not uptight. So many bands tended to be really uptight. They would try to do things to your sound and not let you have lights. AEROSMITH was the opposite. They said, 'You guys do whatever you want. We want your show to be great.' They weren't threatened by us. It was really a pleasant, eye-opening experience because their professionalism and positiveness was really powerful.

"It was actually the peak for DOKKEN. It was also the period in which we were getting along the best. That was kind of ironic because [singer] Don[Dokken] announced he was leaving the band during that tour, which seemed so out of nowhere. I could not figure it out. It had me stumped

2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yeah, I respect you a ton, but I don’t care to argue anymore. People have taken me to task about my opinions on Pilson, etc. I’m a tired, old rock musician. I don’t expect people to take what I say to heart. I know what I hear and say what I think. Many do not like that.

Much respect to you, but I’m bowing out here and now. I wish the thread continued and prolonged success.

3. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Here is my (extremely short) review of Tooth & Nail from the Rokken with Dokken thread a few years ago - all my ratings are based on a scale of 0 to 10, although as we will see later I did think one Dokken album goes to "11":

Tooth and Nail (1984)

[​IMG]

1. Without Warning
    2. Tooth And Nail
    3. Just Got Lucky
    4. Heartless Heart
    5. Don't Close Your Eyes
    6. When Heaven Comes Down
    7. Into The Fire
    8. Bullets To Spare
    9. Alone Again
    10. Turn On the Action

Don Dokken - Vocals
    George Lynch - Guitar
    Jeff Pilson - Bass, vocals
    Mick Brown - Drums

The young band stands up and starts to walk, even run...."Alone Again" is such a tremendous song. The album has a bunch of great songs. Trying to rate it out of "10" I am going to have to give it an "8" to differentiate it from some other Dokken albums that I like more though.

Rating: 8

By the way, it was through this album that I was introduced to Dokken and became a lifelong fan, thanks to hearing Alone Again on the radio. I then learned that song thx to the tablature in the mag "Guitar For the Practicing Musician" which I subscribed to for many years. It's a fun song to play with a very cool & ez opening riff/chords that you can expand & jam to.

P.S. Is that perhaps the worst or weirdest album cover you've ever seen? What the heck is it supposed to even signify (if anything)? I don't even see any teeth or nails in it - unless I guess if you count the nails on the thing that looks like the hand of the creature from the black lagoon movie.

4. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

Tooth and nail- Here we go. In walks Jeff Pilson to help write and lay down backing vocals and things are instantly a million times better. He was the bands secret weapon. A lot of this album has remained in the bands setlist over the years and for good reason.

1. Without Warning- oh they bring it.great opener along with tooth and nail. really this is an intro to tooth and nail
    2. Tooth And Nail- straight pummels you . really cool version on the unplugged album from the mid 90's
    3. Just Got Lucky- another hit. very catchy. lynch shines on this. shocked don dokken had no hand in writing this
    4. Heartless Heart- also catchy. wish they played it live now
    5. Don't Close Your Eyes - the pulled this one back out live a few years ago and i'm glad.
    6. When Heaven Comes Down -this has always been a live fan favorite and i'm glad. just a heavy slammer
    7. Into The Fire-i love this song. i love the solo thats. fantastic and then it goes into that "take me back part" . thats my favorite part of the song
    8. Bullets To Spare -the filler . its ok but cheesy
    9. Alone Again-a classic . nothing else to say
    10. Turn On the Action-great closer. a semi van halen vibe with the drum gallop

who plays the keyboards on the album? i don't see a credt but some songs have some synth or something

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  5. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

I don't see any credits for the keyboards on the CD notes or anywhere on the internet. Back in the 80's, metal bands would sometimes keep the keyboards "under lock and key", in fear of backlash. Pretty silly looking back on it now. If it was someone in the band, my money is all on Pilson. It's possible it was an outside musician though.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  6. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

its either pilson or don . no doubt about it

TexasBuck and slipkid like this.
  7. Mr D

Mr D Forum Resident

Tooth and Nail. Just an all around great metal album. The three singles were all quality songs that continue to get played on stations like Hair Nation. Some of my favorite Dokken songs. A definite step up from the predecessor. Agree the album cover is kind of a mess.

8. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I don’t understand, we agree that Tooth And Nail is probably the best album. I enjoy reading your thoughts on Dokken. What argument are you referring to?

Matthew Tate and Curveboy like this.
  9. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

We weren’t, but others were having issues with my opinions. I phrased that poorly when responding to your quote. I apologize.

10. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

The thread will be the poorer for your lack of participation, that's for sure. Your opinions are always worth a read.

11. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

How did I leave off Into The Fire??
    I must have gotten distracted by work...:p

Into The Fire - This is a really haunting, powerful tune that still manages to rock super hard. I was sick of it for awhile but I've come back around to loving it. There is a...mistake...in the mix that I won't point out to you because once you hear it you can't unhear it.

Purple, slipkid, TexasBuck and 2 others like this.
  12. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

You know...I don't think I ever noticed how bad that cover is...I think I was so taken with George's abs on the back cover that I didn't bother to ever think about the front!

Dynamic Ranger and carlwm like this.
  13. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Video for Without Warning / Tooth And Nail with a comp of footage from various tours and videos.

weekendtoy, TexasBuck, carlwm and 3 others like this.
  14. four sticks

I saw Dokken/Aerosmith at the Glens Falls Civic Center on October 25, 1987. It looks like it was only the sixth or seventh show of the Permanent Vacation tour. Both bands were very good and Pilson's comments are accurate, at least for this show, in that Dokken came out to a nearly full house.

15. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Tooth and Nail and Back For The Attack are neck and neck for me. Dysfunctional is close behind them.

16. paradox55

Great point, CarlWM. Godshifter, the fun has only just begun. Nothing wrong with some healthy debate. Hope you’ll reconsider.

17. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I saw Dokken on the Erase The Slate tour...got to hang out backstage too.
    Not the best of nights as one friend almost killed themselves drunk driving...

Also saw Lynch Mob on the Wicked Sensation tour.

Both shows were at very small venues so it was awesome to be so close to them.

slipkid, TexasBuck, paradox55 and 2 others like this.
  18. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I saw them on Erase The Slate tour and some package tour with Poison and Sebastian Bach in the late 2000s.

slipkid, TexasBuck, Curveboy and 3 others like this.
  19. paradox55

That was also my first time seeing Dokken. Back for the Attack, my favorite Dokken album, had just come out and they were on fire. Even bought myself a shirt. The place was packed and they were certainly on the peak of their popularity. Can’t believe I just found the entire set of that very show/ spectacular footage from 1987!

20. four sticks

I don't think Back For The Attack was out yet when I saw them in October although I'm almost positive they played a song or two from it.
    Edit - watching the video you posted, Kiss Of Death as the opener does ring a bell. Probably the exact same set I saw.

I also saw Dokken in June of 1986 at the Meadowlands supporting Judas Priest. They (Dokken) were also great that night.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  21. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Tooth and Nail

Without Warning/Tooth and Nail - Great moody buildup. I always liked that type of guitar that sounds like something's coming in the night. The title track picks it up and away we go! The title track would sit comfortably in a Motorhead album - fast, short and to the point. Dokken and Lynch both get to show their chops here. Does this 1-2 opening belong in the Hallowed Halls? I'll say "yes".

Just Got Lucky - Hard rock with a catchy pop melody. Dokken's forte at the time.

Heartless Heart - Filler. Catchy, though. Nice solo.

Don't Close Your Eyes - Is the rhythm section doing a fast version of "Immigrant Song"? It is, to my ears. Moves along nicely, but a rare subpar solo from Lynch.

When Heaven Comes Down - I dig the groove on this one. The pretty pre-chorus is a great segue to the heavy chorus. Great live song.

Into the Fire - Similar to "Just Got Lucky", but better. This is a well-constructed song that flows nicely with the loud/soft dynamics. The vocal harmonies are good, especially in the bridge before the last round of choruses.

Bullets to Spare - Clumsy attempt to use gunplay as a metaphor for sex. "She wanted this, I gave her that"? "She felt no pain when I started moving in for the kill"? Um, OK Don. Carry on.

Alone Again - One of the best power ballads of the era. The acoustic-y guitar sets up Don's vocals nicely. Love the solo.

Turn on the Action - Like @Matthew Tate I get a Van Halen vibe, but a strong one. Specifically "Hot for Teacher". The drum track sounds like a simpler version of that, and even the drum tone is Alex Van Halen-ish. The ending is pretty much the same. This is my first time giving this song a close listen - It seems like a filler end-track on the surface, but now I dig it.

Oh, and I like the album cover :hide:. Portents of Freddie Krueger, perhaps?

22. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

I also saw Dokken on the Aerosmith tour. Columbus, OH for me.

I saw them again in 1988 on the Monsters of Rock Tour, this time in Akron, OH. Kingdom Come, Scorpions, Metallica and Van Hagar were also on the bill. Saw Dokken again in 1995 and Lynch Mob in 1991 - Both at the Newport Music Hall in Columbus, OH.

23. Vintagejazz

Vintagejazz Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

First time seeing Dokken. They were the opener for Y&T and TS. I only knew breaking the chains video before the show.

They only played six songs but were the best band that night. I am a huge TS fan but had seen them. Dee’s energy is amazing but musically Dokken was great. They left you wanting more and I bought T&N album right away.

24. paradox55

Under Lock and Key
    [​IMG]
    Studio album by
    Dokken
    Released
    November 22, 1985
    Recorded 1985

Label Elektra
    Producer Neil Kernon, Michael Wagener

Personnel
    Don Dokken-lead vocals
    George Lynch-guitar
    Jeff Pilson-bass
    Wild Mick Brown-drums

Singles from Under Lock and Key
    1. "The Hunter"
      Released: December 10, 1985 (promo only)
    2. "In My Dreams" / "Til the Livin' End"
      Released: August 1986
    3. "Will the Sun Rise"
      Released: 1986 (promo only)
    4. "It's Not Love"
    5. "Unchain the Night"

Track listing

All tracks are written by Dokken.

Side one
    No. Title Length
    1. "Unchain the Night" 5:19
    2. "The Hunter" 4:07
    3. "In My Dreams" 4:20
    4. "Slippin' Away" 3:48
    5. "Lightnin' Strikes Again" 3:48
    Side two
    No. Title Length
    6. "It's Not Love" 5:01
    7. "Jaded Heart" 4:16
    8. "Don't Lie to Me" 3:37
    9. "Will the Sun Rise" 4:10
    10. "Til the Livin' End" 3:59

Charts

Album
    Year Chart Position
    1985 Billboard 200 (USA)32
    1986 RPM100 Albums (Canada) 95

Singles
    Year Title Chart Position
    1985 "The Hunter" Billboard Mainstream Rock 25
    1986 "In My Dreams" 24
    Billboard Hot 100 77

slipkid, TexasBuck, Curveboy and 2 others like this.
  25. paradox55

Critical reception
    Professional ratings
    Review scores
    Source
    Rating
    AllMusic [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    The Collector's Guide to Heavy Metal 6/10[6]
    Eduardo Rivadavia in his review for AllMusiccalls Under Lock and Key "quite possibly Dokken's most 'complete' album, with a little something for every type of fan", like "fist-pumping headbangers", extraordinary "bittersweet mid-paced rockers" ("Unchain the Night" and "The Hunter") and "saccharine ballads". Rivadavia recommends the album as the best introduction to new listeners of Dokken, but notes that heavy metal purists would likely prefer the band's 1984 album Tooth and Nail. Canadian journalist Martin Popoff considers the album "too weighted towards Def Leppard's fat-and-open formula rock", resulting "a bit subdued and predictable" in comparison with its predecessor. The band's glamorous look, the media exposure and George Lynch's "attempt to define the L.A. sound in his own image" do not save Under Lock and Key from sounding "like the work of a band just fed".

slipkid, TexasBuck, Pouchkine and 3 others like this.