Don Rendell/Ian Carr Quintet - Complete Lansdowne Recordings (1965-69)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Oct 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

2. ausgraeme

ausgraeme Forum Resident

For anyone in Australia I just preordered Shades of Blue LP from Discrepancy Records in Melbourne. Expected dispatch was mid March.

Dante Fontana likes this.
  3. cjp123

cjp123 Forum Resident

4. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

Cool, thank you for the heads up on the UK.

cjp123 likes this.
  5. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

I preordered the five individual albums today. No way I'm gonna let this slip through my fingers again.

6. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

I think this is an example of new vinyl marketing: creating a hype while implying the record is AAA - i.e. cut from the analog master - while the truth is: digital master. They carefully not state this was cut from the tapes, but you get the impression. I did anyway when I read this the first time:
    "We located and acquired the original analogue master tapes from the Universal vaults and created masters at Abbey Road Studios to produce (...)" and
    "180g vinyl mastered from the original master tapes at Abbey Road Studios, London"
    No doubt these records sound fine - I'll be ordering one or two - but they most certainly would have sounded better when cut from the tapes. I have yet to hear a digitally sourced record that sounds better than the analog original or reissue.

Bryce likes this.
  7. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Information is stated on the aaa process on the booklet from the box.

Johan1880 likes this.
  8. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Thanks, I did not see "analogue cut and mastering" before. This is not mentioned online as far as I know. So we have not only a suggestion but a claim from the label that it's AAA and the email from Abbey Road that indicated digital, right?

Bryce likes this.
  9. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I am almost 100% it has been heavily discussed in this thread I may have posted that picture before. At the time it was being thrown back and forward so I uploaded the shot to discogs & I think this thread. I really wish companies would make them so it’s clearly stated if it’s digits or AAA as it is very important. I must confess I still have not played all these yet I just can’t get away from acoustic blues to go listening to jazz, the day will come though.

Defrance and Johan1880 like this.
  10. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

You're right, this was discussed in this thread, that why i hesitated ordering these records. And I meant that Jazzman did not mention online (on the website) the info you provided with your scan. Today I ordered Dusk Fire and Shades of Blue, your info convinced me enough.

Tuck1977 likes this.
  11. cjp123

cjp123 Forum Resident

I think the confusion comes from Abbey Road itself, not the label. Abbey Road is a large enough studio with all sorts of folks mastering lps there that whomever answered the original post's question about analog or digital probably wasn't informed enough to answer the question and likely reading off a sheet of information.

12. Glennza

Glennza Londoner, lost in the back of beyond

Now in stock at Jazzman!

Jimmy Cooper and Bryce like this.
  13. HappyFingers

HappyFingers Forum Resident

Ordered the three still available from Jazzman, Dusk Fire from somewhere else, and was pleased to pick up Shades Of Blue from Honest Jon's this afternoon.
    Utterly great: music, sound quality, packaging (oh those flipbacks), everything.
    Wunderbar!

RiRiIII and Bryce like this.
  14. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

Yes, I screwed up on an order direct with Jazzman and now everything is out of stock with them (also including the 2 new Spiritual Jazz albums that they released this week). Good for them - I dropped them a note and it sounds like it will be May before there are any more available. I managed to get everything apart from 'Shades of Blue' from various places (I had to order from 3 seperate vendors)! Looking forward to getting them and spending some time with them - hopefully I can pick up any I miss when the next batch comes through.

It really is incredible to see how these are selling out - everywhere is out of stock - Juno, Rough Trade, Normans etc. I'm really happy for Jazzman records.

15. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

I'm getting really pi**ed at Universal. How can those represses be sold out before release? They knew exactly how big demand was. This and Universal's policy to release Blue Note's Tone Poet titles in Europe with a 6 week delay (Sam River's "Contours") leaves me wondering what their agenda is...

16. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Available in the States.

17. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

All titles listed as still available at Honest Jon's in London.

18. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Picked up all 5 titles today and with what limited listening to I've done so far am extremely impressed. I've only had some downloads to listen to previously, and obviously these are on a completely different level. And yes, the packaging is top rate as well. Very pleased.

Bryce likes this.
  19. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

Urgh. Most places are sold out of some (if not all) of the titles. Where is the go-to place to buy all 5 of these in one fell swoop? All 5 in stock and ready to ship?

20. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

21. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Bryce likes this.
  22. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

For anyone who missed out, there are more coming in May.

HappyFingers and sberger like this.
  23. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

My copy of Dusk Fire arrived today. Beautifully done, quality pressing, sounds FANTASTIC!

HappyFingers, Bryce and sberger like this.
  24. Carter DeVries

Carter DeVries Forum Resident

25. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Great. I have the box but was thinking I would pick up extra copies because they are so good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.