Don Rendell/Ian Carr Quintet - Complete Lansdowne Recordings (1965-69)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Oct 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cervelo

Cervelo Forum Resident

Just looked again on the Stranded site and Dusk Fire and Shades of Blue vinyl are sold out. Other titles are available there. Also checked Jazzman and several others with no luck. Elusive disc shows them available 5/31- not sure how accurate that date is.

2. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

3 out of 5 is a good start. Grab them while you can.

Carter DeVries likes this.
  3. ANALOGUE OR DEATH

ANALOGUE OR DEATH Forum Resident

Sure,the re-issues.Not originals.

4. Carter DeVries

Carter DeVries Forum Resident

Absolutely grab Phase III, Live and Change-Is From Stranded while available. Supposedly there wasn’t going to be a repress, but email either Elusive or Jazzman for he latest info on that. Both companies are easily reachable and responsive. Good luck!

Bryce likes this.
  5. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

A repress is coming in May....keep an eye on dates.

6. Cervelo

Cervelo Forum Resident

Thanks!

7. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I just picked up the 2 Blue Note Spiritual Jazz compilations by Jazzman. I started with volume 2. Halfway through. Excellent sound and nicely pressed by GZ. No mention of being cut from the original masters. Definitely digital.

8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Universal needs to be broken up.

9. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Well they have become a huge monster that controls a large chunk of the world's musical heritage which is close to being a monopoly in some areas, but of the big three they probably have the best reissue campaign for what it's worth.

10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

You know infinitely more than I do about this stuff.

As a consumer, unless it’s a major artist, I find Universal reissues to be cheaply done, with little care put into the product.

11. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I wouldn't argue that point, but at least they do seem to reissue more than Sony or Warner's and also licence to lots of other labels hence the Rendell/Carrs and Jazzman's Spiritual Jazz Blue Note volumes and their Tone Poet series are superb, possibly the best reissues I recall from a major label so not everything is cheaply done, I really hope the 80th Blue Notes are done properly though.

Stu02, Cervelo and Tommyboy like this.
  12. Moroboshi

Moroboshi Well-Known Member

Can you imagine the work needed to get the rights and access to all the original masters? Seems hard enough for a single album, must be absolutely brutal for a compilation.

Tommyboy likes this.
  13. happy2behere

happy2behere Forum Resident

The inner sleeve indicates an analogue cut at Abbey Road.

14. Moroboshi

Moroboshi Well-Known Member

On the Blue Note Spritual Jazz Compilations Vol. 9 (vol.1 & 2) by Jazzman? I have to check them out when I get home. I think you're talking about the Don Rendell/Ian Carr reissues.

15. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yeah, the inner sleeves for the Blue Note Spiritual jazz compilations are housed in plain black poly-lined inner sleeves. No mention at all of being remastered from the original analog tapes.

Moroboshi likes this.
  16. happy2behere

happy2behere Forum Resident

Yes, I was talking about the DR/IC reissues. Lost the thread I guess.

17. Mc50

Mc50 Member

Late to the plate-woke up like I was gonna start cryin (- see most recent episode of Billions and the lost Patek). Missed the box set and dusk fire. And I buy from Jazzman now and again.

18. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

DON RENDELL - IAN CARR QUINTET / SHADES OF BLUE / COLUMBIA / 1965 / JAZZMAN STEREO REISSUE OF 33SX 1733 LP

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Carter DeVries likes this.
  19. irwin69

irwin69 Forum Resident

Dubmart likes this.
  20. Bjorn Kjetil Johansen

Bjorn Kjetil Johansen Vortex Surfer

The Rendell/Carr reissues are back in stock at Jazzman. Just ordered Dusk Fire and Shades of Blue.
    £37 including shipping to Norway. Not bad.

Dubmart, RiRiIII and ausgraeme like this.
  21. ausgraeme

ausgraeme Forum Resident

Thanks so much for the tip. My preorder fell through so just jumped on and ordered same records as you just now.

Bjorn Kjetil Johansen likes this.
  22. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I picked up phase III recently. ( i already had Shades and Dusk) and I love it too. I love the sometimes sparse sometimes hectic nature of the music and the intense interactions amongst the players. Not sure what you all think if this one but I dont think its getting the attention it deserves

23. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

There are some great jazz re-issue programs going on right now.....but I couldn't have been more impressed with how Jazzman have managed this. Great sounds, great attention to detail, well managed inventory and repressed when needed. Don't sleep on them, get them while you can.
    I think in said it up in this thread...I hope they table Mike Westbrook or some other Britt Jazz stuff.

ausgraeme likes this.
  24. Glennza

Glennza Londoner, lost in the back of beyond

I picked up all five a couple of months back. Was stunned by how good they sound. Only problem was some really bad crackle at the end of side one on Dusk Fire - in a really quiet passage too!

I emailed Gerald at Jazzman and he was kind enough to send a replacement now the second repress is done. Unfortunately, it has exactly the same issue in exactly the same place. Am I just unlucky? Don't think I'll have much luck asking for another replacement.

Here's a link so you can see what I'm talking about...

MOV_0494.mp4

25. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

I have something similar in the same spot at the end of side one - it isn't as pronounced as on your clip, and only runs for 20 seconds or so - I don't think I will ask for a replacement. Interesting that we had a similar issue - anyone else?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.