Don Rendell/Ian Carr Quintet - Complete Lansdowne Recordings (1965-69)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Oct 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

Did anyone else land a copyright of this yet? I’m confused as to whether copies have been going out (apart from @ANALOGUE OR DEATH)!

2. 926am

926am Senior Member

No. Pre-ordered but not shipped.

3. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Release date is now listed as the 7th, Jazzman sent his out early as is his prerogative, though the general consensus is that retailers were heavily scaled back in their orders and pretty much all of them have already sold their entire allocations before they've even received them, hence nobody accepting orders even though it's out on Friday. There's one seller on eBay UK who has them listed at a nice mark up of £141.65, but assuming he can deliver and there's no repress that might be a cheap price if you missed all the normal retailers, I'm still counting on my HMV order coming through for £79.

I was having a conversation with someone about why Jazzman didn't do 3,000 or 5,000 copies, it could be the licensing deal, or as I pointed out Jazzman have had to pay for 5,000 LPs to be pressed with payment due before they see payment from the distributor, that's a five figure sum they've laid out, on the positive side with the set selling out so quickly Jazzman will be in line for a nice payment, hopefully some of that will go to a second larger pressing of the box or to individual issues, I'd be amazed if they left so many potential buyers disappointed.

ashiya and jusbe like this.
  4. Defrance

Defrance A Northern Soul Thread Starter

I got my shipping notice from Bandcamp on Tuesday morning ("Shipped on December 4, 2018 and estimated to arrive by December 18, 2018").

Dubmart likes this.
  5. Defrance

I suspect that individual issues would follow. That way everyone can get their hands on the music. I agree that after 20 years of effort, it wouldn't make good business sense to only press up 1000 boxes (or agree to such terms with the owner of the tapes).

Dubmart and jusbe like this.
  6. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

Damn, I'll be really annoyed if I miss out on this. Thanks for the updates everyone - looks like it is a 'sit and wait' scenario....I can't remember the last time that something sold out before it was even launched! Who knew!
    I'm sure something will turn up on eBay or some such.

7. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

I placed my order with 3 amazons. Let's see.

8. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

I never once saw it up for pre-order on Amazon UK.

jusbe likes this.
  9. Defrance

I only knew about it because I follow Sly Vinyl on Twitter.

10. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Don't sleep on this one, gang; it's gonna disappear quick. My advice is to grab the first reasonably priced in-stock copy you can get your hands on.

11. JHC3

JHC3 Senior Member

So you are saying that you have it and have listened to it?

12. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Nah. I just have knowledge that distributors and stores are getting shorted everywhere and demand is high. I'll have a copy in my paws next week (guaranteed) so I'm not personally concerned but anyone else wanting this better jump feet first on top of whatever copy presents itself to them.

13. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

Absolutely. It still seems kinda weird -Juno has it as coming soon, Amazon has 14th Dec date, HMV 7th Dec (but sold out), Jazzman (sold out).......I asked for alerts from Juno and Jazzman a couple of months back but never got one.
    I’ll definitely pick it up as soon as I see a copy.
    Has anyone else received it yet - thoughts on lesson quality and mastering?

14. SAMAUL

SAMAUL Senior Member

I pre order mine via bandcamp months ago and have not receive any shipping notification yet. :sigh:

15. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

HMV have put it back to the 14th, that's the fourth time the release date has been moved and doesn't make me feel any more secure about getting it. What I can't understand is why Jazzman have shipped their orders a week ago, but nobody else seems to have them, not sure they could wind us up more if they tried, I just want my box set.

16. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

I can't find any dealers who got this Box in stock. Can anyone help?

Tuck1977 likes this.
  17. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Me too

Jimmy Cooper likes this.
  18. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

Sold out if you did not pre-order

19. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

I know I keep coming back to this thread to post the same thing......but something weird is going on with this set. I find it bizarre that we have only one person on this forum with the records in hand!
    I hope I’m wrong and it just appears as in stock someday soon!

jusbe likes this.
  20. Glennza

Glennza Londoner, lost in the back of beyond

Juno are listing it as "Coming Soon". Why would they do that if it is already sold out?

21. Pualey

Pualey Active Member

I've been waiting a while for this, myself. I missed it on bandcamp, then tried ordering through Juno, then Phonica, who initially gave a preorder option and removed it from their website. I went to their shop a week ago and they told me that they had a couple reserved for people, but weren't sure when they would be receiving them and recommended I look elsewhere as they didn't expect to receive more. I pretty much had the same response from Sister Ray and Sounds of the Universe.

I have fortunately managed to reserve the last of three copies promised to Ray's Jazz. I called today to check if they'd come in, and they said that they hadn't received them, and hadn't been updated by email regarding the status of the release.

Many of the shops that I have spoken with seem as uncertain as each other.

22. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Because the person doing the mail outs doesn't have access to what the stock levels are and this release is pretty exceptional in that the demand far, far exceeds the 1,000 pressed, I bet Juno won't have any available on release day.

23. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Based on posts elsewhere people who ordered direct from Jazzman all got their copies, I agree that the delay with any other retailer getting stock is pretty strange.

Defrance likes this.
  24. Pualey

Pualey Active Member

Sounds of the universe in Soho have a load of these in now. I just picked one up without pre-ordering. £89.99 I literally just bought a copy. It's in my hand!

25. ANALOGUE OR DEATH

ANALOGUE OR DEATH Forum Resident

Appro nothing at all.My copy is number 938/1000 which I found a bit odd bearing in mind that I got it direct from Jazzman and on first day of release! Would have thought it might have been a low number.Where are the low numbers?

RiRiIII likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.