Don Rendell/Ian Carr Quintet - Complete Lansdowne Recordings (1965-69)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Oct 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jojo29

jojo29 Active Member

RiRiIII likes this.
  2. cdb3

cdb3 Forum Resident

I had a shock this afternoon when I called into my nearest proper record shop. I live in Milton Keynes where there is still an HMV but about 15 miles from me is Black Circles in Leighton Buzzard - a shop I recommend - lots of new and second-hand vinyl - but a small shop. I was picking up a leaflet about a record fair when the word Lansdowne caught my eye amongst the records behind the counter. Two copies! But they had been pre-ordered by the shop for a couple of customers who were about to pick them up.

3. Glennza

Glennza Londoner, lost in the back of beyond

I have a suspicion that Jazzman's estimation for their pressing run is probably about right. What makes this scenario unusual is the astronomical figures that the original sell for. There are probably an army of 'speculators' who saw this as a sure-fire profit-making exercise and grabbed what they could. Sadly today everything is a commodity.

4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I agree that the price of originals has an impact, but I think most of the copies have gone to fans, just look at the excitement from Jazz fans when they heard it was coming, I'm not sure speculators take much notice of Jazz, if you look at how few copies there are on Discogs compared to a very limited soundtrack release or some mainstream RSD release it's not a flood of speculators and I bet some of those sellers are retailers cashing in, plus it was actually tough to get hold of unless you ordered well in advance and I doubt anybody but fans did that, but who knows, I don't as nothing I've put out is worth more than £30:laugh:. The one thing I think we can all agree on is that there were certainly more than 1,000 Jazz fans wanting to buy these records.

5. Sydster

Sydster Forum Resident

Just got the email from Forced Exposure with the bad news that they’re unable to fill my order. That’s a drag. But I hope those who did secure them are enjoying them! No hard feelings...I was able to score one of the Don Rendell Quintet ‘Space Walk’ reissues that came out a few weeks ago and those were allegedly limited to 250. You win some, you lose some. Nature of the beast.
    These labors of love are truly labors. My hat’s off to all those who continue to make the effort.

6. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

I should jump back in and update. I don't have a boxset yet. Maybe never.

Let me first thank Jazzman for his efforts in getting this to market. Lots of people (like me) have been waiting for this release. UK jazz music of this quality it very hard to find. Jazzman is to be applauded for his extensive and longstanding efforts. By all accounts, it is an outstanding release. Well done.

I apologise for letting my disappointment show. That was unfair, and maybe it's just my tough luck. For all intents and purposes, it seems to have been a phenomenal release. Jazzman probably needs a hug and several bottles of his favourite tipple.

That said, holding pre-sales open as a means of gauging demand would surely have helped to indicate the likely need of ordering an additional repress? I'm guessing that, very quickly, the demands of getting these items distributed and simultaneously handling enquiries for additional copies became too much. And I acknowledge that it is not the fault of the publisher that copies seem to have been bought solely for the purpose of flipping at extortionate prices. So how did that happen, if copies were limited to one per person?

For those lucky enough to have a copy, well done. I hope to hear them one day at my place. But I guess I won't hold my breath!

Glennza likes this.
  7. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

8. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

You're all good.

Gerald - if you visit these pages, I don't know you but if you're like I imagine you, you'll be a very seasoned jazz fan (you must be), and hugely passionate about what you do. I wholeheartedly apologise for being a grumpy b*****d because I missed out after years of waiting. Just how it goes.

Congratulations on your success. I hope you have many more!

Glennza and Dubmart like this.
  9. Glennza

I feel like a bit of a 'cuckoo in the nest' in this thread. I'm really a bit of a proghead who started with Neil Ardley's Harmony of the Spheres back when it came out, progressed (hehe) to Nucleus and worked back from there. Now I listen predominantly to jazz, funk, reggae and a bit of Zappa. If I'm found worthy of scoring the Lansdowne box, it will be my first jazz on actual vinyl.

Dubmart likes this.
  10. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

Its quite funny, I've had both the Juno alert of it being in stock, and also earlier this afternoon, an Amazon alert for it being in stock (@£129).....both times I quickly tried to get it in my basket, but both times it wasn't available!

11. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I'm pretty sure that Amazon UK have never had it in stock or actually for sale, they have had it listed, but you could never buy it, I have no idea why such a big retailer seems to have missed out entirely on these as for Juno pretty sure they sold their allocation a few days back, somewhat annoying that they are both sending people on wild goose chases.

12. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

And Amazon com no longer lists it as "to be released" today.

13. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

All the news about this Rendell/Carr Quintet box has got me checking out Nucleus for the first time. Really dug that Solar Plexus album so now I'm gonna have to track down an original UK Vertigo of that joint.

jay.dee likes this.
  14. Glennza

I was playing "In Flagrante Delicto" yesterday. Excellent!

giantleech likes this.
  15. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Nucleus' first two albums are top-notch. Plus there is a handful of smoking live releases - Live '70 (backing Leon Thomas), Hemispheres Live '70-71 (including famous Montreux performance), Live in Bremen '72 (w/ Ray Russell on guitar), Live at the BBC '71/'83 and UK Tour '76.

giantleech likes this.
  16. Phil Daniels

Phil Daniels Well-Known Member

Anyone else got issues with the discs being dished? All 5 of mine are. 4 play ok but i'm geting some cart bumps on the others. That slip case is a bit flimsy and pinches towards the middle when sealed so that would explain it. That's my only gripe though. Artwork and sound is great.

17. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

A couple of mine are but are just pushed it down and put record clamp on. They can’t press records like the old days

Phil Daniels likes this.
  18. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Not much use to you, but there's a copy sat on the wall my local shop, it is £150 though.

giantleech likes this.
  19. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

As per comments at discogs, it seems some sets have duplicates of Dusk Fire and no Phase III but Gerarld Jazzman takes care of it (...)- so, you who have sets, you should open them and inspect.

20. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

I noticed this news recently on another forum (and then, soon afterward, on the 'scogs.) My copy is due to arrive tomorrow, so I'll be cracking the seal on that puppy and checking out the contents to make sure that all is as it should be.

RiRiIII likes this.
  21. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I have checked my copies, all good thanks. I can mop my brow.

RiRiIII likes this.
  22. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

23. 926am

926am Senior Member

How are they requiring proof you actually have the box with the wrong record? I have a still sealed copy at home that was going to be a Christmas present, but it looks like I'll have to break the seal a little bit early to make sure all is okay.

24. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    ausgraeme likes this.
  25. cjp123

cjp123 Forum Resident

For those of you who purchased this in the USA and found an extra copy of Dusk Fire but no Phase III, did you just go through the contact info form on the Jazzman site? My set just came--haven't cracked it open yet but about to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.