Donald Fagen on Miles' Bitches Brew

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Panda, Feb 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

Yup.
    He's welcome to dislike it all he wants. Lots of people hate it. But it is kind of astounding, that he thinks he's hearing musicians trying to make a funk record.

mwb, ARK, noname74 and 1 other person like this.
  2. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

If you don't like BB because it's too out there then fine that is a legit reason...but to dislike it because you think it was trying to be funk and failed is a perfect example of someone just not understanding what Miles was trying to do.

Jimijam, mwb, supernaut and 5 others like this.
  3. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Then for the record....you have no idea what Miles was trying to do with BB. Here's a hint: it wasn't funk.

ARK likes this.
  4. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

I'm still wondering where he got Funk from. :confused: Is he confusing the album with "On the Corner"?

5. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Fagen is definitely confused, that's for sure.

jeff

ARK likes this.
  6. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Fagen's free to voice whatever opinion he wants, but I have no idea what "not steady enough for funk" means.

ARK likes this.
  7. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

At least you don't fall asleep with Bitches Brew. Miles wasn't interested on being sophisticated for white people trying hard to listen to jazz; he wanted to be revolutionary.

supernaut likes this.
  8. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Based on what I've read Donald Fagen is too cranky, sardonic, biting, cynical, caustic and gloomy for even my tastes, but he can be funny and I sure do like most of his musical output.

I'm a noob on Bitches Brew. I've owned it for almost a year now and I've yet to listen to more than one track (which I recall being impressed with). One of the hazards of having a music library as opposed to a collection. :)

9. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Fagen's quotes in interviews are about as reliable as Dylan's. You never know when he's just putting the interviewer on. Remember Bob's "Who's the greatest American poet today?" answer? "Smokey Robinson".

10. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

A very polarizing album.
    To paraphrase Louis Armstrong, "Man, if you have to ask what it is, you’ll never get it."

I get it, I dig it. Heck, I love it.
    I understand how some don't. Listening to it actually makes my wife angry.
    "That's not music!"
    I have the same reaction when she puts on Boston ...

mwb, supernaut and gregorya like this.
  11. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

Miles is laughing his head off....

supernaut likes this.
  12. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

A funk album?!?!

Sure, I've listened to Miles Davis way more than Steely Dan but this seems like a weird idea even if you don't like the album.

13. Somehow I'm not surprised that Mr Anal would criticize the album for not being "steady".

Tensilversaxes and supernaut like this.
  14. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I grew up listening to Steely Dan and loving them, and still do listen to Aja once in awhile. The other albums kind of sound stuck in their time.

Bitches Brew was an album I started taking out of the Library when I was 15, and was totally puzzled. I could not believe people considered it music. Still, I borrowed it about every two years. When I was 25, it snapped in. I loved it. It actually helped lead me into In a Silent Way. After Bitches Brew, through 1975, Miles music got very dense. I like all Miles music, but the later stuff in smaller doses. I still listen to In A Silent Way and Bitches Brew relatively frequently considering how many records I have.

supernaut likes this.
  15. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

Man, the Nighfly has trolled nearly every poster in this thread. Hard. Dude's probably sipping on a Tab somewhere and laughing his ass of.

BKphoto and gregorya like this.
  16. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

Might as well say "I hate Steely Dan because they were trying to play funk but got the wrong guys. They were TOO steady"

Sherman and Alternative4 like this.
  17. SF Georgie

SF Georgie Forum Resident

I've never seen Bitches Brew as a jazz funk album. It's more jazz rock. From interviews I've seen of Fagen, he often uses sarcasm. Think about how there is so much talk about Steely Dan not being real rock or real jazz. Fagen must laugh at what people think Steely Dan should be or were trying to be. Maybe Fagen found out that Miles Davis said something like that about them. There would have to be a source that the book used.

supernaut likes this.
  18. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Of course it's the total opposite of the somewhat sterile sounds mr. Fagen produces on his albums. I lóve most of the SD/DF-albums, but I need some late Tom Waits-album or other raw sounds after that.

19. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

The studio album Bitches Brew is one thing: yes, a little bit sloppy/jammy, but quite cool.

On the other hand, the live band from that time ('69/'70), featuring Chick Corea, Jack DeJohnette, Dave Holland, Airto, a few killer sax players, was, well, as Miles put: "they played like mother******s". See Bootleg Vol 2 & 3, Black Beauty, and Filmore East, March '70 for the evidence.

supernaut likes this.
  20. I was wondering how long it would take for someone to invoke racial matters... :rolleyes:

21. supernaut

supernaut Forum Resident

I appreciate Donald's honesty - but I don't agree with him at all - I enjoy his music though and listening to it maybe I can understand his opinion a bit

22. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Huh? What the hay! Bitches Brew was a natural progression from In a Silent Way . Great period for Miles-atmospheric interesting stuff.

23. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

This is almost exactly what I was thinking. I would hardly expect someone who is such a perfectionist in the studio, taking hours and hours over a single chord change to appreciate the "just follow my lead and play, Teo will edit it later" approach Miles took.

mwb and Rob Hughes like this.
  24. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Happen to like both Electric Miles [all Miles, really] and Steely Dan. Don't really care for Bitches Brew all that much but really like Pangea, On The Corner, Jack Johnson, Agartha. In any case, Fagen has long been the King of Snark. I suspect his feeling about Electric Miles are a lot more complicated than this single soundbite.

25. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

Bought Brew, sold Brew.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.