Donovan: Opinions?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Siegmund, Aug 26, 2013.

1. donohed

donohed Hope Joy Victory !

It's not the album set. It is actually a jig saw puzzle. I'm considering whether I should open it up, put it together, and glue it permanent. I learned, at the other puzzle I posted previously, that the puzzle glue, although dries clear on the front side, did leave heavy streaking that truly diminished the image. This one apparently an American Publishing, Waltham Mass., product; rare as it is, that other one was from the UK rave magazine ! Likely 1965, early 66 at the latest.

Bhobb and lemonade kid like this.
  2. donohed

after yet more work on my TT to get both channels sounding right, i first played the Italian Jennifer Juniper 45, then the 1981 Neutron. something about it made me think it may be a different take than the lp. to be compared. so i flipped it over, and it's The Heights Of Alma. midway through the song i find myself trying to match the attitude of the singing. then i'm thinking 'man, this guys voice was in the zone for this album'. more and more i'm acknowledging how seriously great a performance singing it is / was. i thought about how Eric Burdon's voice reached a real .... mature... resonance... quality for the 75, 76 Rudely Interrupted lp, and that they would have been around the same age for both of those albums. that maybe a singers voice peaks in his early 30's. whatever. then i remembered reading this post about Heights ! it didn't phase me last month, but i definitely heard what you were getting at today

Tribute likes this.
  3. hurdygurdygal

hurdygurdygal Forum Resident

I've been lowkey hooked on Neutronica as my go to for probably about a month. I don't love every track, but man the good ones are great! Heights of Alma and No Man's Land back to back never gets old.

Hep Alien and Tribute like this.
  4. hurdygurdygal

What Donovan is everyone listening to? Today needed some Live in Japan. I'm a sucker for live Donovan, I think it's a much more engaging experience than studio recordings and I love how he performs songs that sometimes never get a studio release. This album is a must have for Donovan fans in my opinion. The extra verse to Hurdy Gurdy Man, he gets a little wild with some old favorites, and this is the only album in my collection with "A Working Man" and "Tinker Tune," though it looks like they made it to the Try for the Sun box set. This album also has a simple art sleeve and a lyric poster.[​IMG]

Hep Alien and Tribute like this.
  5. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

My late uncle was in the Metropolitan Police (London) and was there when they busted Donovan. Was always a good story to hear! Often these pop stars had good lawyers that got them off drugs charges. He used to tell me many stories, ones which to my knowledge have never made the press.

6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Back then, the powers thought that they could suppress youth movements by arresting music stars. They did that for several decades until they realized the arrests only enhanced various youth movements. Finally, they decided to stop that effort and put all their efforts into increasing ethnic strife and the love of money over everything else. It was not the kind of love that Donovan had in mind.

hurdygurdygal likes this.
  7. hurdygurdygal

Didn't Pilcher get busted for planting evidence?
    Donovan is quite adamant that they had finished off what they had on them before the bust. He didn't exactly make a secret of his drug use :laugh:

Maranatha5585 likes this.
  8. Mellow Yellow is the album that I most like.

9. Hurree Jamset

Hurree Jamset Forum Resident

Listened to the Hurdy Gurdy Man LP yesterday. I think it is Jimmy Page and John Bonham on the title track. I know it is controversial, but it sounds like them to me. What a great album, my favorite of Donovan's many great ones.

10. hurdygurdygal

Both excellent albums!
    My favorite songs on Mellow Yellow are probably House of Jansch, Young Girl Blues, and Sunny South Kensington, though it's hard to pick.
    My favourites on Hurdy Gurdy Man are probably Hurdy Gurdy Man, Hi It's Been a Long Time, and The Sun is a Very Magic Fellow.

lou likes this.
  11. hurdygurdygal

Any love for this composite album? I likely would have changed a few of the tracks if I were putting Mellow Yellow and Sunshine Superman on one album, but it flows fairly well and makes a nice change of pace. I love this illustration, and it makes me wonder if this came before Donovan's tattoo or after. Does anyone know offhand?[​IMG] [​IMG]

Hep Alien likes this.
  12. hurdygurdygal

Today's Donovan. I have three different Fairy Tale covers, but I think this is my favorite because of the lack of color. This is a Canadian press, and has "Oh Deed I Do" instead of "Belated Forgiveness Plea" from the Hickory press, and my Taiwanese copy has "Oh Deed I Do" instead of "Universal Soldier." The track order is pretty significantly varied between the three, so I try to mix up which one I spin. [​IMG]

Tribute likes this.
  13. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

Donovan was still hugely popular as late as 1976, selling out venues. He sold out the Bottom Line on 4/10/76.. The performance is truly brilliant. He got the whole audience singing Happiness Runs with half singing the lalas and half singing "happiness runs, happiness runs."

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

His performances still sell well. It is just that he doesn't do many of them (even before the virus), as he prefers to focus on other things in life. He never had the burning desire to tour constantly, such as Bob Dylan (who also sells well).

15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

See a lot of post images removed.

16. JerryGarciaIsGod

JerryGarciaIsGod Active Member

care to share the story?

17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That is most often not due to the moderators of the forum. Most often, when an image is taken from the web, the image disappears if the web source modifies. In addition, some browsers do not see some images while others do.

It is hard to tell why specific images disppear. But older posts images tend to disappear. Our recent star poster also had many technical problems with posting that he ultimately resolved.

18. donohed

Everybody Is a Star

19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Is that an unreleased Donovan song?

20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

If it’s anything to do with autism, not me. I don’t post images.

21. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

I was doing a bit of online research on Harold McNair, who played flute and sax on many of Donovan’s classic recordings, and was rather surprised to find this:

Making me wonder who influenced who. Er, whom. :)

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

I also found this rather fine version of one of Donovan’s finest songs:

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I picked up a super clean copy of 7-Tease today for $4. One good thing about these later albums being underrated. I think this is a solid record for the most part despite the somewhat corny cover and album title. It has a nice range of Donovan styles on it, and doesn't sound far removed from his 60s albums.

24. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I love Donovan, but am stunned to see that he has inspired 90 pages of posts :eek:

25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Every album has at least one truly great piece on it. That alone is better than most artists achieve.