Donovan: Opinions?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Siegmund, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I believe your reference about not being a household name in his own household was to the Thompson marriage.

Donovan, on the other hand, has had a very strong marriage.

lemonade kid likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

New Shindig has Sly Stone on the cover.

Hep Alien likes this.
  3. alexpop

Linda Thompson discusses her marriage with Richard in the last issue of Record Collector ( not the new issue with Tom Jones ( chills and fever on the cover)

lemonade kid likes this.
  4. alexpop

What’s that 1977 (1980) RCA Donovan album ( daughter on back cover) L I k e ?

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

It wasn't. I don't know anything about his personal life.

6. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Can't say I blame him. The 60s albums are well known classics and the 70s albums nobody seems to care about aside from maybe Cosmic Wheels.

7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

He probably knows that many audience members will complain if he does not do his best known material. As nearly all performers do the same, I cannot fault Donovan.

lemonade kid and CheshireCat like this.
  8. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

I assume you mean this one from 1981:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can find most of the tracks on YouTube.

Personally, I found it a disappointment after 1980's excellent (and underrated) Neutronica, which I though was very much a return to form. Though I do like Half Moon Bay.

9. alexpop

Yes! I was unsure about the title / date.
    Though Donovan still looks the same as he did 10 / 15 years earlier.

10. vinylshadow

vinylshadow Forum Resident

I didn't know of Donovan but in college in 1981 I heard Hurdy Gurdy Man and that was it. I was hooked. Went right out and bought his Greatest Hits LP and was amazed. And that gatefold came with that cool booklet of pictures too.

When I heard Colours, the last line of the song made me scratch my collegiate head. Song starts off with-
    Yellow is the color of my true love's hair
    In the mornin', when we rise

And at the very end he says "Hello Jack Hello Bob".

lemonade kid and footlooseman like this.
  11. donohed

donohed Hope Joy Victory !

I attended a small party that He showed up to, in around ..... 92. Manchester. I do not remember if or how I broached the subject of the songs He played in concert. He said something to the effect of 'everyone wants to hear the hits though, right?. I remember actually grabbing His wrist! and saying that He 'shouldn't take that for granted ' ! He had an amazed look on His face (probably because I'd grabbed his wrist. Maybe I didnt; I don't know what I was thinking) but He wasn't offended. Later, leaving the backyard, along the side of the house, and I was not following the Guy around, I found myself walking either in front or behind Him, just us, and I said, in the pitch black of night, "your daughters are beautiful Don" (they both were there, and were both they fetching. Two of them)
    In the 70's He was playing His new stuff, and then those 81, 82 albums were featured live. It was fantastic to have seen 2 Sutras concerts, where He played some of those songs, but ESPECIALLY the Beat Cafe shows in nyc. With a band (Candy John on bongos ). I saw 5 or 7 of those concerts, and man they were great! Featuring His Contemporary music. With a great band.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Hep Alien, zobalob and lemonade kid like this.
  12. MidnightRocks

MidnightRocks Forum Resident

7-Tease has a special place in my heart, it's not exactly a great album but I think it has some fine songs on it. Some I find very touching. Partly because of the songs, partly because of when I first heard them.

When I met him at a post show signing a few years ago, I told him how much I liked the album. I used my one encounter with Don to mention 7-Tease. I'm sure that was novel for him. He started to chat a little bit about it but I was basically hauled off my security for talking to him for too long as the queue was building.

13. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Great stories, DH. Cheers to you.

14. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Spot on. I’m with you there.

lemonade kid likes this.
  15. donohed

[​IMG]
    record store hanging display

palisantrancho and lemonade kid like this.
  16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

In this thread, my observation is that it goes to sleep for an extended period, then every so often someone posts and then there is a flurry of posts for a good while, including newcomers.

So, to Donovan fans, all you have to do is post something every so often if it has been inactive.

Here is one I had not seen before

[​IMG]

17. donohed

[​IMG]
    autographed !

18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

20. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Telegram Sam and Hep Alien like this.
  21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

[​IMG]

zobalob likes this.
  23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Donovan and Jennifer Warnes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic Thread Starter

I'm sure I recall reading somewhere that the 'hellos' were to Ramblin' Jack Elliott and Bob Dylan.

lemonade kid and vinylshadow like this.
  25. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

The lyrics of "Colours" always amused me a little. For example, those two liness seem to imply that her hair is different colours at different times of the day, but in the morning it's yellow. :)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021