Don't Let This Happen To You!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Carl Hoffmann, Jul 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Carl,

This is awful.

I have 2 unused golds lying around in need of a home. Want 'em?

Bowie The Man Who Sold The World Ryko cutout
    MFSL Moody Blues Long Dist Voyager

The Bowie is sealed no less.

Free! Consider it a goodwill offering

PM your address & I'll get them to you.

Mike

2. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Carl, first of all I am sorry to hear about your discs. Secondly, did you keep your receipts from when you purchased your discs? If so, you may be able to at least claim for the purchase price. We all know that many of these discs go for much more now, but at least you will receive more than the normal $10 to $15 per disc.

3. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

I think Carl may not have had insurance (based on his first post).:(

Good luck at the used cd and pawn shops. Maybe they'll turn up and you can claim them.

4. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Carl,

I'm really sorry to read about this horrible experience you went through and are still dealing with. This really sucks! I know this is hard but try to find and look at the positive side of things. The important thing was that you weren't hurt and in time you'll be able to replace the stolen items. As my father has told me many times, life is full of mine fields. Sometimes we just step on a mine and in time we've got to heal and keep moving. Hopefully, we learn something from the experience and are also better prepared for the next one. I know this sucks but think of it like this. You have a lot more knowledge now than you did before when you purchased your original collection. Whatever you replace will have more choice and selection. I know this is a bitch but just try and stay positive. Don't be a victim if you can avoid it. Don't let that creep "change" you in a negative way. Instead of hating the person who did this to you, be glad that "you" are not him and you're better off as a person. I know this is all easier said than done but you'll move on from this with more experience...

Todd

5. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Carl,

I actually got a "pit" in my stomach when I read your posting! Of course, the ***** would take the Gold discs. Look in the used CD stores (Grant's experience). You will probably find some of your discs there. I know someone who experienced this and they recovered about 80% of their discs...of course, they had to buy them from the store but, they did successfully recover most of them.

Good luck!

Bob

6. akshobhyavajra

akshobhyavajra New Member

All the best with rebuilding your collection. I've had a few ex-girlfriends help themselves to a number of CDs over the years, but nothing on that scale.... but no B&E with that many CDs taken.....

7. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Back in '82, I had my entire rig ripped off. It was something else, lemme tell ya - the leftovers from my Quad days with CD-4, Qs and SQ capabilty. Strangely, the left all the lp's and speakers.

I didn't think so then, but I still have most of those lp's, and I guess iwas lucky.

8. Carl Hoffmann

Carl Hoffmann Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for their support and response. Turned 30 today and looking forward to perhaps a better decade in my life. It took about four days to get any appetite back, but things seem to be going down better the last few days. Retaining some perspective is key and hard work.

I now have $30,000 of replacement value renters insurance. So friggin' cheap!!! $115 a year. It helps feel better if the creeps does come back, but also adds salt to the wound knowing I should have had it in the first place at such a meager price.

Anyhow, I am indeed going to every store in the area. Also faxing and e-mailing my entire list to surrounding city stores. It's a shot in the dark......but who knows? I'll probably be doing bi-weekly runs to all stores for a long time. Eyes are COMPLETELY peeled!!!!

9. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

I'm sorry to hear of your robbery. My car was burglarized (in my driveway here deep in the suburbs) and about 100 of my favorite discs were stolen last year.

From experience, I suggest you get a copy of the police report and take it into or fax it to the used shops in your area along with your list of stuff that was stolen. Most of the shop owners I spoke with required the police report in order to even take me seriously.

FWIW, the owner of one of the bigger used shops in my area told me that he goes to court about once a month to testify against people who have tried to sell him stolen CD's. Usually they are caught once the shop owner receives said police report and list.

So you still have a chance if you act quickly!

Good luck (and BTW, I never got any of my stuff back, alas. I also lost a bunch of golds, several WAY out of print items, a batch of homemade CDR's and about a dozen silver pressed original bootlegs. Grrrrrrrrr...

10. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Happy Birthday Carl!!

Todd

11. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I hope you get your stuff back Carl! Be prepared to buy it back from the pawn shop guy, though... that's what happened to a friend of mine with his camera!

Take a gander at this thread in the Hardware section. You inspired me, Carl!

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5260

And Happy Birthday! Hope you get what you wish for..... :) I think we all know what that is! :D

12. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I'm sorry for your loss. About a decade ago, a friend of my sister's was car jacked, and he had a collection of prerecorded cassettes in the back seat. His car showed up a few days later in a police impound lot after it was used to commit an armed robbery and then abandoned. His stereo was gone, but the thieves only took three of his 50 or so tapes. They stole his car and then effectively questioned his taste in music. Talk about your insult to injury!

Regards,

13. Dawson

Dawson New Member

Take it all but leave my music!

I've developed a large and amazingly eccentric collection over the years, one that I consider almost as precious as my own kids. My thought (and prayer) to the goddess of music has always been that if somebody got to my house, by all means take the tv, take the playstation, go thru the drawers for whatever looks nice...but leave the music. Heck, take the stereo too, my heart would be broken but I could slap together a new one. Take the car when you leave....just leave the music. The only thing in my favor is the nature of the collection, oddball British Invasion stuff, tons of old country and bluegrass. The kind of stuff that would stand out at your local shop or flea market. Another thing that might work in my favor is my completely disjointed way of organizing it all, at best they'd be able to grab a box or two before they'd start to get itchy feet to run. Funny thing, in all my years of collecting, I've never had the time or spare funds to spend on proper storage and display units. It's always been "do I buy the storage unit or buy the Bear Family box set and a few more boxes?". The boxset always seems to win out.

Highest condolences on your loss and may the goddess of music be kind in your quest.

Best!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.