Don't "upgrade" to Catalina if you have a large iTunes library

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by pathosdrama, Oct 8, 2019.

1. SeanRichard

SeanRichard Forum Resident

Has anyone found a way in the new app to show status of the current activity (i.e. updating Genius or downloading songs)?

2. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident Thread Starter

I could, but I'd need to reinstall Mojave. Not worth the pain, I suppose they'll sort it out at sone point. If not, I'll use some third party software and goodbye Apple for anything concerning music.

Guillaume Bougard likes this.
  3. tomjonze

tomjonze Well-Known Member

what is better software? I feel like this is the first time I've been on a date after being married (to iTunes) for the last 17 years....

Guillaume Bougard likes this.
  4. canyelles

canyelles Forum Resident

I was able to restore iTunes from a time machine backup. However, catalina will not let you run it.

There is probably some clever, complicated way of getting it to run but I am not going to try, I am just going to stick with mojave on my music server

MadMelMon likes this.
  5. tomjonze

tomjonze Well-Known Member

I have questions:

I updated to catalina. I regret it because it's a lagfest. I keep getting notes that the app data is all taken and I have to close stuff. I think this is all related to music trying to upload the album art (which it's not doing, very well at least).
    How do I check about using time machine? Do i need to? I looked at my backup and it appears the files haven't been modified since before the update. Actually on both externals the files say "last modified" on the 1st (i updated the 7th.)

I have a call with apple itself scheduled in a few hours to ask them what they think but if anyone here has ideas i'm interested. thanks!

6. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Have you gone into the editor? The control of your data is robust to say the least. Perhaps you have ''Roon data" clicked as priority? Just click it to ''file priority" not sure if I have the exact naming here would have to look but something along those lines. I have hundreds of bootlegs and they are all fine. Yeah there's a hiccup here and there but I don't believe there is a software under the sun that gets it all 100 percent. And now I want to hear Monkberry Moon Delight really loud because of you LoL

7. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

The reason is to offer an iOS-like interface that caters to streaming and “renting” music in the cloud rather than owned music libraries. And like you say, to push people in that direction if they’re clinging to the old iTunes-as-database-of-local-files model. Very much in the mode of removing the headphone jack from iPhones if you’re still a loser who declines all Bluetooth all the time.

A long Catalina review at MacStories summed it up nicely: “Although much of the legacy functionality of iTunes has been preserved in Music, the elimination of Column Browser reflects a general shift away from a personally-curated library of music.”

Rasseru, sunspot42 and MadMelMon like this.
  8. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I’ve got a 4TB library of my own CDs and vinyl rips and upgraded. There is a huge amount of wasted white space now, my preferred view is Album View and where I used to be able to move across the albums with the arrow keys and see the contents there is now a lag and it displays each album in a new window. I haven’t tried editing the tags on multiple tracks yet, but with the elimination of column view and the vast amount of empty space it will definitely be a challenge.

I’m also not happy about the way sync works; playlists are are still in music, but you have to go to a separate finder window to sync and it’s unclear where it is in the process as the status is only represented by a tiny circle with no text.

The upgrade of my iTunes database took several hours, with most of that time spent waiting for it to read the embedded artwork from the files, with no clear idea where it was in that process. It also reset my library location from the external server to the local music folder; I can switch it back but that might cause iTunes to touch all of the files and trigger a full cloud backup of the server due to the files appearing to be modified.

I have a full backup from right before I upgraded, but I am seeing a performance improvement on my maxed-out 2013 iMac. I’ll probably suffer through it and hope the issues are fixed.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    Stone Turntable likes this.
  9. Excellent tip. I have been using JRiver as my primary music manager ever since Pono was a thing, but had never really explored the different view options.

But you are correct, JRiver supports the column browser and I was able to replicate exactly how I had iTunes set up; Genre/Artist/Album.

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  10. aZOD

aZOD Well-Known Member

Joined the forum to add a few of the other issues. In addition to the Column View problem, these are some of the issues for me:

1. Search is horrible. Cannot search within playlists, for instance. No showing the number of songs (bottom status bar info) when you click on “see all”, etc. No way to organize results by date, title, last played, etc.

2. No artwork showing when viewing as “Songs” and no way to get it to show (used to have the “always show artwork” option).

3. All Column categories have been reset (when you are viewing by Songs) and you have to redo every single playlist.

4. No status bar showing progress on downloads, what is actually syncing, etc (just a tiny pie slice circle on the finder sidebar that has literally no information).

I'm sure I will discover other issues, but that's just within a few hours of use today.

Skeje, enro99 and mr. suit like this.
  11. I found Swinsian and it does most of what I need, except interacting with my phone or other device. I still have to use Apple's app to fill up my phone with music.

And guess what? Those who thought iTunes was a crappy app will think this new app is crappier still. Dumbed down to the max, slow, it is the worst version ever.

enro99 likes this.
  12. I tried yesterday. DOES NOT WORK
    Apple is getting on my nerves and I'm seriously looking for other solutions from now on. their phones are not the very best, their computers don't even have decent keyboards, iCould is even worse than Google drive and can't compete with Mega or Dropbox, pfff...

13. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

iVolume does NOT work on Catalina and no compatible-version is foreseen!!!!

a big, Big, BIG deal breaker for me

14. oh, and they freaking changed ALL the artwork!!! Even for mainstream albums like Bob Marley's KAYA, I now have an ugly picture of Bob that has NOTHING to do with the KAYA album.

They say they use AI but I think they meant artificial imbecility and not intelligence

sunspot42 likes this.
  15. If you have Parallels or similar virtualization software, you could run the Windows version of iTunes.

sunspot42 likes this.
  16. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

Perhaps. Here’s the one I posted earlier that someone else had started. I ran across this on Twitter, but as you can see, not a whole lotta love with only 39 sigs at this particular moment.

Sign the Petition

While I signed that one, I also went directly to Apple’s Feedback page and made my opinion very clear.

Really sorry to hear about your artwork changes. That would drive me over the edge after the time I’ve put into myself.

tomjonze likes this.
  17. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Above all, do not mess with the artwork Apple. I’m still upset about the time I turned on library sync and it wiped out hundreds of album covers that I had carefully located and manually added.

18. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

I don’t know if anyone else does this, but I’m trying to be better at putting the image I use for an album in the album folder along with the songs. Even if the image comes with the album (like a download from Amazon), I’ll open the song info for one of the songs in iTunes and drag the cover into the album folder.

That way, if something goofy does happen for any reason (upgrade related or not), it’s easy to add the cover image since I’ll have it locally, rather than trying to find the best version online.

I know I’ll be getting a new computer soon, so in preparation, I’m slowly going through each album I have in iTunes (2,222 it turns out) and either confirming I already have the artwork locally, or drag it over if I don’t. Once I’ve gone through all the albums, keeping up with each new album I get will be simple enough to do.

Atmospheric, wellers73 and btltez like this.
  19. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

Me too! Far superior to Apple’s normalization algorithm. Did you contact the developer? I did and have not heard back. Are there any alternatives for the Mac?

20. And guess what? The metadata has been changed on my freaking phone.

On itunes, I created genres like Funk 80, or Dub, etc... to navigate my 40K tracks more easily. Now some of these genres are replaced by World
    Some artists names have been changed too: Bob Marley becomes Bob Marley & The Wailers
    And while we're at it, some album names have been modified: Uprising becomes Uprising remaster edition or something like this.

And I made sure to check ONLY the Downloaded music on my iphone audio library. Also, I have never used the sync function on itunes or apple music when connecting my iphone or ipod. NEVER.

To top it off, with the new Music app, you can't edit metadata in the songs that are on your phone any more, which was possible with iTunes )although they had made it increasingly arduous in recent versions)

And of course I have no proof.

Drives me up the wall

The alternative is iMazing. Works OK, but it is so sloooooooooooow

21. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I stopped updating my late-2012 Mini's OS at High Sierra. 5 OS' after a product launch and things don't seem to go well as the hardware's not usually up to snuff. I only use it in my audio system to stream CD rips and needle-drops throughout the house.

Sorry to hear you all are having issues. Frustrating for sure.

mr. suit likes this.
  22. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Very true but that comes with the territory.

I run it on win / Mac / Linux all so I can live with those quirks.

23. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

All the big players have moved to cloud solutions.

Still need to mess with this - upgraded last night on my mbp.

24. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

He is receiving emails from thousands of people and he is not answering anybody. Also, no valid alternative I know about...:shake:

ZenArcher likes this.