Doors - "The Singles" 2 CD, 2 CD + Blu-Ray, & 7" Vinyl Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I suppose we don't know what mixes were done first but since the Touch Me 45, Wishful Sinful 45 and Tell All The People 45 all came out before the LP, and Touch Me and Wishful Sinful came out months before the LP, I think it's much more likely that the single mixes were done first. Otherwise they must have done a stereo mix of Touch Me, decided that it would go on an as-yet unrecorded album, then decided to issue it as a single then remixed it for the 45. It is surely far, far more likely that they decided to issue it as an a-side, along with Wild Child, mixed both of them in stereo and Touch Me (at least) in mono, and released the single then revisited the stereo mix of Touch Me and Wishful Sinful when compiling the LP.

Flynbryan, Hep Alien and anastasios like this.
  2. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I don't have the QUAD BluRay (I have the QUAD SACD), but are you referring to the 'raspiness' of the keyboards on Riders on the Storm? Hasn't that slight distortion been present since the original analog release?

3. Kubricker

Kubricker Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow…

That made my head spin.

RAZORMADE, quicksrt, rxcory and 4 others like this.
  4. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Perhaps it has. I never had the original analog release. Whatever it is I don't like it as the keyboards on that track sound harsh to me. Otherwise no complaints and I love the Blu Ray and the main CDs.

stereoptic likes this.
  5. Danderpet

Danderpet Forum Resident

I just ordered the 3 disc set, convinced by some posts on this thread. It was tough to not spring for the 45rpm vinyl box, but already have the Doors catalog on vinyl and the perception box.

Flynbryan and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. The AP SACD Box set is stunning too.

Captain Rogers, Galley and SOONERFAN like this.
  7. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

If you have a surround setup you will enjoy the quad mix.

8. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

How do they compare to the DCC/AF versions?

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  9. I don’t have the DCC versions. The AF Best of the Doors SACD is a sonic masterpiece. For the individual albums in high resolution the AP Box is definitive for each individual album in every instance. These are not the 40th anniversary remixes either, they are the original. For the 40th iteration I have the original Perception box on DVD-A. The redbook discs in that box are HDCD encoded, if that’s if interest to you.

I know this is off topic, I have the AF redbook Soft Parade and really like it, I never picked up Morrison Hotel and the three versions have made it difficult to ascertain which version I’m buying when I search eBay. According to Discogs the version I’m seeking is “AFZ 037-2“ that’s the third and final corrected version.
    Is this only identifiable by looking at the disc or is that also on the slipcase?

SOONERFAN likes this.
  10. murch

murch Forum Resident

The AP sacds of the original albums are very good but it seems to me the consensus is that a few of the DCC's still beat them, even at 44 16. For me personally, the debut album on dcc has yet to be topped.

The recent 50th of waiting for the Sun in high res is arguably better that the AP because of the Plangent processing involved. But to each their own....

11. David del Toro

David del Toro Forum Resident

Plangent Processing?

12. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

13. There's already several separate threads discussing that very comparison. A quick search should pull them up.

Bill Mac and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Did Rhino send you a correct version replacement on this Wishful Sinful stereo mix or you found one on Ebay or another place? Thanks.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Six Bachelors

I received a lossless file of the correct mix, with a confident assurance that there was not going to be a reprint containing the correct version.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

So if I order the 45rpm 7" vinyl box set, I would need to contact Dr. Rhino for the lossless file of Wishful Sinful's correct mix?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

Nope.
    Grab it here:
    Box

RiRiIII, Platterpus, anth67 and 16 others like this.
  18. Six Bachelors

Ahhh. I had no idea they had made it public. Nice.

This mix is so much more impressive than the LP version.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

why is that?

20. Six Bachelors

To my tastes the centered rhythm section gives the song power and drive that it lacks in the LP mix. It is a very syrupy song and I think the power balances out the sweetness. Same for the Touch Me stereo single mix compared with the LP mix.

21. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

The 2xCD/1xBlu-Ray Audio is currently $13.31 on Amazon (US).

22. The Blu-ray really does sound great. Originally I picked up the 2-CD set and later corrected my mistake by picking up the Blu-ray package as well.

23. Edmoney

Edmoney Forum Resident

I haven't really been following this thread (and just bought this set last week), but I've read/recall discussion about other mixes on the set possibly being incorrect or missing. Are the two that you listed the only ones that have been confirmed to be wrong? For the other ones that have been discussed, is it still inconclusive or have some of them been confirmed to be correct after all?

Flynbryan and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. Six Bachelors

I just did a long post that somehow didn't save. In short:
    - Wishful Sinful is the only incorrect mix, included by accident. @Steel Woole posted a link to a transfer of the tape of the correct stereo mix.
    - I'm not aware of any other incorrect mixes.
    - Love Street mono was not included but came out soon afterwards on a 45 as a tie-in with the WFTS 50th (as I recall), which was typical Doors nonsense, trying to make us buy something else.
    - I think it is missing one or two mono reductions/edits from Full Circle 45s.

It's a really good set and the irony of the error is that we good an unused, vintage stereo mix of Wishful Sinful, something we'd never have been given otherwise if they hadn't make the error.

anth67, avp2029, Hep Alien and 10 others like this.
  25. Edmoney

Edmoney Forum Resident

Thanks, but I thought there were potentially more that were at least discussed as possibilities. Doing a quick search within this thread, I found that back in 2017 there was some discussion about the mono version of "Roadhouse Blues" and the mono radio version of "Touch Me" being incorrect. I didn't follow the discussion further to see what the verdicts were on those or if any other issues were raised (this is a very long thread). But since that was back in 2017, maybe it's long been confirmed that those may not have been issues after all?

Otherwise, I agree that's it's a very good set. The idea is a good one, it seems comprehensive, and it sounds very good.