Doris Day, RIP (April 3, 1922 - May 13, 2019)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, May 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smallworld

smallworld Forum Resident

In her autobiography, Rage to Survive, Etta James mentions a visit to Sly Stone, who, James assures us, was seeing Doris Day at the time (early 1970s).

chacha likes this.
  2. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Alrighty then. Truly Bizarre. When Googled there are many blogs/posts that say it didn’t happen.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  3. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

4. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Clapton's tribute to Doris Day....2 nights ago at the Royal Albert hall

Can't find complete clip, sorry.

Steve Litos likes this.
  5. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Sad news indeed.
    It was great she finally got to live a happy ending after so much tragedy during her successful years.
    One of my all time favorite singer/performer/actress/personalities.
    She really was a star that usually doesn't get a mention to the likes of Judy Garland.
    Personally, I think Doris topped them all.
    She made some wonderful films and wonderful recordings.
    True Legend.
    I loved her very much, and always will.

bluemooze likes this.
  6. I see a lot of love for her album "Duet" here. Which is the best version of it?

There seems to be a recent cheapo CD in mono from Hallmark and two different stereo CDs, one with better artwork from Legacy in 2017 (?) and another from 2000 (?). I think there might even be another. I want it on CD but I'm confused and would like the best option.

Greenalishi likes this.
  7. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I have this older (looks like it's from the 90s) European CD [SONY, Columbia COL 496858 2 / STEREO]:

https://www.discogs.com/Doris-Day-And-André-Previn-With-The-André-Previn-Trio-Duet/release/3476119

Sounds much more natural than the same material on the Bear Family box which has the tracks in session (master #) order, is slightly thinner sounding and has some NR applied. The box includes 5 outtakes which are also found on the Collectables CD re-issue of the album - possibly using the same mastering as the box.

There's a momentary glitch in the left channel after the first couple of lines of "Nobody's Heart" on the European CD but otherwise the fidelity is excellent. My guess is that this is on the master since it sounds like it has been 'repaired' on the box set (there's a little blip left behind in the same place).

This 3CD compilation seems to use the same mastering as the 90s CD (glitch included) for all the tracks from this album (split over discs 1 and disc 3) - not the best compilation but a cheap way to get the DUET tracks mastered well (unlike some of the rest of that comp).

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    SteveM, bluemooze and Greenalishi like this.
  8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I am saddened by this news. Doris Day was an excellent singer and actress. R.I.P. Doris Day, thanks for making this world a better place, and giving the world a smile when your music was played. Sadly missed!!!

bluemooze and Greenalishi like this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

She died again? Once was bad enough.

Sean, lightbulb, DK Pete and 6 others like this.
  10. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I just love when people resurrect RIP threads...

11. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Well, I didn't know this news. I thought that she had died long time ago.

12. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

It was about a year ago.

13. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Collectables were given the mastered disc directly from Sony ,

14. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Avoid the public domain Hallmark cheapy at all costs! I've bought a few of those and they've sounded horrible. Like MP3 at it's worst. The first two I got were just listenable (two Shirelles albums), the last was appalling (Carla Thomas - Gee Whiz) and went straight in the bin.

15. Thanks for your reply.

How else can you get the mono on CD? Can you please provide a link to a good stereo version? It's confusing because there are people on Amazon who say it hadn't been released on CD prior to Hallmark but there is an expensive Japanese stereo copy predating this and apparently an early 90s one too. I think I've seen either a reissue or a new "old stock" for sale online but typically scant details about what the sellers are actually selling!

Thank you!

PS - apologies for resurrecting this thread but it's apparent that people have been openly discussing these albums in this thread which came up when I did a search for the album. Unfortunately I couldn't find any others as Doris Day doesn't get many threads here, sadly.

Anyway, I hadn't realised she'd passed on so somewhat belatedly, R.I.P. Doris. You were definitely one of a kind.

16. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I don’t know about DUET specifically but it wouldn’t be the only instance of the SONY/Collectables CD matching the Bear Family release of the same material - eg The 1960s Singles compilation (also matches for the bonus tracks).

phillyal1 likes this.
  17. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Are the bonus tracks worth the higher price?

18. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

“Obviously”, “Naturally”, “Definitely!”

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  19. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Thanks. Found a collectables version that wasn't too outrageous.

20. Can you please post a link to the release you're talking about?

21. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

OMG, LOL!!!!! but I'm going to come clean here...when I spotted this thread yesterday, I was so out of it (had been a very long day), I not only thought it was a new thread, I had *totally* forgotten she had died last year! So in thinking we just lost her, I went ahead and posted something as if she had just died. Of course I deleted it upon discovering what an idiot I'd been :doh:

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  22. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

SteveM likes this.
  23. She lived a long life. She was probably surrounded by people who loved her. R.I.P.

Jarleboy likes this.
  24. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

And her many adopted animals she nurtured and took care of...

Jarleboy likes this.
  25. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Stop bumping this, she's been friggin' dead for a while already!

Paul J and Rick Bartlett like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.