Doris Day, RIP (April 3, 1922 - May 13, 2019)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, May 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Great actress, truly great, great singer. Did lots of great duets too -- this one with Sinatra!

Hardy Melville, Bob F and Greenalishi like this.
  2. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

I only know this one because it's from one of the few DD movies I saw
    in a theater.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  3. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

R.I.P. Doris Day :love::sigh::cry:
    Love that she was such an animal advocate!! :hugs:
    Favorite films...the romantic comedy's; esp. Send Me No Flowers & The Thrill Of It All.
    Another favorite comedy:

Greenalishi likes this.
  4. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

"Move Over, Darling", also with James Garner, was one of my favorite Doris Day movies. Recently saw "Midnight Lace", with Rex Harrison, and it was quite good. She was great in "Young Man With A Horn", with Kirk Douglas (and he's still alive!)

RIP Ms. Day

Greenalishi likes this.
  5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Confession time...

I've never seen a Doris Day film.

6. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

A wonderful lady and performer, both in front of a camera and behind a microphone. As a boy, I watched the Doris Day with no awareness of her extensive career; that show turned out to be her last acting role. Since then, I've seen and heard much of her work. For the last few years, I've been rooting for her to reach 100 and am sad to see her credits roll.

Years later, when I saw "The Glass Bottom Boat", I was pleased to recognize the boat from a childhood excursion.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  7. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Day died on May 13, 2019, after contracting pneumonia. Her death was announced by her charity, the Doris Day Animal Foundation. According to the Foundation, Day was "in excellent physical health for her age, until recently contracting a serious case of pneumonia". The Foundation also announced that Day made it clear that there would be no funeral, memorial service or grave marker.

8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Remarkably humble for such a star.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

97! wow...Rest In Peace...

10. bktouchstone

bktouchstone Forum Resident

Even though she has kept herself out of the public eye for many years, it was somehow always comforting to know she was still among us. Thanks for your great work, Doris. One of my favorite movies is “That Touch of Mink.” Her drunken scene where she asks Cary Grant something like “Do you like the way I walk? I learned when I was a baby...” makes me laugh every time. I hope she knew how much good she did before she left. Rest In Peace.

11. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

Great blog post!

12. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

Go for Calamity Jane to start!

She's having such a great time in the movie!

Man at C&A likes this.
  13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'll look out for them on TV over the next few weeks. I'd like to see Love Me Or Leave Me and The Man Who Knew Too Much. I'll try and catch any they show.

14. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Very sad news. RIP.

15. FillmoreGuy

FillmoreGuy Forum Resident

Good for a rainy afternoon (which you get plenty of in the UK). Just kick back preferably with a partner and
    relax.

Man at C&A likes this.
  16. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

The tabloids were running some garbage about her a few months ago. I hope there isn't family squabbling over the estate in the months to come.

17. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

If you own Steve Beresford's 'Eleven Songs For Doris Day' album, now would be a good time to play it. If you don't, now would be a good time to buy one.

johnnyyen likes this.
  18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I can't claim to have been a fan of her movies/music, but I'll mourn the loss of anyone who worked as hard to help animals as she did.

I'm gonna donate to her foundation, as I suspect that's the kind of tribute she would've most liked - here's the link if anyone else wants to do so as well:

Home

19. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

The Doris Day Show complete is available on Hulu. Starting with the second season of the show, it proves that what all the TV historians say about "Mary Tyler Moore being the first career woman on TV" is somewhat of a misnomer.

20. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

John Lennon was a fan of Doris Day. He spoke about her glowingly during the Let It Be sessions as well as mentioning her in "Dig It" on the Get Back/Let It Be albums....

Hardy Melville and ParloFax like this.
  21. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

R.I.P Doris :cry:

22. Mike24137

Mike24137 Mike

I loved her movies, her television show, her music and her animal foundation. I also admired how she stood with Rock when others would only do so in private. She was total class.

23. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Great classic lady. RIP.

24. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

This Christmas when I play her album like I always do, there will be a new level of poignancy to go along with lovely nostalgia. RIP beautiful lady.

Get2Me, gpalz, mmars982 and 1 other person like this.
  25. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.