Do's and don'ts with new Audio Note UK OTO integrated amplifier*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tifoso48, Jun 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tifoso48

tifoso48 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Very excited about the imminent arrival of my new Audionote OTO - ( hopefully tomorrow or Friday).

Opinions about "breaking in" range from the sublime to the ridiculous.

I would very much appreciate some solid, common sense recommendations based on your practical experience with tube amps, as to get the most out of the experience and hopefully for a long time to come.

Thanks

2. Neiro

Neiro Forum Resident

Congrats you are going to love it. Don't get too hung up on 'break in'. Likely it will sound great from the start, yes it will open up and refine but this just takes time. Just play more music, it will all sound great! Enjoy.

Encore, Tullman and timind like this.
  3. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Plugin, let it warm a little-then enjoy one of the most musical amps out there!:drool::righton:

jonwoody likes this.
  4. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Based on what I know about the company and this integrated, plus my experience with tube amps, I'd suggest sticking with the stock tubes for a long while, maybe their full lifespan.

I would focus on trying the the appropriate and next lower ohm output taps. For example, if you have a nominal 6 Ohm speaker, try the 4 Ohm tap for a while, then switch back to 8.

I would also work and rework you speaker placement. I think if you develop super solid opinions about those two decisions, then you'll be in a good position to listen to alternate tubes.

jusbe, RH67 and Shiver like this.
  5. dchang81

dchang81 Forum Resident

I'm super jealous, I really wanted an oto with el84's. I'd say just enjoy it, and don't sweat tweaking stuff right off the bat.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  6. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

OMG, congrats on the purchase, I bet it'll sound sublime and fantastic. As has been said, play and enjoy. Maybe things will change in the first 50 hours or something, but you'll also be getting used to the new sound. I assume your speakers are a good match, and setup properly for the great soundstage and musicality the thing is capable of (assuming all the reviews are correct).

PS: I see it uses EL84s in single ended mode (or something). I had a super-poor-man's EL84 amp (Dynaco SCA-35) as my first tube amp in the mid-90s, it was a great sounding little amp, which I used for many years as my main amp (and did LOTS of tweaking/upgrading/simplifying on). Finally I had all the tubes hooked up as triodes, the sonics were great. I lusted after the OTO at the time, it still would be a fantastic 'end of the upgrade merry-go-round' product. Enjoy!

googlymoogly likes this.
  7. tifoso48

The speakers arrived about 4 weeks ago - I purchased a slightly used set of AN-E Lx - Signature in a beautiful polished burl - and I hope that will be a good match, as they apparantly quite efficient and with 6 ohm impedence?

jonwoody and Rick58 like this.
  8. dchang81

dchang81 Forum Resident

Even more jealous now

Rick58 likes this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

1. Will sound better and better as the weeks go on.
    2. Don't bother tube rolling. I did and ended up exactly where I started, with the stock tubes.
    3. Have fun.

10. Acapella48

Acapella48 Forum Resident

Congratulations!

OTO Phono SE Sig owner here. What SH says. Bedding-in period is 100 hrs., and that's just the recommended period.

Play some music, don't just turn the unit on. The circuitry needs a signal to go through it.

AN gear in general sounds good right out of the box but the sound will evolve and mature over time. All AN electronics benefit from a 30 minute warm-up to stabilize after the bedding-in period.

I've always followed my AN dealer's advice: When you first setup, place a CD on and listen. Preferably let a CD play on repeat at low volume for the first 24-36 hrs. Up to you.

Enjoy!

11. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

12. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Congrats on your new Oto and AN-E's great combo! As others have said don't worry about break in just listen and enjoy! :cheers:

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  13. Donivey

Donivey Forum Resident

I think Peter Q. has suggested using the 8 ohm tap. Works for me.

14. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

The 4 ohm tap is a preference issue - give them both a try and see. The OTO was measured by Hi-Fi Choice as being 4.2 watts per channel undistorted. Distortion steadily increases with power after that.

So if you are playing higher volumes with bass heavy music - the 4 ohm tap will provide more drive especially if your E is not the HE version.

15. Steve Hoffman

But it sounds a lot more compressed. Irony.

16. Three quid

Three quid Chief Eggplant

Yep, compressed and the soundstage flattens considerably using the 4ohm taps on my Oto se sig

17. Steve Hoffman

Use the 8 tap.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. siebrand

siebrand music lover

this brand represents a myth, a dream or, at least, a desire of many audiophilers.
    To me ... intriguing, I heard him play at a fair (what a good time when there were HiFi fairs ...) and I remember a great sound.
    Sweet, soft, the voices were simply fantastic, all the stringed instruments too.
    With the Brass, especially the trumpet, I thought, then, that it was too little metallic, perhaps too sweet, but it may be that this memories of mine are bad.

But ... something that I always wanted to learn more about, without succeeding: how do these jewels play with rock?
    12 Watt ... it's not that they are many, I assume it will need in any case very, very, very efficient speakers. Or am I wrong?

19. tifoso48

A great big " Thank You" to everyone for your support, kind comments and truly helpful advise - everything that I hoped it would be.

I am now fully set to go waiting for " the Eagle to land "- latest ETA tomorrow Friday between 12 - 18.00 hours.

I think I will focus on enjoying the journey as much as the final destination. A big "aha moment was the conversation on which ohm tap to use - truthfully, I had not even considered that conundrum. I will go with 8 for the foreseeable future, but then will experiment with 4 and see how that works out.

I love vinyl records and I am very eager to hear the phono stage within the OTO which has received positive comments from many reviewers.

Thanks again for your willingness to share your experience and knowledge.

20. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I’d say at least efficient ... >90dB or even 88dB should do. Of course volume will be limited. As the verys come in that will be less of a concern.

My Tituses are ... 87? or so, I listen in the near field ~7’ away using 8W max ... more than enough for me even with hard rock. My room was 14’ x 23’ x 10’ ...

IIUC the AN speakers are designed or like to be in corners or at least near the back wall to get some reinforcement. That plus the 92dB measured sensitivity makes it a likely great match with the ... 10-12W OTO.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  21. Mulroydave

Mulroydave Forum Resident

I’m sure you will enjoy your Oto, I certainly love mine! The phono stage is superb, I’ve never enjoyed vinyl as much as I do with Oto.

jonwoody likes this.
  22. tifoso48

Just wanted to provide a quick update.

The OTO arrived right on time on Friday and it was very enjoyable installing it in its new home, an operation that went without a hitch.

As suggested, it appears it is a match made in heaven between the OTO and the AN-E LX Signature, and it sounds quite wonderful right out of the box.

I am using a Clearaudio Concept TT with a Virtuoso MM cartridge and that seems to also work very nicely with the phono stage in the OTO.

Net, net - couldn't be more happy and of course I had to run out and get some new high quality LP's for the occasion - love my new Bob Marley "legend" with the multicolor vinyl and also very fond of the Audiophile recordings of " Who's Next and London Calling".

The journey has begun and I shall be enjoying every day of it.

Again, a big " Thank You" to all of you.

MikeT., jonwoody, jusbe and 5 others like this.
  23. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

yes, the OTO and LX Lexus Signatures will be a stunning combo.

you can try both but i always recommend using the 8ohm tap.

don’t worry to much about the break in. it will sound great out of the box. but the more hours you get on it you will hear it open up, it will
    become more effortless, bass will fill
    in tighten up and go lower. typically, it takes 200 hours to be fully settled in.

enjoy!

edit: sorry, i didn’t realize you received it! :)

jonwoody, Richard Austen and Rick58 like this.
  24. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Who's Next THE all time best studio rock album IMHO. Yessongs the best live rock album. OK there may be a few overdubs/additions/sweetening on that one?

25. Groovesick

Groovesick Forum Resident

Congrats on your new OTO! I still own an older signature version, which I loved and will probably never sell. did you get the Signature version or the regular OTO?

Richard Austen and Rick58 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.