Down With The Brown: A Ween Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mollusk, Feb 10, 2021.

1. edbert

edbert Forum Resident

They should do a couple tunes from the solo projects... How about Golden Monkey and Fingerbangin'?

2. Mollusk

Mollusk I AM THE STALLION Thread Starter

That'd definitely be fun. Maybe stay away from Covert Discretion, though...

3. WaltDon

WaltDon Forum Resident

Quebec is still my favorite. Does anyone have any insight on their current relationship? Could they get to a place and record again as Ween? The Freeman LP was amazing.

jumpinjulian and Mollusk like this.
  4. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I always thought that as well. One of their managerial team, Pat Frey, used to post a lot to a Richard Thompson email list I was on 20+ years ago, so Gene and Dean definitely would have had him on their musical radar.

Mollusk likes this.
  5. Mollusk

They're back and pretty damn close from all i've heard. There's been whispers and rumors of a new record, but that's all just a grain of salt yknow?

6. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I was there, the most recent show I’ve seen out of 17 to date (2 more on tap in October). I first heard them when Push th’ Little Dasies got radio play, but didn’t really get into them until ‘95 when a co-worker played C&C a lot. Stupidly it took another 5 years until I saw them live - I wasn’t convinced they’d be a good live band. Boy was I off the mark. After that first time (on the White Pepper tour), I’ve gone to see them every time I could. Usually here in the Bay Area, but we had a Europe trip that coincided with their shows there during the La Cucaracha touring, so my wife and I caught them in Paris and Amsterdam, and I went to Colorado for the reunion gigs in 2016.

Crosseyed, Mollusk and jumpinjulian like this.
  7. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

Ween is a rare, infected live beast and they have yet to disappoint me...

They also have one of the finest drummers EVER in Claude Coleman Jr.

"You're F@#kin with The Stallion, mang"

8. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

at my current thoughtless moment, I decided that I needed to like this post, but I'm not exactly sure why, to tell you the truth

the post which followed was correct......presumptuous of you to assume Ween fans yada yada yada :laugh:

youngchoulin and Mollusk like this.
  9. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Watched the Facebook stream from Australia!
    My 2yo son’s first Ween stream. He loved it.
    After Gold Eel he was clapping excitedly and yelled ‘Yay Ween! Yay Ween!’.
    It’s so great to have them back. One day when this COVID stuff passed I’ll be back on a plane to the USA to see them again!

youngchoulin, Mollusk and Crispy Rob like this.
  10. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Claude is THE MAN. His skill and stamina is unbelievable. In 2017 I saw him play a 2 and a half hour Ween set followed immediately by another 3 hours with Mike Dillion.
    This was in the middle of a 3 night run in Denver!

Scope J and Mollusk like this.
  11. Mollusk

Claude's an absolute ****ing demon on the drums. I don't think Ween could have a better drummer. The whole crew is terribly underrated.

12. Mollusk

Sunday's show is up on youtube! Can't link ATM but look for the one posted by Streamus!

jumpinjulian likes this.
  13. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Is this it?

Mollusk likes this.
  14. Mollusk

Nah that's Saturdays, and it's incomplete.

15. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

:doh:

Mollusk likes this.
  16. Mollusk

Lemme take a "bathroom break" ;) and grab the link

jumpinjulian likes this.
  17. Mollusk

bump

Scope J likes this.
  18. MrTrickle

MrTrickle Forum Resident

I picked up my 9 yr old daughter this afternoon from school and asked her about her first week back in actual school in god knows how long. She started talking about how her teacher was asking them for suggestions for a class playlist. Apparently she threw out Ocean Man. And her teacher said “Ocean Man.....by Ween?”

I might need to meet her teacher and talk of the ocean sounds....

vince, Cherrycherry, polchik and 7 others like this.
  19. Mollusk

Nice! Ween fans in the wild are always nice.

20. JakeMoss

JakeMoss Forum Resident

YES!
    I was at the Middles East show too, one of the best shows I've ever seen.
    The best show was at a dining hall at Tufts Univ in '96- just the two of them and a DAT machine. Most people left during the show; there were only about 20 people left at the end. After about 2 hours, Gene said they had 40 more songs to play and the Univ. cut the power and the lights came on. Had a blast talking to an older guy outside the show who was apparently their boss when they were younger working at a gas station. He rode up with Gene and Dean for this one-off show.

Mollusk, Echoes71 and Crispy Rob like this.
  21. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Damn - I would have loved to have seen that Tufts show! I’m still bummed that I had a chance to see them at the Middle East upstairs during the DAT years (1992?) but didn’t end up going because I couldn’t convince any of my friends to come with me. Should have just gone solo…

Another fantastic Boston set was the 1998 gig at the Roxy. Mean Ween joined them on stage for Blarney Stone vocals, and the show closer was an epic LMLYP that ended with Claude taking a drum solo and trashing his drums.

Mollusk and Crispy Rob like this.
  22. Mollusk

If i'm remembering stuff correctly, the 1998 Roxy gig is really good, it's up on YouTube.

phantasmagoria and Echoes71 like this.
  23. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing! I know I have a tape of the show somewhere in my collection but it’s good to know it’s up on YT.

Mollusk likes this.
  24. Mollusk

Oh damn, a tape? If you ever get it transferred digitally lemme know, that youtube vid is the only source we've got for that show atm.

25. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

I’ll see if I can find it. All my cassettes are in storage atm.

Mollusk likes this.