Dr. John - Gris Gris - Stereo AND Mono reissues, Kevin Gray mastering

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by senseabove, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident Thread Starter

Came across mentions of these buried in some other threads and figured they might warrant their own thread, in case some folks are as excited as I am about them.

Mono reissue (discogs link):
    Kevin Gray remaster from the original mono tapes
    Not AAA (hi-res digital transfer)
    Pressed at RTI on green swirl vinyl
    Released by Jackpot Records

Stereo reissue (discogs link):
    Kevin Gray remaster from the original stereo tapes
    AAA
    Pressed at Pallas
    Released by Speaker's Corner

There was some debate on the forum over whether the original mono is a fold-down, but there seems to be some justification for believing it's dedicated mix.

Anyway, I'd love to hear impressions of either of these, if anybody's gotten them! This is an album I've long wanted to get the audiophile treatment, even though I've got an originalish pressing that sounds pretty good (and sold another early pressing that was very murky). Especially interested in any mono vs stereo comparisons of these pressings.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  2. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Why not have both?

scotti likes this.
  3. MartinR

MartinR Forum Resident

I've got both. And they're both excellent. I prefer the mono mix, however the stereo Speaker's Corner pressing is flat and dead quiet while the Jackpot Records mono is a little noisy.

kt66brooklyn, scotti and senseabove like this.
  4. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

I may just be naive, uninformed or just easily satisfied; but the initial cd release of this title is very good.

ianuaditis and Bluesman Mark like this.
  5. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Is that the 1991 German Repertoire CD?

fenderesq likes this.
  6. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

No my mistake... it's actually the later 2000 Rhino release I have. I'd heard the Repertoire and although very good, I preferred the 2000 Rhino. I don't really remember the specifics... but I do remember I preferred the Rhino.

Bluesman Mark and Platterpus like this.
  7. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I got the Speakers Corner, Stereo to start with. Fantastic job! Cover identical to the original, laminated, 180G flat and quiet throughout. The sound is absolutely killer! The way the separation is layered with all of the awesome sounds coming at you in an almost 3D affect. There are times the vocals jump out at you and one time I got startled as hell listening to this classic! Have listened to it 3 times, twice in my sweet spot, and what an awesome ride deep down in the swamps this baby took me on! Highly Recommended. Kevin Gray delivers, yet again!

I am sure the Mono (which is not a fold down) sounds great as well, thought it was AAA as well until I read "senseabove's" initial thread post. For me, this album needs to heard in stereo to get the full experience from all of the sonic's of the sounds laced throughout! Sounds like the Jackpot Records version is not pressed as quiet as it could be...thanks to fellow member "MartinR" for their comments in regards to this. And if I may ask that person or anyone else this, why do you prefer the Mono version on a album like this?

Gumboo, polchik and frightwigwam like this.
  8. waaguirr

waaguirr Forum Resident

Bumping this for more discussion on the Speakers Corner Stereo v the Jackpot Mono.

Anybody else have insight to either, or both?

Kevin Gray on both, but to my mind this album should be heard in stereo (plus it’s AAA).

Thoughts?

Will be purchasing one of these pressings soon.

musicaner likes this.
  9. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I have yet another digital version: German Atco....

Man at C&A likes this.
  10. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Unfortunately it's from an awful dub tape. Everything in the center is out of phase, and there's some sort of primitive filtering on the whole CD. The 2000 Rhino is the best version on CD.

rxcory likes this.
  11. Jerry

Thanks, I'll order that! I do have a Rhino vinyl version that sounds nice if I recall.

Laservampire likes this.
  12. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

I had what I think was a German repress of this LP that I bought in the 80s - I say had because I sold it after picking up the Speakers Corner stereo mastered by Kevin Gray. Much better, in fact night and day better.

I'm going to play it tonight in tribute - RIP Mac

Groundcat and SoundDoctor like this.
  13. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

How does the bongo/conga break in Walk On Gilded Splinters fare in mono? I always thought that the stereo was intrinsic to how that sounded.

waaguirr likes this.
  14. Jerry

Correction. Alligator Records.

15. FakePlasticDunk

FakePlasticDunk Well-Known Member

I beg to differ. I tried the 2000 Rhino CD, and then the 2009 Rhino/ATCO boxed-set 'Original Album Series' CD, which is only marginally more dynamic by the numbers, a couple of dB here and there, but sounds waaay better to my ears - more space, clarity, spooky atmosphere, and life. YMMV, obvs.

2000 Album details - Dynamic Range Database
    2009 Album details - Dynamic Range Database

16. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

That 2009 version is the same mastering as the cruddy old european Atco CD, with the smeary stereo spread and the crinkled tape at the start of Danse Fambeaux. There is some sort of analogue filtering on that mastering which causes the hiss levels to pump (have a listen to the drum hits in the right channel at about 3:10 into "Walk On Gilded Splinters", the 2000 Rhino has consistent tape hiss all the way through, whereas the European/Original Album Series mastering has hiss that pumps along with the levels.

Dynamics and DR values aren't everything. It's not the the Rhino is DR6, it's still ridiculously dynamic at DR14

17. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

I have the colored vinyl mono cut by Kevin Gray. Anyone compared the two? Seems like majority have purchased the stereo which makes me curious to hear it. I like the mono a lot but have no basis of comparison.

18. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I have this too and like it very much. My only comparison was a UK stereo 1st issue that I decided would not see any further action on my turntable so I sold it and kept the new mono.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  19. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Was the mono mixed only with promotional (radio) play in mind? Or did they think that would be "the" mix as well?

20. sloppyjoebuck

sloppyjoebuck Well-Known Member

I bought both, being quite familiar with the stereo version and not familiar at all with the mono mix. I'd have to give the nod to the stereo if I were choosing between the two. Part of that is because I like the mix better... more atmospheric, psychedelic, dynamic. And the pressing is flat and dead quiet.

The Jackpot mono is very good too. My vinyl had a little bit of noise and required a cleaning right out of the gate (I know, I know, you're supposed to clean new records too...). The mix, to my ears, dials back on some of the other instruments and reverb and focuses more on the rhythm section and Dr. John's voice.

Stereo is a psych record, mono is an R&B record. Both are worth hearing, but vinyl quality and mix preference make me gravitate toward the Stereo version.

Gumboo and Bananas&blow like this.
  21. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I’ve got stereo and mono vinyl pressings and enjoy both. I do give the edge to the stereo for the almost 3-D imaging in some of the tracks: the background vocals on Gilded Splinters not only come from different sides of the stereo image, but also from different depths. You can almost get a sense of the room itself. Even the 2000 Rhino CD conveys a similar sense of perspective.

A one-of-a-kind album not to be missed by devotees of swampy, spooky, hoodoo music.

22. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

it was long ago determined here, the mono is not a fold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.