Dracula - New BBC mini-series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Purple Jim, Jan 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

To be honest, I liked some things about the 3rd ep. Gatis as Renfield made me literally laugh a couple times, and I actually liked the true ending - the verbal spar with Agatha/Zoe and the true death.

I just felt that the overall episode had tons of squanders potential lost. Having said that - I think the show as a whole was quite enjoyable. :)

Michael likes this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

we loved it! no complaints...liked the different takes and both leads were amazing!

3. Yes I felt that the third episode was overly ambitious in jumping forward in time and compressed too much into too little time. The twist Lao felt awkward to me with the shift to the future. Clever for sure but it was trying too hard.

chrischerm likes this.
  4. Martinn

Martinn Forum Resident

Pretty much this, once he started getting younger I knew I will lose interest.

5. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

onboard for first two episodes. The third was atrocious.

smilin ed likes this.
  6. Getting or staying younger by drinking blood is pretty much the Vampire standard thing.

marmalade166 and smilin ed like this.
  7. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I watched the 2nd episode last night. Overall better and more consistent from start to finish than the first one which I guess is in line with most comments here. Based on the overwhelmingly harsh comments about EP 3, I guess I should get good and drunk before watching it, lol!

Martinn and Michael like this.
  8. cporcp

cporcp Forum Resident

It wasn't that awful. A fresh take on an old classic is always welcome. That said, it was a bit ham-fisted in spots. I enjoyed the hybrid Van Helsing character.

chrischerm likes this.
  9. Spiny Norman

Spiny Norman Forum Resident

Yeah what was up with that? The puns were so bad, it might as well be a Bond movie. "You look a little... drained?"

10. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I enjoyed all three episodes. Sure some were better than others but as a whole it was a fun ride. Lots of rumours about a season 2 possibly getting the green light.

Michael and Mazzy like this.
  11. Michael

Damn! I hope so...my wife and I will be very happy if this comes to fruition!

12. Michael

no... just ignore the negativity and enjoy episode 3 as much as we did...pay no attention to the nay-sayers...and don't drunk! LOL! and the ending was excellent...

Purple Jim and Scope J like this.
  13. Partyslammer

I did watch the 3rd episode last night (straight I might add, lol!). It was actually better than I expected but I agree with most here it was easily the least of the series. The whole Lucy sub-plot seemed really awkwardly grafted onto the rest of the story almost like a late in production afterthought. Again, there was some good ideas and some good scenes sprinkled throughout but this one felt really padded out and poorly paced and the ending was poorly edited ruining a lot of possible dramatic impact of the conclusion.

chrischerm and Michael like this.
  14. Michael

fair enough, but I felt differently. It ended fine IMO...and was a surprise to say the least.

15. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Yeah, this is a period horror film into which they shoehorned waaay too many modern-day quips and wisecracks. It felt forced and self-conscious, as if the writer was determined to show us how clever he is, even if the dialogue detracted from the plot, pacing and mood. I have zero patience for that sort of thing. A little comic relief is fine, even cathartic, in a horror film, but not when it pulls you out of the story.

16. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

17. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

This scene was so Chris Lee! loved it!

[​IMG]

18. C4rl

C4rl Forum Resident

&

After Sunset

[​IMG]

19. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I loved the first episode so much that I was actually excited as I prepared to watch the second! And that second episode didn't let me down, but I have to say I didn't enjoy it quite as much. Good stuff, though. And Dolly Wells is fantastic! But then at the end... uh oh. I wasn't too happy about it being brought to the present day, I prefer my Draculas to be gothic and such, not texting disco girls. Anyway, the 3rd episode had its moments but I didn't enjoy it. Still love Dolly Wells, though.

Always happy to give new ideas a chance, and I understand the writers wanting to do something different but I have to say that 3rd episode didn't do it for me. 1st and 2nd were really good, though, I was riveted at times. I loved both lead roles and the actors, Dracula and Agatha/Zoe.

If they make another series, I hope they go back in time. 'Dracula Classic' is more my thing.

Martinn likes this.
  20. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Episode 1: promising start, nice atmosphere, fine acting and dialogue
    Episode 2: fine for a part 2 and there we made the mistake for a binge-watch-moment and go straight to
    Episode 3: where it seemed to mo the writers got a bit
    tired with the whole period-drama concept and just transported the lot to 2019.
    Some funny moments and some true horror, but it felt rushed and unfinished at the end....

21. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Thought it was an excellent mini-series and a great spin on the story. Great count and I loved the nod to the conclusion of the first Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing too.

Purple Jim and Anthrax like this.
  22. Partyslammer

As an FYI for anyone in the UK/Europe or those who have a region free DVD/Blu-ray player, this will be released on DVD and Blu-ray in just a few week in the UK on Feb 3rd. The good news is it appears the 3 episodes will be generously spread across two BD50 discs with about a half hour's worth of short extra features and a commentary track on EP 3.

Scope J likes this.
  23. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Omoară-mă

have rewatched that scene about a dozen times!

Michael likes this.
  24. Michael

just too cool...wow.

25. Michael

once was enough for me...

Scope J likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.