Dream Theater "Distance Over Time" (2019) album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by agentalbert, Jan 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. utopiarun

utopiarun "on the road to Utopia"

Lots of positivity in this thread! Why oh why do you come here if you can’t stand the band anymore?

It really gets tiresome.

Sorry, let the bashing continue. :rolleyes:

Tullman and Rufus rag like this.
  2. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

Touche, and I agree with your sentiment. It seems that Dream Theater built up such an expectation with their first several albums, that any releases of lesser quality are picked apart with gusto.

warewolf95 likes this.
  3. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

The Astonishing is really good. The lyrics and storyline are a bit hokey, but the music is excellent. I get that it's too long for some, and not heavy enough for others, but there are tons of good songs on it.

TStewart422, warewolf95 and jdjones like this.
  4. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Why?? Because they produced excellent music...Even when the lyrics were Petrucci cheesy (The Count of Tuscany), to name one, the music is excellent and the production is stellar. Now you have both cheesy lyrics and music that is predictable, so yea.

What is "tiresome" is they can't get out of the rut they are in and find the magic again, it is staring them in the face.....TAKE A BREAK!!!

5. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I don't see it that way (just like the Kiss thread). I think Dream Theater is a thing a lot of people felt very emotionally connected to and passionate about for a long time, so when they disappoint, it still affects us. You always want the bands you love to come back and return to form and surprise you, even after all this time...it's hard to give up hope, especially for a band that always has the potential to do so, but hasn't in over a decade. But we want to believe.

warewolf95 and stodgers like this.
  6. Claus

Claus Senior Member

A compressed record with no breath, but a much better mix.

warewolf95 and ian christopher like this.
  7. utopiarun

So, I guess The Astonishing was the same old, right? That was a completely different album concept, like it or not (I love it). They changed the way they make albums on this latest one, locked themselves away and everyone participated. I can’t make you change how you feel but give it a shot.

8. utopiarun

I love when people say “return to form”. For who, you? Can a band move on from what they did in 1994? They’re not the same people when they were 25 so don’t expect them to make the music they did back then no matter how much you want them to.

9. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

Because *that's* a value-added post right there. People have opinions. It makes the world a more interesting place.

You're obviously not even reading the comments. The majority of complaints with DT are not that people "can't stand the band anymore", it is that they have remained stylistically locked into a formula for the last ~20 years. Some albums are more satisfying representations of that formula, some are less so.

One can definitely argue that The Astonishing was not of that formula and that would be a fair argument. One could also argue that the album sucked nadz, and that would also be a fair argument.

But you want the world to agree with you on everything? What a boring place that would be.

10. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Of course not. I think DT has tried to make the same music they did when they were 25 on the S/T, and it doesn’t work. “Return to form” just means making something truly great and inspired (and surprising), it doesn’t, in their case, necessarily mean “something that sounds like old stuff.”

11. utopiarun

Well, that would be nice :p. No, I guess writing in this board pre-coffee this morning made me a bit ornery. I would just like to have the thread concentrate on the new album that's coming out on 2/22 instead of the usual "they haven't been good since Dominici/Moore/Sherinian/Portnoy was in the band" stuff we have to read on every (all 3) DT thread.

I am looking forward to the new album, I was really happy with Fall Into The Light single. Untethered Angel has improved for me over time.

Rufus rag likes this.
  12. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Looking forward to hearing this, the reviews are excellent

utopiarun likes this.
  13. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

Considering I'm responsible for one of those three threads - the Album by Album thread - I think I've done okay with providing a balance viewpoint. ;)

I think the fact not all fans are looking forward to this new album is a sentiment the band has heard loud and clear, and has made changes accordingly. For those of us who prefer our drums not be from a sample, that is progress. :)

14. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

One word: a masterpiece.

Rufus rag likes this.
  15. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

Has it been released overseas?

16. progmog

progmog Senior Member

I heard an advance copy of this, and I am liking what I am hearing.

17. Claus

Claus Senior Member

It is the best after Systematic Chaos IMO

My DT ranking

Awake
    Images and Words
    Falling into Infinity
    When Dream and Day Unite
    Scenes from a Memory
    Systematic Chaos
    Distance Over Time
    Six Degrees...
    Octavarium
    Train of Thoughts
    A Dramatic Turn of Events
    Black Clouds...
    Dream Theater
    The Astonishing

18. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

Okay, I currently have the LP in my cast with Opeth, Ayreon, Symphony X, Stratovarius, Haken, and Derek Sherinian.

In other words, I'm hedging my bets by including a wealth of other music that would offset any disappointment. :)

19. George Co-Stanza

They don't need a break. Every album they have done with Mangini this decade has been very good, and while reviews have me thinking the forthcoming album will be pretty safe, I am confident it will be another good one. While DT's peaks are clear (1992-1994, 1999-2002), they have never, IMO, made a bad album. Most bands would kill for their 10th, 11th, etc. albums to be as good as DT's were, even if those albums weren't as good as their best albums from their peak eras.

20. Catcher10

I'm not bashing DT or their recent albums. I am disappointed in the output since BC&SL as the production and performance is lacking. DT12 was getting better but not as good as ADTOE and Astonishing is the low point of the past several albums.

Sordel likes this.
  21. Catcher10

The Astonishing is their low point of the past several albums, it's very clear from the general public, it's not rated very high. I don't get what you mean, a concept album is just that a concept/story, what is different about it? If you love it then more power to you, I don't and barely like it, if I never heard it again I could be fine with that as there are tons of other material they made that is more enjoyable.

That is what I am hoping will bring their magic back is that they recorded the music for the new album in the studio together, rather than pieced together. Mangini recording drums in California, LaBrie recording vocals in Canada and the other 3 recording in NY, then emailing it all back and forth.

I have given the Astonishing several shots, no need for more.

stodgers likes this.
  22. George Co-Stanza

I don't agree, regarding The Astonishing, and I don't give a damn what the general public thought of it. The masses are dopey anyway. ;)

Anyway, the album is out in 15 days and they are releasing a 3rd song, a single if you want to call it that, tomorrow, so plenty to look forward to. :cool:

jdjones and utopiarun like this.
  23. Catcher10

I don't think I have ever counted down the days of an album release :laugh:........I am sure there will be plenty of copies to be had after the release party:pineapple:

24. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member Thread Starter

Now a third new song, "Paralyzed" has been released.

craigobau likes this.
  25. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I think the new DT sounds best as instrumental album :D see the box set.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.