Dream Theater "Distance Over Time" (2019) album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by agentalbert, Jan 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Would be nice if Mangini stuck up for himself a bit more. He's more than earned it by now.

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  2. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I've heard a bit of his solo stuff. I prefer when he plays on a proper piano as it just sounds more natural. As for his keyboard sounds I just can't get into them. Everything sounds horribly digital, thin and in the case of playing with Dream Theater downright cheesy. Sometimes less is more and Rudess certainly does not follow that format.

Stormrider77, walrus and ytserush like this.
  3. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I cannot remember the exact quotes, but I think Petrucci all but said they wanted the new drummer to be someone who could slide in and play within their established sound, rather than rock the boat and try to change things too much.

I get the impression that Rudess holds back a lot when it comes to Dream Theater's music and does his own thing on his solo albums. The rest of the album which I have not heard yet notwithstanding, his input on the first three songs on the new album sounds mostly limited to background stuff, so I suspect it will be similar to the self-titled album in that regard where his lead stuff is kinda limited, which is probably why he did a new solo album that is coming out this spring, so he can really spread his wings.

4. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

...that may be, but I can't stand its voice...it's so average and boring...

5. Anachostic

Anachostic Forum Resident

Jordan Rudess is the Steve Vai of keyboards. And to reverse the metaphor, Dream Theater would be better served with a Joe Satriani.

Stormrider77 and Tullman like this.
  6. George Co-Stanza

They were better served with Kevin Moore, but that is a rabbit hole probably not worth going down at the moment...hehe.

Purple and patel kismet like this.
  7. patel kismet

patel kismet Forum Resident

I was a great admirer of the band up to Falling. To me DT is no more since Sherinian has gone . They lost a great composer (his solos albums or Planet X 's ones are better than any last DT Albums) . What i hear now is : $$$$$$$$ . No soul, no inspiration, no depth, no melodies .... So sad that such great technicians redoing the same stuff again and again . And that sound ! That big compressed sound "all in your face" without subtlety . I have the impression that i'm hearing a computer.

8. George Co-Stanza

While I do not agree with this overall summation, I do agree with the sound issues. I&W, Awake and FII all sounded great, and then every album since has been a mixed bag. As great as Scenes is, it does suffer in the sound department at times, and some of their albums since definitely should have sounded a lot better.

patel kismet likes this.
  9. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

Haven't heard the new one yet, but my order for the others would be:

Images & Words
    Systematic Chaos
    Scenes from a Memory
    Train of Thought
    Black Clouds
    Awake
    Dream & Day
    Octavarium
    Falling Into Infinity
    Dream Theater
    Six Degrees
    Dramatic Turn
    Astonishing

10. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

To be fair, though, I certainly do not expect virtually ANY modern recording by ANY prog/metal band to be blooming with dynamics and wonderful overall sound. You're going to get loud, maximized compression no matter how you slice it. I mean, Falling Into Infinity was made 22 years ago. I'm interested in the songs, the craftsmanship, the themes and how the group functions and operates in these modern times and how all of this is interpreted through their most current music. If people think that all they're doing is recycling stuff they've already done, acting as "robots", becoming parodies of themselves, etc. whatever... That's a totally valid opinion, but I'm not really seeing or hearing that. The changes that are made will be subtle. Little nuances here and there. An example on this new release might be the idea of creating epic prog masterpieces within the span of 5 minutes! If anybody can pull it off, Dream Theater probably can. I think the fans that take the time to really listen and absorb what they're doing will be rewarded. Well, I always am anyway.

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  11. George Co-Stanza

I like this attitude!

This is their 14th album. Most bands never make it to 14 albums or are sucking swamp water by then, so if Dream Theater gives us an album that is merely "good," I won't be complaining too much. Everything I am reading tells me it will be a pretty safe record, but what bands are reinventing the wheel on Album # 14?

12. patel kismet

patel kismet Forum Resident

At this pace, they could release 14 other "good" albums .

13. fitzchris72

fitzchris72 Forum Resident

Got the vinyl today. Side 4 is pressed SUPER OFF CENTER. So disappointing.

14. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Not holding my breath, but how's the hi-res? I know the hi-res versions of some of their recent efforts (but not the last one) were different/less-compressed masters.

15. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Listening to it now on streaming and, yes, it's good: “return to form” good even. It's heavier than the last three, with at last some weight in the drums. There seem to be fewer flights of fancy from Rudess as well although the whole thing sounds exactly like modern Dream Theater so that can be overstated.

George Co-Stanza and Dmann201 like this.
  16. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Unfortunately brick walled... really a shame as I thought they would go against the trend when they released Hi Res versions of their albums from Systematic Chaos through to the S/T which were better than expected. Here is the DR logs if anyone is interested: Album details - Dynamic Range Database

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed folder: /Users/jeremywilson/Downloads/Dream Theater/Distance Over Time (Bonus track version)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Filename

DR6 -0.50 dB -7.93 dB Dream Theater - 10. Viper King (Bonus track).wav
    DR6 -0.21 dB -8.25 dB Dream Theater - 09. Pale Blue Dot.wav
    DR6 -0.52 dB -7.81 dB Dream Theater - 02. Paralyzed.wav
    DR6 -0.41 dB -8.05 dB Dream Theater - 04. Barstool Warrior.wav
    DR6 -0.22 dB -8.15 dB Dream Theater - 01. Untethered Angel.wav
    DR6 -0.58 dB -7.92 dB Dream Theater - 06. S2N.wav
    DR7 -0.49 dB -10.34 dB Dream Theater - 07. At Wit's End.wav
    DR6 -0.49 dB -8.51 dB Dream Theater - 03. Fall into the Light.wav
    DR6 -0.54 dB -10.18 dB Dream Theater - 08. Out of Reach.wav
    DR6 -0.47 dB -7.28 dB Dream Theater - 05. Room 137.wav

Number of files: 10
    Official DR value: DR6

==============================================================================================

drum_cas and jay.dee like this.
  17. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

On the wave of the band's return to form I have been recently sampling their live releases with Jordan Rudess to see whether this way I can warm up to their post-Moore/Sherinian material. Especially that the old stuff is revisited there too and the new stuff gets sometimes unusual or less studio-manicured treatment.

So out of those six live releases (Live Scenes from New York, Live at Budokan, Score, Chaos in Motion, Live at Luna Park and Breaking the Fourth Wall), which one do you consider the tour de force performance of the Rudess lineups so far, from the purely audio track's perspective?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  18. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Personally, I'd go with Budokan and/or Score as those are easily the best from that list.

jay.dee likes this.
  19. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Awake is the last good sounding DT album. DR 9. I’m sure Petrucci is responsible for the low sound quality. Deaf like Townshend & co.

I listen to DT in my car only.

Anonamemouse likes this.
  20. TheSaltman

TheSaltman Heaven or Las Vegas?

The music is really good but the production and mixing are rather dreadful.

21. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

This release literally hurt my ears on the commute to work this morning. When the mix gets really busy it ends up becoming harsh white noise and nothing is recognizable other than John Petrucci's front heavy guitars. Agreed that the music is good but the rest leaves a lot to be desired.

22. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Haven't ripped mine yet to see how the hi res and 5.1 are on disc but have been spinning the CD and it sounds "okay". Definitely too compressed but doesn't sound distorted. The mix is a bit strange though. The bass drum comes through pretty well and has some kick, but the bass guitar gets lost most of the time and when it can be heard it's not exactly low and deep either.

The production on the vocals is a bit annoying too, too much echo/reverb.

Still, so far it's a solid album. Loving that most of songs are on the shorter side and not just full of constant noodling.

Scroller likes this.
  23. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Bass guitar being lost is par for the course with Dream Theater. I don't think I have been able to hear John Myung properly since Scenes from A Memory, he truly is The Silent Man lol.

24. progmog

progmog Senior Member

Just one quick listen on the way to work today, but I would venture to say that it is "very good".

Tullman and Scroller like this.
  25. TheSaltman

TheSaltman Heaven or Las Vegas?

Production in DT has gone downhill after Portnoy left the band. He and Petrucci used to produce the albums together. That's not to say past DT albums were audiophile material, but sounded much better nonetheless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.