Drive-By Truckers - The Unraveling, Jan 31 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Graham, Nov 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

My copy finally arrived Friday. I observed no problems with the pressing, flat, centered and clean. I almost always have to baptize new records these days but this one was clean, not dust, residue, or trash on it and it played great, no pops or crackles. It sounded good, crisp with lots of detail heard. Someone said it sounded compressed but I didn't get that from what I heard. Of course I might not understand "compressed" as a listener. But it sounded open and full to my ears.

2. scotto

scotto Senior Member

I have several friends who went and reported it was one of the best shows they've seen. And these are folks who've seen DBT countless times. Wish I could've been there.

SteveFff and Larry Loves LPs like this.
  3. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

My copy is also marbled (I’m colorblind and the sticker is buried in the trash so I can’t confirm the color(s)). It sounds fine (could probably use a cleaning) and is centered.

That stinks! Sorry to hear about your ankle. I was under the weather for a few days last week and worried that I’d miss the show. I missed Guided By Voices a month or so ago due to sickness and know the crappiness.

It was a phenomenal concert. Tight, loud but audible, and rawkin. It was also my first DBT show (not sure if I had mentioned that).

scotto and Larry Loves LPs like this.
  4. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

If this album is as whiny as Hood is on Twitter, I'll pass.

Haven't been too thrilled with DBT anyway since Creation's Dark. Lack of Cooley is another negative for me and Hood's songwriting has become predictable and samey.

I'm with @MYKE in that I haven't pulled out a DBT record in over a year.

Myke likes this.
  5. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

isn't whining what twitter was made for? If you participate in that platform, and follow someone you obviously don't like or agree with, who's fault is it?

FWIW, it's a GREAT record.

6. Exile On My Street

I don't follow any musicians on Twitter but when I first joined I did check a few of them out and ultimately decided it was too negative and nothing about music. See Isbell as well.

Now I only follow investors, which was my purpose for joining Twitter anyway.

7. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Wait. You use social media for investment ideas, advice, opportunities? Call me an old man but that just sounds crazy. Gotta go, I go another call on my landline from "Debbie" on a recorded line. I think it is about my credit score, or possibly an investment opportunity. Of course it could be "Rachel" that just needs a little personal information to straighten up an issue with my social security benefits.

8. Exile On My Street

Certain ones are very helpful, and they're all professionals. I don't follow Joe the mechanic who purchased TSLA on his Robinhood app..LOL

Tony Dwyer, Pete Najarian, and a few lesser knowns I follow give excellent advice. I don't listen to all of it, sometimes none of it. I will say though, one in particular has been spot on! I don't know who she is, she's quite private, but wow she knows her stuff! Dwyer is up there as well.

As always I do my own research/charts, etc.. before investing...or not investing.

9. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Nice album:edthumbs::cheers:

Rockford & Roll and scotto like this.
  10. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

I finally got to give this a listen. It's been in my wife's vehicle since we got it. We went out to pick up supper last night and drive a few backroads. A great initial listen. It will take some time to let it sink in and give it more listens to see where it ranks in the band's catalogue. So far really darn good.

11. RMD

RMD Forum Resident

Was lucky to catch them twice early on the Unraveling tour before everything got shut down. The new songs sounded amazing live.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  12. Still my favourite album released this year.First couple of listens I didn’t like it as much as the great American Band but that has changed.
    By the way Patterson and Mike are both doing streaming concerts.First ones were on this weekend I think.

Rockford & Roll and RMD like this.
  13. Larry Loves LPs

Larry Loves LPs Forum Resident

I had tickets to see them in DC before the shut down but I broke my damn ankle that day. Ugh

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  14. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

Was going to see them in Indy but everything shut down in a matter of hours and the show was postponed.

15. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

16. Graham

Graham Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks for alerting me to that Homecoming download as I didn't know it was there despite downloading Quarantine Together a couple of months ago from Bandcamp.

I bought the 3-day download and separated it into days using the artwork for each day. Almost finished Thursday and it's a solid gig. Brilliant in parts.

17. Graham

There's some new live shows on Bandcamp for those interested (I think the three Homecoming shows is more than enough for me right now) and a new single.

The single artwork is credited to The DBTs. Patterson Hood recently wrote this article about how the band's name might be offensive now. It's unclear to me whether this is a permanent name change.

Now, About The Bad Name I Gave My Band

18. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

I tried to read that article which is a bit rambly, but got mostly through it.

I’m still trying to work out why the band name might be offensive, not sure if he even knows or explained it to be honest. Is the article meant to be satirical?

DBT is a crappy name though.

19. Graham

No, it’s a serious article on NPR (unless the joke is completely lost on me). I struggle to see how it’s offensive too. Drive-by shootings were mainly an issue in the black community in the mid-90s so trivialising that in a jokey band name is racist? Seems a bit of a stretch to me.

20. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Just bought the new releases; haven't listened yet. Seems like a good way to spend the 4th of July weekend - musically, at least. Isbell has put a couple of things out today on Bandcamp as well.

21. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Yeah I'm tempted by those new shows, but I can't see them topping the Homecoming. I enjoyed the hell out of those.

22. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing. I don't see the name as racist but I can see his plight for transparent and ultimate empathy. It seems he feels the joke of a name exists at the expense of stereotypes and realities of two cultures. I don't think they need to change it but I respect his thoughts.

I'm enjoying the new album and it's sounds really great on vinyl! I'm a bigger Cooley fan but Patterson is probably more prolific with the pen. Both are great writers.

23. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

They always give Greg Calbi credit for mastering. Of course he doesn't cut vinyl anymore. I wonder if the vinyl cutting engineer works from his notes when cutting frome the master tape (source)?

I've always wondered if they kept it all analog. My guess is yes.

24. CriticalMaasCollectibles

CriticalMaasCollectibles Singularity Watcher

Lacquer was cut by Joe Nino-Hernes at Sterling Sound, according to Discogs.

mikemoon likes this.
  25. CriticalMaasCollectibles

CriticalMaasCollectibles Singularity Watcher

A few listens in... this is one damn good album!

On sky "marbled" vinyl, was dirty as hell until I washed it, but MAN! This is a winner.

mikemoon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.