Drum dampening gels- same as onzow zerodust?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by statcat, Jul 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. statcat

statcat Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was told they work just as well as the overpriced onzow zerodust for cleaning a stylus. I believe they're a similar material. Anyone use them and can confirm they work?

2. vs_jk

vs_jk Forum Resident

I've never used the Onzow but can verify that the Moongel dampening pads work very well. I have a two step stylus tip cleaning method. I dip into magic cleaner a couple times and then into the Moongel to remove any dust/debris on the tip.

3. arem

arem Forum Resident

I've used Moongel for a couple of years now, never had a problem and it works great.

bluenosens and statcat like this.
  4. statcat

What is magic cleaner?

5. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

I use an audio Technica SA 637 vibrating cleaner have done for years, I have two of them, I tried the VP sticky thing it works, but the hight of my platter makes it a bit of a problem.

6. cjc

cjc Senior Member

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Wally Swift and 33na3rd like this.
  7. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

I set my Hana stylus onto a moongel pad and it stuck to the cantilever and I thought it was going to pull it out. Back to using my Last
    Stylus cleaner and brushes.

hi_watt and VinylSoul like this.
  8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

9. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

The moongel works good for me. I tried it after my onzow wore out after a few years. I leave the pads stacked in the plastic container they come in. That ma kes the top pad the perfect height when I sit it on the plinth of my MH 7.1 and lower the needle into it. Works great.

10. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Zero dust costs $40 on Amazon with free shipping. It lasts for years and is trusted by reviewers and analogue fans all over the world.
    Unless these dampening gels are safer and more effective in cleaning the stylus, why risk it?

E.Baba likes this.
  11. statcat

Does onzow reveal what their material is? Curious to know the material of moongel as well.

spridle likes this.
  12. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

I'll be honest, I think the moongel works a little better.

You are right, the cost of an Onzow is not bad at all considering how long they last. Used to be $60-$80 but I got mine for $36 a few years ago from a Japanese seller on ebay.

E.Baba likes this.
  13. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

I had a massive gunk issue a while back. Not matter what i tried, i couldn't remove a big hairy glob off my stylus.
    My records were sounding terrible as a result.

Started researching and came across the onzow. Was alarmed at the price. Further research threw up the blu tak option...

I was skeptical...

However, I was also broke. So I gave it a go...that hairy gunk ball didnt know what hit it!!!

Blutak for life now.

For me, when ever there is a ridiculously cheap alternative in the hifi world, I naturally approach with suspicion. But time and time again, I'm always left utterly satisfied with the results. The ikea bamboo chopping boards are another great example.

cjc and 33na3rd like this.
  14. Daddy Dom

Daddy Dom Lodger

Blu-tak users, have a look at the residue it leaves on the wall and ask yourself, what is this doing to my stylus? I'm sorry, I don't know the answer but I know it's something oily ...

Adamski777 and Timbo21 like this.
  15. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

16. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

If i lightly touch a piece of blu tak onto a wall momentarily, it doesnt leave oily residue.
    But if i pull a piece of blu tak off the wall, thats been there since 1998, holding up a poster of Pamela Anderson, then yes, there is oily residue.

Im not to worried about anything a very light and very quick touch once a month of blu tak will do to my stylus.

17. cjc

cjc Senior Member

No residue to report with the DAP BluStik brand. I don't know about the other brands....maybe they do.

18. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

To save money. For that it only need be equally safe, not moreso.

19. Jeffreylee

Jeffreylee Rock 'n' Roll Typist

Because a lifetime supply of Moongel costs $7.64. Hell, it’s enough for two lifetimes.

20. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

21. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Once a month, really? Or maybe you don't play many records, I use it a lot more often than that, probably every 5-10 sides with normal brushing after each side, and haven't seen any issues.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  22. Jeffreylee

Jeffreylee Rock 'n' Roll Typist

Every two sides, minimum, is my jam.

23. cjc

cjc Senior Member

24. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Can you walk into a brick and mortar store and purchase moongel, or is it an online only thing?

25. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Guitar Centers all have it for about 6 bucks.

Just checked, the one in Eugene has it in stock.

Kristofa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.