Drumroll please: indy mike's pick ONE tune per hour tune of the week: movie music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by indy mike, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

9:00 pick: "Hub Caps and Tail Lights", from Breakfast at Tiffany's. Otherwise known as the stripper's music. With a bari sax carrying the melody. Can life get any better than this?? :D

With an appropriate quote from the movie....Holly Golightly: "My! Do you think she's handsomely paid?"

2. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

And Glass again for Kundun.

doug

3. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

And speaking of obsessive record collectors protrayed in movies, there's Daniel Stern having a major blowout with his new wife, Ellen Barkin, in Diner over her misfiling of one of his treasured LPs. (His were Alpha by genre, and she had "stupidly" filed James Brown under jazz, or some similar blunder).

His passion, and her total uncomprehension of how it could really matter that much when "I just wanted to hear some music" hit home for me (and I'm sure just about everybody here).

FYI: Hi-Fi author Nick Hornby has a new one out that's a collection of essays on his favorite records with a "mix tape" included on disk. Anyone have it yet? It was favorably reviewed in this past Sunday's NY Times.

doug

4. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest Thread Starter

Yep, Otis Day and the Knights woulda been my choice too, John - "Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll - you know you make me wanna SHOUT!!!" Otis, my man.......

5. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

You're right, Jimbo--Crowe's mom definitely got her money's worth out of all those concert tix!

doug

6. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Thanks Mike - now you've said it I don't need to give up my vote of the hour.
    You're Going To Lose That Girl from Help. I love the atmosphere in the "studio" ciggie smoke and all. That one always makes me nostalgic and it features the only time a chain saw was used on a Beatles record :)

7. -=Rudy=-

"Mrs. Robinson" from The Graduate--my 10:00am pick.

8. indy mike

How the heck can we have a movie music thread and have mentioned The Commitments yet???? I love Mustang Sally ("Roid, Sally, Roid") - that whole flick is hilarious, and the music is superb - I gotta slap that digital drink coaster in and crank it up (snow day, another snow day so I get to plaaaay)...

9. indy mike

Sloop John - new hour, so post again!!!! :D

10. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

(Theme From) Valley of the Dolls - Dionne Warwick

11. indy mike

Actually, I can't slap The Commitments in just yet - I was in a garagey mood this morning and a Pebbles disc from 1990 or so is pounding away (hey chip hp - Murphy and the Mob are howlin' away on Born Loser as I type - Tyler, Texas boys, from a mighty poppy-clicky 45 yeesh)...

12. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Who can turn down an official free pass from the Thread President himself??

Hmmm I loved Stardust as a kid - the one with David Essex. It was my first introduction to many 60's songs. I'll go with one of the made-for-the-movie cover versions: "When Will I Be Loved" by the Stray Cats (with Dave Edmunds).

13. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

VANGELIS: BLADE RUNNER

The Atlantic soundtrack CD has some extra, non-Vangelis music, but it's his mesmerizing score that propels the film. Along with 2001, the only other sci-film that screams out that it must be seen in a theater with the widest screen possible. A THX sound system would also be nice. We all know how much great sound means to a great experience...

ED:cool:

14. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Harold and Maude (one of the greatest "cult classic" films of all time) features some Cat Stevens tunes. "If You Want To Sing Out, Sing Out" and "Where Do The Children" play come to mind, I think there were a couple others as well.

15. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

Soundtrack of the day:
    Sea of love - Starting Al Pacino and Ellen Barkin,...I think.

16. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Love Man - Otis Redding from Dirty Dancing

17. indy mike

Tequilla - The Champs - Pee Wee's Big Adventure - "ha, haaaaa, ha - I know you are, but what am I"???

18. -=Rudy=-

"After The Fox", music by Burt Bacharach, vocals by The Hollies and Peter Sellers. Corny, yes, but the kids like to sing along to it. :)

19. indy mike

Dazed and Confused - Tush - if that's how Texas was in the good old daze whenentering high school, I'm glad my buttocks were safely waaaay far away in the Hoosier State!

20. -=Rudy=-

How can we forget "Ride of the Valkyries" from Apocalypse Now?

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. It smells like.......victory."

21. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

RE: El Topo

Must have been the italian. Sure is a lot of movies we can't get over here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    a nineties movie song pic:
    "There's Something About Mary"-Jonathan Richman, from the movie of the same name. As a longtime Jonathan fan, I was shocked when he made his appearance at the beginning of the film.

22. indy mike

Endless Summer - theme to Endless Summer - never seen it, but that tune catches a wave and shoots the curl (did I say that right, o' surfin' birds out there)???

23. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

LEONARD COHEN: "McCabe & Mrs. Miller" soundtrack

What an inspiration: have Cohen rerecord some songs and stick them perfectly in context with this strange, unforgettable anti-western, setting a mood equally strange, evocative, and unique. "Stranger Song" is best known, but all were among Cohen's very best, and with soundtracks, unless there's one specific song that towers over the rest, I have to go with the whole. The mystery is, why the originals weren't used....the redos are very close to the Columbia versions...

ED:cool:

24. -=Rudy=-

A timeless melody: "Last Tango in Paris"...Gato Barbieri's title track, and all the variations on the soundtrack CD. Never have seen the movie to see how appropriate the music is. ;)

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Meet Joe Black-Love Theme...absolutely beautiful:thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.