Drums on Pink Floyd's "Mother"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rubberpigg, Jul 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Andy Newmark on Two Suns In One Sunset.
    A myriad of people playing drums on the entire AMLOR album (which tracks are Nick even on? Can’t be many)

Gilmour reportedly played bass on a lot of stuff after WYWH. Not just the fretless bits.

Re Mother: it is more a question of Nick being at a loss. He played it fine live once he had a drumpart to learn.

tug_of_war, Crimson jon and NunoBento like this.
  2. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

I can't imagine The Wall was a particularly enjoyable experience for Nick in the studio. The considerable egos of Gilmour, Waters and Ezrin clashing. His long time friend and bandmate Rick Wright kicked out and so on. Maybe he just thought, f*** it, there is my drum track, take it or leave it.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    tug_of_war and Luisboa like this.
  3. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Yeah. I'd imagine most bass parts post-Wish are David.

4. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

My view is to not worry too much about who really plays what on these classic albums we revere. Best not to know sometimes... the litmus test for me is can they play live.

NunoBento likes this.
  5. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Which by then, PF employed a 2nd drummer/percussionist on stage.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  6. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

There is one downbeat per bar, not seven. Also here is the composer of the song saying it's in 7/8 (jump to time 11:09)

7. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Some Floyd songs are deceptively tricky. One of the bands specialties, from my perspective, was taking something a bit tricky and making it sound simple.
    In reality one of the reasons Floyd were so successful was this ability to do tricky stuff but present it in a way that sounded fairly simple. Most people actually prefer simple.

8. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

The first part is absolutely dreadful

It seems that from the chorus on he finally found how to drum the song.

at 2:00 there's something like a "drum glitch". Perhaps a new drum track was put for the second part, because is notoriously different than the first one

9. Kim Olesen

On beats then. I am not english.

But what would i know. I only have a masters degree in jazzplaying from the conservatoire. The highest degree you can get... Akin to Berklee but the difference being that you can’t buy tour way in to a Danish conservatoire.

A lot of people are illeterate when it comes to naming signatures correctly. Gilmour included.

10. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

Shouldn't every band have one song w/ Jeff Porcaro on drums!! Don't The stones have one classic song w/o their classic drummer, You cant always get what you want- does not have charlie watts on drumset. for different circumstances perhaps.

VHND and George P like this.
  11. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

I have no idea if it's 7/4, 7/8 or 57/435, but man, that's a bold statement. You will be held accountable for it :D

12. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

Oh I looked it up , same situation w/ the Stones!

13. Kim Olesen

I know right. People are going to have a field day. But it what it is. Gilmour have no schooling and is excused for not getting right. I have and i am right.

14. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

...boy how narcissistic can one be.

Lands End Drums and 24voltsdc like this.
  15. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

He can count it in 48 if he feels like it. I think we can all agree that Gilmour has the lick to "Money" down pretty well.

16. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

you better be careful out at recess today... you might get your lunch money stolen, or maybe stuffed into a locker...;)

17. Kim Olesen

Ignore me if you can’t stand me!

That goes for everyone else who can’t handle me weighing in with litteracy in matters music.

ropiyas, Gila and Kate_C. like this.
  18. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

Through the years I have played in cover bands that were more than capable of negotiating songs like these, among other far more complex songs I might add, however, every drummer in those seats struggled with this song.

To all their credit, they eventually worked this song through very nicely, but in the end it was dropped from every setlist.

Love the song for the depth and emotional honesty in the lyrics. What truly stands out to me musically is the simplistic chord structure that magnificently supports such complex emotion in the lyrics.

NunoBento, g.z. and Cool hand luke like this.
  19. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I don't mind you weighing in on the music, but I do mind your insulting comments about illiteracy and buying your way in. This isn't a contest

20. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

A good reason to re-listen to this album again! :righton:

MitchLT and Acoustic Warrior like this.
  21. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Another factor, likely, was the incredible amount of work to be done on a deadline. I’m sure Mason could’ve worked it out if that wasn’t a factor. But, as said above, these guys were not that precious about such things.

MitchLT and tug_of_war like this.
  22. Kim Olesen

Then put me on your ignore list....

I did not once insult anybody. Being undchooled is no shame. Some of the best music in the world are made by unschooled/illeterate musicians.

The only one who handed out an insult was folkfreak!

Gila and Kate_C. like this.
  23. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

Disclosure:
    Yesterday was the first time I heard "Mother " with Nick Mason. :D
    I learn/hear new things here at SH Forums also.

Crimson Witch and tug_of_war like this.
  24. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I went to Berklee (for music production, not a degree in performance), your comment about "paying your way in" rather than actually having to be talented to go there was insulting and completely unrelated to the topic

Lands End Drums and 24voltsdc like this.
  25. Kim Olesen

Oh it was you who felt insulted?

For that i apologize!

1-isn’t that the way it is on Berklee. You pay and and then you are screened for your level? Exactly as MI in LA?

Lownote30 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.