Dry-mounting press DOES work to flatten records

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CMT, Sep 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CMT

CMT Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just for what it may be worth to anyone: I've long wondered if a dry-mounting press could be successfully and safely used to flatten a warped record. Thing is, I don't have any warped records and never have--until this week. I ordered a box set of Schubert sonatas in "near-mint" condition. They came with obvious and audible scratches and badly warped to boot--"cupped" would be a better word. Playable (barely) on the side with the cup turned bottom-up, so to speak (raised at the spindle, down against the platter at the perimeter), unplayable the other way around (with the low part at the spindle, the outer edge raised up).

Being a photographer and artist, I own an old-fashioned dry-mounting press. As these records were already trash, more or less. I tried it for the first time.

1. Press on lowest setting (180 degrees F), having read that vinyl melts at 190 degrees F
    2. Sandwiched the disc, after cleaning, between two sheets of "release board" (thick cardboard with a very smooth surface that doesn't stick to things--made for this purpose: for use in this kind of press).
    3. Locked down the press, plugged it in and waited until the temp light went out, indicating it had warmed to the set temperature.
    4. Unplugged it immediately and left the disc to cool overnight (longer than necessary; just needs to cool completely while still locked in the press, which usually takes about three hours).

When I opened the press, the record was quite flat--not perfect but flat enough to play with no trouble AND heating briefly to this temperature and under the pressure of the press at that temperature apparently did no damage to the grooves.

So, if you have a warped record problem and happen to know someone with a dry-mounting press, you might try this. No guarantees. May not work on all records or in all presses, but it's one data point at least.

black sheriff and JohnO like this.
  2. CMT

CMT Forum Resident Thread Starter

OOPS!: RETRACTION--On closer examination of the record above, there IS SOME DAMAGE to the grooves. It's not all over the disc, though, so I suspect it was close to the tolerance of the plastic temperature-wise--just a little too hot!

I'll need to try this again, maybe not allowing the equipment to warm up all the way. I can use the other two records to experiment with. For the time being, I DO NOT recommend this, unless you're experimenting with an already-trashed record. Heating to a full 180 degrees F is too much.

3. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

It is still worth it for the experimental real world knowledge. I hope you find a good working temperature.

CMT likes this.
  4. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.