dsd mastering

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by realjem1, Mar 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. realjem1

realjem1 New Member Thread Starter

hi steve, just curious as to the difference between a dat master,and a dsd master? alan

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Well, here is the scoop.

A DAT master is made from an analog master tape (let's say "Dark Side Of The Moon"). The DAT is essentially the same sampling rate as a CD. So a DAT and a CD have the same resolution and sonic signature.

A DSD master cannot be made from a DAT, because the DSD process sampling rate is much, much higher. Therefore, the DAT must be eliminated and a new DSD master must be also made from the original master tape. The DSD tape has a higher resolution than a DAT, but the sonic signature stays the same.

The fun thing about DSD mastering for SACD, is that (at least in my case), the DSD unit on the west coast is at my disposal, whenever I need to use it, complete with operator. Those Sony dudes are way cool.

That make sense?

3. realjem1

makes sense steve but what would happen if you made a gold cd (not sacd) from a dsd master .would any of the benefits translate to a better sounding cd? I think your gold cds, especially the miles davis titles sound as if they could have been mastered via dsd,although the technology probably did not exist at that time.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I don't like to mix and match technologies.

In my opinion the DSD process does not lend itself well to CD PCM downsampling.

Apples and oranges.

I feel that using a DSD sourced master to make a CD would be worse than using a PCM master.

And you can quote me, folks! ;)

5. realjem1

Thanks Steve:) :cool:

6. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

"I feel that using a DSD sourced master to make a CD would be worse than using a PCM master. "

-- Steve Hoffman, noted mastering guru

Got it. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.